Does anybody have video of the scrimmage?

There are several videos and poorly written stories on the 247 site. You can pay, or just wait a day or two and get it for free on all other sites.

I agree offensively. We look soft on the first and second levels defensively. So I’m a little concerned.
I was wondering if that is why our O looked good. It’s often relative. Yes these were the issues we had last year.

Reactions: 1vol8
Who threw that first long completion?
I’m not 100% certain but the reports I’ve heard is is Brian was the only qb to stretch the field so I assume it was Maurer?

Last edited:
I’m not 100% certain but the reports I’ve heard is is Brian was the only qb to stretch the field so I assume it was Maurer?
Much is being made of him throwing a couple of picks but hopefully they're pushing now and will pull back some later.

Hooker looked confident running the O.

One of the videos showed nothing but HB. That one didn't show him at all. Not sure what to make of the info trickling out concerning HB. Some fans and media just seem locked in to the idea that he will be the starter... but then they said he ran with the 3's on Saturday.

The music got quiet at one point and the crowd could hear Garner's coaching style first hand. Some good ole boy yelled "thank you coach, we've been missing that around here." Everyone started laughing and then clapped. Garner was not letting them cut corners without an ear full, and let's just say about 10 of them weren't living up to his standard. I think we will see a dline closer to what Coach Rocker put out on the field this coming year. They were definitely being coached up.

Reactions: LittleVol and sjt18
It was Maurer. Threw a accurate roll out to the corner of the endzone as well.
Heard a report but no video about 2 INT's during team session.

His detractors were quick to jump on that.

But... we never know what the coaches' strategy might be with one QB compared to another. I learned that the hard way when Ainge and Crompton were the two QB's. Reports coming out of Spring were glowing about Crompton while Ainge was said to be struggling. The O&W game seemed to confirm that Ainge was awful and Crompton was in a real position to take over. Then... Ainge shredded Cal and had a really good season. What the media and fans couldn't see was that Ainge was being challenged with much more difficult situations.

Maurer may be screwing up throws the others are hitting. Or they could be challenging him with throws beyond where the other two are at this point.

This is one very real way that we have no way of being sure which QB is doing more to win the job. At some point, one or two guys will start getting more reps with the 1's. Then some time in the fall, one guy will start getting most of the reps with the 1's and will consistently go out first with the 1's. At that point... we'll be able to make a guess at the starter.

Personally, I don't think it is wise to make any assumptions about any of them. All have talent. All have things they do well. All have things they do poorly.

It will take time and patience for JH to fix this listing ship, he sure stepped into a smelly atmosphere

Much is being made of him throwing a couple of picks but hopefully they're pushing now and will pull back some later.

Hooker looked confident running the O.

One of the videos showed nothing but HB. That one didn't show him at all. Not sure what to make of the info trickling out concerning HB. Some fans and media just seem locked in to the idea that he will be the starter... but then they said he ran with the 3's on Saturday.
I don’t assume much is being made of his ints from within because it’s been unlike him thus far. I think that’s just us and media due to his reputation. From what I understand he’s making better decisions and the two ints were simply under thrown deep balls to open receivers.

Once again, just hearsay but Hooker is the most efficient and least likely to make mistakes because he doesn’t stretch the field and when he does, it’s normally without success.
Everything I’ve heard so far has Bailey behind. Accuracy and decision making have been an issue.

There’s still plenty of time for any of these guys to improve so I’m not counting any of them out but my “guess” right now would be that Hooker and Maurer are battling it out for qb1 at THIS moment. If Hooker can improve on passes to the third level AND keep his efficiency, he’s the guy to beat. If Maurer keeps his foot on the gas and finds more efficiency then he’s the guy at this point. I can post videos that explain it from someone else’s mouth if you like.

I don’t assume much is being made of his ints from within because it’s been unlike him thus far. I think that’s just us and media due to his reputation. From what I understand he’s making better decisions and the two ints were simply under thrown deep balls to open receivers.
I really don't mind mistakes from any of them at this point. They should be pushing the envelope to see where their breaking point is. This is kind of the first two weeks of basic training when it comes to that. If they aren't doing a lot of things wrong then the coaches aren't pushing them hard enough or else they're being held back by other position groups... which doesn't seem to be the case.

Once again, just hearsay but Hooker is the most efficient and least likely to make mistakes because he doesn’t stretch the field and when he does, it’s normally without success.
Everything I’ve heard so far has Bailey behind. Accuracy and decision making have been an issue.

