John Fulkerson officially back for a 6th season

Confirming what we all already knew from rumors, but still interesting info. I do wonder just how much COVID affected his play. Was it a little? Was it a lot? Guess this season will tell us just how much depending on which Fulky shows up to play.

Watching him play and his apparent lack of energy and stamina would seem to indicate that the effect was significant. Hustle and energy was never a question for Fulk in the past, even when talent was, perhaps. But he just couldn’t get out of 3rd gear this year, unfortunately, and it affected his play.

Confirming what we all already knew from rumors, but still interesting info. I do wonder just how much COVID affected his play. Was it a little? Was it a lot? Guess this season will tell us just how much depending on which Fulky shows up to play.

I was saying Fulkerson looked like a Covid case back at the start of his decline. It was obvious -- beyond obvious. Almost frustratingly obvious. He looked significantly thinner on the court, didn't show his usual energy, couldn't hold his ground in the post, and struggled to keep up with the pace of games. After a phenomenal 2019 campaign, it made no sense for him to backslide to the point of being a bench player. He only has one speed - Fulkerson speed. Just got nailed by the virus.

I hope he's well and truly recovered. I hope he can hit the gym hard and work himself back into playing shape. I hope he rolls into 2021-2022 and kicks some serious ass. After all the crap I've seen said about him this year, I hope he can flip the script for his supersenior season.

Having had the virus recently, and spending a week in the hospital because of it, I can tell you it takes a lot out of you. And even though I'm "better", I'm still far away from 100%. It doesn't take much for me to feel completely drained, and my lungs are still a mess. So the fact Fulky could even still play at all is amazing to me.

Side question, is the COVID exemption rule in effect for basketball, too? Does Fulkerson count toward our roster limit, or is he exempted?

Having had the virus recently, and spending a week in the hospital because of it, I can tell you it takes a lot out of you. And even though I'm "better", I'm still far away from 100%. It doesn't take much for me to feel completely drained, and my lungs are still a mess. So the fact Fulky could even still play at all is amazing to me.
Glad you're on the road to 100% man, I didn't have too bad of an experience with it but the fatigue is real.

Side question, is the COVID exemption rule in effect for basketball, too? Does Fulkerson count toward our roster limit, or is he exempted?
He is exempt. Does not count.

Reactions: Weezer
Chandler;Vescovi
Vescovi; Bailey Jr
Powell; Mashack; Q
James; BHH; Nkouhma
Fulkerson; Aidoo; Plavsic; Tamba(?)

I think that is all of our players for now. Seems pretty solid to me!

Chandler;Vescovi
Vescovi; Bailey Jr
Powell; Mashack; Q
James; BHH; Nkouhma
Fulkerson; Aidoo; Plavsic; Tamba(?)

I think that is all of our players for now. Seems pretty solid to me!

I would list it like this:

Chandler, Vescovi
Powell OR Vescovi, Bailey
JJJ, Mashack, Q
BHH, Nkamhoua
Fulkerson, Aidoo, Plavsic, Tamba(?)

Chandler, Fulkerson, JJJ, BHH, Vescovi, Powell, Aidoo, Mashack, Bailey getting almost all of the minutes.

I would list it like this:

Chandler, Vescovi
Powell OR Vescovi, Bailey
JJJ, Mashack, Q
BHH, Nkamhoua
Fulkerson, Aidoo, Plavsic, Tamba(?)

Chandler, Fulkerson, JJJ, BHH, Vescovi, Powell, Aidoo, Mashack, Bailey getting almost all of the minutes.
Yeah, BHH coming aboard lessens the necessity of playing JJJ at the 4.

Reactions: cwbytruckers
We really need JJ to improve his perimeter skills, gonna need him a lot at the 3 next year
We need him to be good, certainly, but we have options there, IMO. Probably our deepest position, especially with regard to potential unorthodox lineups. Aside from JJJ, we have Powell, Mashack and, Diboundje who could all profile as kids at the 3. BHH has the skills to step out there in a big lineup and give you minutes. In a smaller lineup, Vescovi could even see some minutes, though defensively, he could be a liability. He has been our best rebounding guard outside of JJJ. Powell was also an excellent rebounder in his 10 games at Auburn, averaging 6.1 rpg.

Still, to your point, we need JJJ to be excellent because he is an upperclassman, he has pedigree, he hits the boards, and he defends. If he can become a consistent ~38% shooter from outside, then his game goes to a whole new level. Keeping teams honest by forcing them to guard you on the perimeter may actually convince him to drive the ball to the basket every now and then.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
We need him to be good, certainly, but we have options there, IMO. Probably our deepest position, especially with regard to potential unorthodox lineups. Aside from JJJ, we have Powell, Mashack and, Diboundje who could all profile as kids at the 3. BHH has the skills to step out there in a big lineup and give you minutes. In a smaller lineup, Vescovi could even see some minutes, though defensively, he could be a liability. He has been our best rebounding guard outside of JJJ. Powell was also an excellent rebounder in his 10 games at Auburn, averaging 6.1 rpg.

Still, to your point, we need JJJ to be excellent because he is an upperclassman, he has pedigree, he hits the boards, and he defends. If he can become a consistent ~38% shooter from outside, then his game goes to a whole new level. Keeping teams honest by forcing them to guard you on the perimeter may actually convince him to drive the ball to the basket every now and then.

The big thing for me is defense. Kennedy is a true freshman. Bailey and Vescovi are inconsistent and that’s being kind to Bailey. Powell is more of an offensive player. We need a wing defender that can shut down scoring guards.

The big thing for me is defense. Kennedy is a true freshman. Bailey and Vescovi are inconsistent and that’s being kind to Bailey. Powell is more of an offensive player. We need a wing defender that can shut down scoring guards.

I share your concern. Springer and KJ were both good defenders, now gone. Mashack is said to have good D, but he's just a freshman. Hopefully, SV and Bailey and Powell will make strides with their D. We'll see.

I was saying Fulkerson looked like a Covid case back at the start of his decline. It was obvious -- beyond obvious. Almost frustratingly obvious. He looked significantly thinner on the court, didn't show his usual energy, couldn't hold his ground in the post, and struggled to keep up with the pace of games. After a phenomenal 2019 campaign, it made no sense for him to backslide to the point of being a bench player. He only has one speed - Fulkerson speed. Just got nailed by the virus.

I hope he's well and truly recovered. I hope he can hit the gym hard and work himself back into playing shape. I hope he rolls into 2021-2022 and kicks some serious ass. After all the crap I've seen said about him this year, I hope he can flip the script for his supersenior season.
This ruins the narrative of many of the perpetually negative posters

I share your concern. Springer and KJ were both good defenders, now gone. Mashack is said to have good D, but he's just a freshman. Hopefully, SV and Bailey and Powell will make strides with their D. We'll see.
You just cited 2 freshmen as good defenders then said you had concerns about another freshman making contributions this upcoming season on defense.

VN Store

Back