What kind of snake is this?

I hate snakes! Living on the Manatee River with mangroves it's only a matter of time before I see them regularly.

Reactions: BradentonVol
I think a baby water snake. Not that people usually do this but you can look at a snake's eyes and tell if it's poisonous or not. Cat slit pupils are poisonous, round pupils are not. Poisonous ones also tend to have a diamond shaped head.
I ain't getting close enough to look into a snakes eyes. Like GAVol said...they all look like a cobras.

Freak ITT

BUSJqsrh.jpg

See the snake, Billy. Be sure to get the snake.

I’ve got your snake.

I think a baby water snake. Not that people usually do this but you can look at a snake's eyes and tell if it's poisonous or not. Cat slit pupils are poisonous, round pupils are not. Poisonous ones also tend to have a diamond shaped head.
Absolutely not true worldwide and in North America 3 or 4 venomous species are pit vipers however the coral snake ( related to cobras) has round pupils not slits. What you have @Freak is a banded northern water snake and are harmless constrictors.

I've had them try to take trout out of my hand when I was cleaning them.
The Caney Fork where I trout fish is cold enough to keep the snakes at bay. I’ve only seen 2-3 up there since the late 80’s..... get up away from the river though and there are some big rattlesnakes around

Reactions: hog88
The Caney Fork where I trout fish is cold enough to keep the snakes at bay. I’ve only seen 2-3 up there since the late 80’s..... get up away from the river though and there are some big rattlesnakes around

This was up at Citico, and no dam water. Water snakes are around once the weather warms. I've had a few encounters there and on Tellico. Almost stepped on one on this big bank side boulder. Head and tail was off each side. Had one drop off a tree branch in front of my face.

Also went fishing one time at the country club back home in middle GA with a guy. He had permission to fish the little ponds around the course. It was so bad that day, we swatted at snakes in the water with our poles more than we fished. Those multi-color striped ones, various poisonous and harmless ones.

This was up at Citico, and no dam water. Water snakes are around once the weather warms. I've had a few encounters there and on Tellico. Almost stepped on one on this big bank side boulder. Head and tail was off each side. Had one drop off a tree branch in front of my face.

Also went fishing one time at the country club back home in middle GA with a guy. He had permission to fish the little ponds around the course. It was so bad that day, we swatted at snakes in the water with our poles more than we fished. Those multi-color striped ones, various poisonous and harmless ones.
Citico in the summer is completely filthy with snakes. If you catch a couple fish you’ll have several friends on the bank in pretty short order.

VN Store

Back