Coming after Vitello

Everyone of those schools play on campus.

Miami was one of the first programs in the country to get a top notch stadium on campus. Those other schools might play off campus occasionally, but you are correct.

Tony Vitello makes $460,000 as the head coach. That’s an absurdly low cost. We could make him one of the highest paid coaches in all of college baseball and not even have to break $1,000,000 which is chump change.

The ROI is not as high as basketball or football obviously, but you can easily break even or turn a small profit if you play your cards right. And why would we not do that for a coach who will win us championships one day? Take same money from the trash football program if we have to.
I agree and disagree but football, even though you feel it’s trash is also followed and televised in a way that makes it much much more profitable, albeit down.
I’d love to see the numbers, tv contract if there is one?
Like I said before, my perspective is as the typical fair weathered fan as it pertains to baseball.... love when they are good but wouldn’t miss a thing if they were a top 10 team. Usually I barely know baseball is even going on.

Nothing against Coach Corbin at all, but "Opportunity Vanderbilt" gives them a pretty clear advantage.
Incidentally, Corbin is taking heat from the Vanderbilt administration for his complimenting Tennessee on the weekend series. He said the enthusiasm of the Vol fans was a good thing & jokingly said that "Covid must not exist in Knoxville". GBO

Bill king is the last person to have any clue what’s going on in college baseball

With that said sure schools are going to want TV. Next thing you know king will tell us water is wet

Reactions: feathersax
AM or Mizzou most likely
Why would any logical human being take the Mizzou Job over Tennessee? Tennessee is 13/14 in facilities Mizzou is clearly 14th. Plus the fact that Missouri is in the Midwest far away from the recruiting base of the South. No kid from Florida wants to play in Missouri in the freezer for 3 months.

Why would any logical human being take the Mizzou Job over Tennessee? Tennessee is 13/14 in facilities Mizzou is clearly 14th. Plus the fact that Missouri is in the Midwest far away from the recruiting base of the South. No kid from Florida wants to play in Missouri in the freezer for 3 months.

Mizzu has gotten some solid players from Georgia.

I’ve said for years facilities are way over emphasized. It’s really not a big part of the formula for winning. Look no further than florida and vandy for proof that facilities are overrated

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Mizzu has gotten some solid players from Georgia.

I’ve said for years facilities are way over emphasized. It’s really not a big part of the formula for winning. Look no further than florida and vandy for proof that facilities are overrated
The facilities at UT that most fans don’t see, like locker room, weight room, indoor cages, player lounge, etc is nice and has been expanded and revamped recently. Nothing wrong with those areas. Aesthetics of the stadium is what needs to be improved...for the fan experience and revenue, etc. I agree with you 100% that facilities are not the end all be all in baseball recruiting. No doubt it helps, but I agree. As you mentioned, FL won a natty with one of the worst stadiums and facilities in the conference at the time.

Incidentally, Corbin is taking heat from the Vanderbilt administration for his complimenting Tennessee on the weekend series. He said the enthusiasm of the Vol fans was a good thing & jokingly said that "Covid must not exist in Knoxville". GBO
I think that's something that can't be discounted. There's a hunger at UT. It's a program that's ready to take off. He's started something here. Won't say he's built the program but he's in a position to put his stamp on something that he's created. If UT will give him the kind of support(salary/facilities) that he'd get at places like LSU, aTm, and Arky, I think UT could hold on to him. I know the money is there to do what it takes. UT had better make the commitment and they'd better be quick about it.

I can’t say if CTV will leave for another program or not, but I am 100% confident that it will not be for Missouri. Remember he wanted and applied for that job right before landing the Tennessee job. I don’t see any way he goes back there after they spurned him. Not to mention as you said, it’s easily the worst job in the SEC.

I think that's something that can't be discounted. There's a hunger at UT. It's a program that's ready to take off. He's started something here. Won't say he's built the program but he's in a position to put his stamp on something that he's created. If UT will give him the kind of support(salary/facilities) that he'd get at places like LSU, aTm, and Arky, I think UT could hold on to him. I know the money is there to do what it takes. UT had better make the commitment and they'd better be quick about it.
I definitely thinks he wants to be at UT. Would be a tough situation to be the one hired to follow a long-time or “legendary” coach at LSU or Arky for example. That usually doesn’t work out for the guys that follow right after. CTV doesn’t seem like the type to want to be in someone else’s shadow. He has a chance here to build his own legend status and “be the man”. Yes, delmonico was good, but this is a different era. CTV can build a champion, help revitalize the stadium and put us on the map for years to come. I think that would be attractive to most high level coaches. So UT needs to take care of him and assist him in every way possible for that to happen.

Agree 100%.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Everyone of those schools play on campus.
You must be thinking baseball exclusively...I guess I wasn't thinking of just baseball so that's the confusion - I guess. Again....I want an on campus SEC worthy baseball facility too...but as far as a close site "off campus" I would think baseball MIGHT be the easiest to accomplish.

