2020 NBA Season Thread (brought to you by Jerry’s need for attention)

"It's all data-driven," Cuban said. "We're not going, 'OK, let's just mess with the league and our meal ticket to fans to do something just because it might be interesting. We spend so much money, not just on analytics for predictive reasons, but also for biometrics so we know how smart we can be.

"The dumb thing would be to ignore the science."

Cuban pointed out that the quality of play was lower when players were averaging more minutes per game and saving their energy for the fourth quarter.

Cuban said that while it might be frustrating to see players on the bench now, it all pays off in the postseason.

"You actually get more of your stars [in the playoffs]," Cuban said. "You get shorter rotations of more of the guys playing in the playoffs, which is what you want to see anyway, right?"

Cuban approves of load management in NBA

Reactions: NashVol11
"It's all data-driven," Cuban said. "We're not going, 'OK, let's just mess with the league and our meal ticket to fans to do something just because it might be interesting. We spend so much money, not just on analytics for predictive reasons, but also for biometrics so we know how smart we can be.

"The dumb thing would be to ignore the science."

Cuban pointed out that the quality of play was lower when players were averaging more minutes per game and saving their energy for the fourth quarter.

Cuban said that while it might be frustrating to see players on the bench now, it all pays off in the postseason.

"You actually get more of your stars [in the playoffs]," Cuban said. "You get shorter rotations of more of the guys playing in the playoffs, which is what you want to see anyway, right?"

Cuban approves of load management in NBA

I don't think anyone is debating the logic behind rest. There are other ways to load manage - reduced minutes (play your star for 15-20 minutes instead of 30-40) as opposed to just sitting them on the bench. They should be willing to explore those with the fans and networks' interests in mind.

I don't think anyone is debating the logic behind rest. There are other ways to load manage - reduced minutes (play your star for 15-20 minutes instead of 30-40) as opposed to just sitting them on the bench. They should be willing to explore those with the fans and networks' interests in mind.

Nobody wants to play for 15-20 minutes because it will hurt their per game averages (switch to per 36, America, then it won't matter). Also, I wonder if taking it easy for 2-3 games is as beneficial as a whole game off? I know that's not how it works with weightlifting. If you to need rest a muscle group, going light isn't the same as taking time off.

Definitely need to fix some aspects of this.

Nobody wants to play for 15-20 minutes because it will hurt their per game averages (switch to per 36, America, then it won't matter). Also, I wonder if taking it easy for 2-3 games is as beneficial as a whole game off? I know that's not how it works with weightlifting. If you to need rest a muscle group, going light isn't the same as taking time off.

Definitely need to fix some aspects of this.

Change the non-gameday routines and workouts. Cut down on practices and go with "walk throughs" (which some, if not most, teams do already). Spread the season even more to build in natural rest days.

If championships are all that matters and that's the focus, who gaf about per game averages (I'm still stuck on the dumb take by Jalen)? I guess if there are contract clauses built around that but those could be fixed as you noted.

Change the non-gameday routines and workouts. Cut down on practices and go with "walk throughs" (which some, if not most, teams do already). Spread the season even more to build in natural rest days.

If championships are all that matters and that's the focus, who gaf about per game averages (I'm still stuck on the dumb take by Jalen)? I guess if there are contract clauses built around that but those could be fixed as you noted.

The players. Of course recognition matters to players, but even if it didn't, your market value in FA is highly correlated with your stats, especially PPG. This has always been the case but now more than ever because max contract caps are based on awards like DPOY, MVP, all-NBA, etc. You don't win those awards without high statistical averages. You can get all NBA or DPOY sitting out 15-20 games.

He's definitely looked a lot better in all facets of the game. But it is Andrew Wiggins so I feel like he's just trolling us for a few weeks. Lol

Is Andrew Wiggins good now?

He's shooting about league average efficiency (which is great for him) and he's not turning the ball over and overall his stats are just better. Will he keep it up? Until I can explain it or see him sustain it, I doubt it. I believe he can keep scoring at this higher clip but will he keep shooting this well? I've always thought if he changed his habits (fewer mid-range shots) he'd be good, but he's still shooting a lot from there.