There’s still plenty of time for any of these guys to improve so I’m not counting any of them out but my “guess” right now would be that Hooker and Maurer are battling it out for qb1 at THIS moment. If Hooker can improve on passes to the third level AND keep his efficiency, he’s the guy to beat. If Maurer keeps his foot on the gas and finds more efficiency then he’s the guy at this point. I can post videos that explain it from someone else’s mouth if you like.
Sure.

You can send it directly to me if you don't want the "conversation" that will follow here.

Hooker seems to be pretty good in the mid-range. I haven't seen any video of him delivering the ball downfield. I am becoming concerned that Bailey was recruited to a different system and philosophy of play and may not adapt well to this one. Hopefully that's not true. I would like to see a very strong competition regardless of who comes out on top.

Of course all of this changes when the lights come on. If JG proved nothing it is that a guy can look great in practice then flop on game day. Though Pruitt didn't want to hear it... there are guys who thrive on live pressure who have a hard time focusing in practice.

Reactions: 1vol8
Beckwith looks like a load to bring down.
I've mentioned it in other posts but the thing that has me most excited is his flexibility. He has speed to play any WR position, TE, HB, RB, or Wildcat. If UT is at the line and snapping the ball as soon as the chains are set... and he can let them change formations without substitutions... then opposing D's are going to be dragging their tongues. To me that's the unique opportunity with him.

Some of the RB's are straight RB's. I think they split Small out a few times last year. If Wright is a good receiver... UT could go from heavy sets to 5 wide without substituting and still have match up advantages.

I really don't mind mistakes from any of them at this point. They should be pushing the envelope to see where their breaking point is. This is kind of the first two weeks of basic training when it comes to that. If they aren't doing a lot of things wrong then the coaches aren't pushing them hard enough or else they're being held back by other position groups... which doesn't seem to be the case.

Sure.

You can send it directly to me if you don't want the "conversation" that will follow here.

Hooker seems to be pretty good in the mid-range. I haven't seen any video of him delivering the ball downfield. I am becoming concerned that Bailey was recruited to a different system and philosophy of play and may not adapt well to this one. Hopefully that's not true. I would like to see a very strong competition regardless of who comes out on top.

Of course all of this changes when the lights come on. If JG proved nothing it is that a guy can look great in practice then flop on game day. Though Pruitt didn't want to hear it... there are guys who thrive on live pressure who have a hard time focusing in practice.
Idc about the conversation. I just have a problem with disrespect which is only a chosen few. These don’t explain everything I talked about because I get info from multiple outlets but it kinda touches on it all directly or indirectly. Give me a min and I’ll post one at a time responding to this post.

Sure.

Sure.

Sure.

Heard a report but no video about 2 INT's during team session.

His detractors were quick to jump on that.

But... we never know what the coaches' strategy might be with one QB compared to another. I learned that the hard way when Ainge and Crompton were the two QB's. Reports coming out of Spring were glowing about Crompton while Ainge was said to be struggling. The O&W game seemed to confirm that Ainge was awful and Crompton was in a real position to take over. Then... Ainge shredded Cal and had a really good season. What the media and fans couldn't see was that Ainge was being challenged with much more difficult situations.

Maurer may be screwing up throws the others are hitting. Or they could be challenging him with throws beyond where the other two are at this point.

This is one very real way that we have no way of being sure which QB is doing more to win the job. At some point, one or two guys will start getting more reps with the 1's. Then some time in the fall, one guy will start getting most of the reps with the 1's and will consistently go out first with the 1's. At that point... we'll be able to make a guess at the starter.

Personally, I don't think it is wise to make any assumptions about any of them. All have talent. All have things they do well. All have things they do poorly.
I honestly was sitting in the 3rd row. It was hard to tell exactly who was out there. Bailey had a whole series where he just handed the ball off every play. Hooker and Mauer honestly looked about the same to me. I couldn't see the interceptions well enough to know if it was a bad throw, or on the receiver.

Reactions: sjt18
Beckwith looks like a load to bring down.
He definitely is, but I didn't see anything to make me think he could change directions on a dime. I didn't see that. I did see him running over some guys, but it was always downfield. I would like to see what he can do when the oline misses a block and he has to make a fast cut in the backfield. We've not had a back in awhile that could do that except for maybe Gray, but he would not block at all.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack

VN Store

Back