The facilities at UT that most fans don’t see, like locker room, weight room, indoor cages, player lounge, etc is nice and has been expanded and revamped recently. Nothing wrong with those areas. Aesthetics of the stadium is what needs to be improved...for the fan experience and revenue, etc. I agree with you 100% that facilities are not the end all be all in baseball recruiting. No doubt it helps, but I agree. As you mentioned, FL won a natty with one of the worst stadiums and facilities in the conference at the time.
Both of those may not have the best facilities that you see but their hitting and pitching facilities are state of the art and have been for a while. Two of the leading programs in using technology. Along with a great weight facilities. I think most of the facilities below are way better since this staff arrived but all of it is very small. Coach V had a lot of upgrades done when he arrived but the space was very limited to do it the way he wants. The entire team cannot fit in the video room at one time without guys sitting on the floor. The weight room is very small and everyone cannot work out at one time. The hitting/pitching indoor facility is a metal building with no air conditioning. There are training facilities in Knoxville that are nicer than the facilities that the baseball team has right now. I think that is the stuff that TV wants upgraded and enlarged long before the seating arrangements or box seats. That is the stuff that it takes to produce champions. Technology is vital today.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I can’t say if CTV will leave for another program or not, but I am 100% confident that it will not be for Missouri. Remember he wanted and applied for that job right before landing the Tennessee job. I don’t see any way he goes back there after they spurned him. Not to mention as you said, it’s easily the worst job in the SEC.
He played for Mizzou. There is not 100% chance he wouldn’t take that job.

Reactions: Y9 Vol and Bigun
You must be thinking baseball exclusively...I guess I wasn't thinking of just baseball so that's the confusion - I guess. Again....I want an on campus SEC worthy baseball facility too...but as far as a close site "off campus" I would think baseball MIGHT be the easiest to accomplish.

We're in the baseball forum...what else would he be talking about? Just say, "Sorry, I was wrong," instead of doubling down with nonsense.

Vol fan in the heart of Aggieland here. I have seen a number of posts on some Aggie message boards expressing interest in Vitello. With Tennessee coming here this weekend, they are interested in seeing him up close. Hope Tennessee does what they to keep him in Knoxville. GBO!
If you're stuck in "the heart of Aggieland", i.e. College Station, you have my sympathies. Otherwise, the prospect of having to live there is the best reason for him to stay in Knoxville.

Reactions: robcovol
Full disclosure I really don’t follow college baseball as a whole but do when the vols are competitive... with that said, what kind of return on investment does baseball have in college baseball? Good, bad, break even? Reason I ask is, would a large commitment to Coach V and baseball be realistic accounting the return?

I'm not sure what kind of ROI baseball produces. I do know that Vitello makes around $500K plus other incentives. I also know the football program just paid a coach $900K to be here for two months and leave. That wasn't a good ROI. And it's the admin that would do that kind of thing that has me worried as to whether they will pony up the money for the baseball program. Maybe Danny White's admin will be better, but I'm still in a wait/see mode.

I'm sure UT can afford another 300-400k to bring Vitello to the top third or quarter of the SEC. I also don't think that another 150k-250k on top of that for staff and support is an issues. Those are such small figures for a school like UT. I think the worry is a commitment to facilities. I think this comes with success and the timeline will be for the school to commit to exploring enhancing facilities. Vitello and staff get raises. Funding for the enhancements. Based on funding a timeline will be developed for implementation.

I think we're overlooking the fact that the raise is peanuts compared to the bigger picture and that the school just needs time to see what is going on with the minor league field proposal for downtown and exploring the possibility of a partnership.

We're in the baseball forum...what else would he be talking about? Just say, "Sorry, I was wrong," instead of doubling down with nonsense.
LOL....I didn't notice it was the baseball forum but just a baseball question. I thought it was a general posting....I'll stand by my original post...it was just misinterpreted...CLEARLY....other sports have been successful ....But no problem...Nonsense?? I can show you nonsense "probably"...and this aint it....AND AGAIN I WANT AN ON CAMPUS FACILITY...

I'm sure UT can afford another 300-400k to bring Vitello to the top third or quarter of the SEC. I also don't think that another 150k-250k on top of that for staff and support is an issues. Those are such small figures for a school like UT. I think the worry is a commitment to facilities. I think this comes with success and the timeline will be for the school to commit to exploring enhancing facilities. Vitello and staff get raises. Funding for the enhancements. Based on funding a timeline will be developed for implementation.

I think we're overlooking the fact that the raise is peanuts compared to the bigger picture and that the school just needs time to see what is going on with the minor league field proposal for downtown and exploring the possibility of a partnership.
Honestly if it saved most of our recruiting class... it was probably a bargain.

VN Store

Back