SEC Quarterback Most Likely to Pull a Joe Burrow

Wireless1

Character is who you are when no one is looking
Since it looks like we will have SEC football this fall, I was thinking who the most likely candidate to have a Joe Burrow type year this year. Florida's Kyle Trask seems like the most obvious but Jaimie Newman at Georgia has skills too. I don't think Alabama has the OC for anyone there to have that kind of year even if they were to have the on field talent.

I really don't get the hype for the Newman kid.
Always a mystique around those transfer QBs. Everybody thinks they've got Russell Wilson or Justin Fields on their hands. Most of the time they figure out that there was a reason that things didn't work at the last school.

Any "new" QB they get at this point is going to be hyped by definition given elite QB play has been the only thing that team appears to be missing.
And now they throw JT Daniel into the mix. With Kirby's ability to appease prima donna quarterbacks we should all grab a bag of popcorn and watch.

Zues1. Gave you a like. You are a man of few words, and I agree. Joe Burrow's 2019 season was freakish. I don't think you can really ask who is the Joe Burrow of 2020. Phenoms like him come along every decade or so. Tua was supposed to be the next coming at Bama and he never had a season like the one Burrow did.

So I agree. No one.

Zues1. Gave you a like. You are a man of few words, and I agree. Joe Burrow's 2019 season was freakish. I don't think you can really ask who is the Joe Burrow of 2020. Phenoms like him come along every decade or so. Tua was supposed to be the next coming at Bama and he never had a season like the one Burrow did.

So I agree. No one.
Correct. LSU had some Cajun voodoo shat going on last season. I don't believe we'll see that kind of overall domination again for sometime.

SEC Quarterback Most Likely to Pull a Joe Burrow

Earl J Cricketwood... University of Mississippi.

Most famous quote: " Minnesota ain't got Shiite on us".

Always a mystique around those transfer QBs. Everybody thinks they've got Russell Wilson or Justin Fields on their hands. Most of the time they figure out that there was a reason that things didn't work at the last school.
But it did “work out”. Wake Forest didn’t run him off...quite the opposite.

Correct. LSU had some Cajun voodoo shat going on last season. I don't believe we'll see that kind of overall domination again for sometime.

Hell, I’ve watched college football since 1964 and I’ve never seen a season like that.

Fortunately I put $100 on LSU to win the NC at 15-1 before the season. I thought they’d be good but not that good.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I really don't get the hype for the Newman kid.

It’s uga. Everything there is hyped because they need constant affirmation. Because dawgs. And bestest ever. And gonnawinitallthisyear.

I hate Bama as any Tennessee fan is required to. But that hate has tradition and respect as a part of it. I despise uga. And there is no respect in that at all.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Trask. Excellent numbers last year and played most of the season maybe about 15 lbs too heavy. Word is, he’s lose weight and looks fantastic in workouts. His o-line will be much improved as well.

The youngster at Auburn was playing pretty good by end of the season. I wouldn't count him out, he is talented.

Trask. Excellent numbers last year and played most of the season maybe about 15 lbs too heavy. Word is, he’s lose weight and looks fantastic in workouts. His o-line will be much improved as well.
Trask doesn’t have the same wheels Burrow does. Burrow was insanely elusive in the pockets and was great at scrambling for first downs when the pocket broke down.

Reactions: Jaws
Any "new" QB they get at this point is going to be hyped by definition given elite QB play has been the only thing that team appears to be missing.
The offensive scheme has been the bigger issue imo. Fromm played fine in the natty and the SECC, but the offense was too conservative. Bully ball doesn’t allow for a team to run up the score and keeps the opponent in the game. Fromm threw for 300+ with 3 touchdowns and no interceptions in the SECC, so I wouldn’t say he was the reason they lost. As for Fields, he didn’t match the scheme and that’s an indictment on how had the scheme was. Some analyst said that if fields doesn’t fit your scheme, then your scheme is terrible. That sums it up perfectly imo.

So is he slimming down to be a more effective Read Option style QB or was he just too sluggish moving around the pocket?

Trask doesn’t have the same wheels Burrow does. Burrow was insanely elusive in the pockets and was great at scrambling for first downs when the pocket broke down.

Agree that Burrow was incredible with his running and elusiveness. That was probably the most underrated part of his game.

I’m not saying Trask will hurt people with his legs like Burrow did, but I am saying he can be effective at times. He was a little on the thick/stiff side last year and losing 15 lbs will help that, but he’ll never be a Joe Burrow running or scrambling.

But he’s poised to have a phenomenal year throwing the ball. His accuracy and touch was remarkable last year particularly for a guy without a lot of game reps.

Reactions: Atlanta917
So is he slimming down to be a more effective Read Option style QB or was he just too sluggish moving around the pocket?

A little sluggish at times, yes I think that’s a good description. A step slow and a little awkward in some of the read option stuff. I think some of that was due to lack of live action game reps and some of it was due to him being a little overweight.

He’ll never be a running qb, but he can be a guy who’ll scramble for an occasion first down or keep a read option for a 10-yard gain.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back