He's shooting about league average efficiency (which is great for him) and he's not turning the ball over and overall his stats are just better. Will he keep it up? Until I can explain it or see him sustain it, I doubt it. I believe he can keep scoring at this higher clip but will he keep shooting this well? I've always thought if he changed his habits (fewer mid-range shots) he'd be good, but he's still shooting a lot from there.
I’ve watched all but a couple games and my eyes tell me he’s not settling for the mid range and he’s been driving to the bucket more. It seems like he takes about 4 mid range jumpers a game but they’re not coming early in the shot clock like he has a bad habit of doing. I’d say his passing vision has been the thing that’s been the most surprising of late. He looks like he’s enjoying the game so it could be the culture that’s been implemented since Thibs left that’s had the biggest impact. Ryan Saunders deserves a ton of credit for the environment he’s created

I’ve watched all but a couple games and my eyes tell me he’s not settling for the mid range and he’s been driving to the bucket more. It seems like he takes about 4 mid range jumpers a game but they’re not coming early in the shot clock like he has a bad habit of doing. I’d say his passing vision has been the thing that’s been the most surprising of late. He looks like he’s enjoying the game so it could be the culture that’s been implemented since Thibs left that’s had the biggest impact. Ryan Saunders deserves a ton of credit for the environment he’s created

26% of his shots came at the rim last year, and it's 26% this year. He is getting to the FT line a bit more. Also, he is taking a few more 3's than mid-range vs. last year (and he's making them).

26% of his shots came at the rim last year, and it's 26% this year. He is getting to the FT line a bit more. Also, he is taking a few more 3's than mid-range vs. last year (and he's making them).

How many of his shots are coming between mid range and the rim? 3-10 ft. He’s been getting into the paint at will and he’s been attacking more. I know my eyes aren’t lying to me

How many of his shots are coming between mid range and the rim? 3-10 ft. He’s been getting into the paint at will and he’s been attacking more. I know my eyes aren’t lying to me

I'm mobile so I'm not going to calculate % of shots at 3-10' but it looks like more. It's still not a great spot for him historically. He shot 34% (same as he shot from 10-16' last year), 45%, and 38% from there the last 3 years. 46% right now. Even at his best (can he sustain), it's just an OK shot. Now, if he's shooting 46% there instead of 34% at 10-16', then great.

Last edited:
More from BoB 2.0. When Malone was a Laker, he was wearing a cowboy hat and Kobe's wife says "what are you doing cowboy?" And Malone says "hunting little Mexican girls". Kobe and Malone obviously had a strained relationship after that

Caught part of The Jump today on ESPN. Apparently, Kendrick Perkins is a graduate of Ca$h University per his bio.

He's such a homer for his guys and the opposite is true of guys he doesn't like....he's a terrible talking head in that regard, but he's pretty entertaining.

He's such a homer for his guys and the opposite is true of guys he doesn't like....he's a terrible talking head in that regard, but he's pretty entertaining.

I think my least favorite non hot take talking head on ESPN right now is Dominique Foxworth.

I think my least favorite non hot take talking head on ESPN right now is Dominique Foxworth.

I actually like him as a person* a lot but I'm not tuning in for his sports takes...but in fairness, I rarely tune in for anybody in specific.

*He's an interesting guy with a lot of education and he's married to a successful lawyer. He's been on a few different Freakonomics episodes.

I actually like him as a person* a lot but I'm not tuning in for his sports takes...but in fairness, I rarely tune in for anybody in specific.

*He's an interesting guy with a lot of education and he's married to a successful lawyer. He's been on a few different Freakonomics episodes.

I really enjoy Orlovsky/McAfee/Ryan on Monday’s on get up and I’ll listen to Cowherd when he’s not talking basketball. It’s really hard to find good basketball analysis on TV. Like the TNT barely talks basketball, the ESPN guys aren’t insightful. The NBATV guys is just a praise fest.

I used to not watch sports shows but now I’m off tuesdays and Wednesday’s so I have that playing on the mornings/early afternoon.

VN Store

Back