The Golf Thread

Totally agree. Koepka doesn't have the boy next door, "aw shucks" thing that Spieth does, isn't very interesting in interviews, and seemingly doesn't have anything else interesting about himself. DJ has rocks in his brain and is a bad interview too, but he also has a bit of a bad boy thing going on.
Would love to see a winner take all round of Jeopardy with Koepka, Dustin Johnson and Ryan Lochte as the contestants.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Would love to see a winner take all round of Jeopardy with Koepka, Dustin Johnson and Ryan Lochte as the contestants.
Ha, think Koepka would wipe the floor with them.

Koepka seems like a reasonably intelligent guy - just not a lot of flash or interesting things to say. When you hear DJ and Lochte talk, it's immediately obvious there isn't much going on upstairs.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
Totally agree. Koepka doesn't have the boy next door, "aw shucks" thing that Spieth does, isn't very interesting in interviews, and seemingly doesn't have anything else interesting about himself. DJ has rocks in his brain and is a bad interview too, but he also has a bit of a bad boy thing going on.

I think it’s just hard to put on a face being asked the same dumb questions day in and day out. After awhile the dgaf. Dealing with the media would probably be the worst thing they have to do.

I think it’s just hard to put on a face being asked the same dumb questions day in and day out. After awhile the dgaf. Dealing with the media would probably be the worst thing they have to do.
I think what people want to see and what they are drawn towards is any glimpse of personality. They are all asked the same dumb questions, but some just handle them in a more insightful or entertaining way than others.

I think what people want to see and what they are drawn towards is any glimpse of personality. They are all asked the same dumb questions, but some just handle them in a more insightful or entertaining way than others.

Some people can definitely put on a face better than others.

Spieth doesn’t have the aw shucks approach. He can be a di**

Reporters are fatigued from doing nothing but finding the next Tiger. Newsflash, there isn’t one. I’ll even bet the farm Koepka hits snags along the way too.

Koepka has admitted to having had a short fuse on the course in the past. He said in order to maximize his potential, he needed to change his entire outlook. He did that by putting everything in life in perspective; never too high or too low. Seems to work for him.....so screw the media and fans wanting more emotion from him!

Ha, think Koepka would wipe the floor with them.

Koepka seems like a reasonably intelligent guy - just not a lot of flash or interesting things to say. When you hear DJ and Lochte talk, it's immediately obvious there isn't much going on upstairs.
Gave you a like for DJ being an empty suit. I have heard the name Ryan Lochte, but I don't know who he is.

After reading some articles on golf.com I'd say you're spot on about the media mindset. Most articles were about how they could get Koepka to open up or how he needs to stop looking bored.
The media loves to play favorites. Corey Pavin has exactly the same number of majors and wins as does Fred Couples. Mark O'Meara has 1 more major and 1 more victory, yet they still get a thrill down their leg for Couples. Not so much for the other two.

Reactions: 05_never_again
The media loves to play favorites. Corey Pavin has exactly the same number of majors and wins as does Fred Couples. Mark O'Meara has 1 more major and 1 more victory, yet they still get a thrill down their leg for Couples. Not so much for the other two.

And Couples is known for being a genuine douche.

Couples got a lot of publicity mileage out of Jim Nance, who was his roommate at the University of Houston.

If I was trying to play my best...... I might not. But if my “par” was 89......no problem breaking 90.
I am going to disagree here about how many could break 90. Of the entire field, there was only 1 guy that played 2 rounds and didn't break 80 in either. I know these club pros are really good players, but a scratch amateur can stay within 10 shots of those guys with no problem. Now, late Sunday in the wind may have been another story. Some of the guys that missed the cut wouldn't have broken 85 on Sunday.

Reactions: peaygolf
If I was trying to play my best...... I might not. But if my “par” was 89......no problem breaking 90.
If I'm playing my best, there are a lot of fairways that I couldn't reach with my tee shot, but I'm almost 70 now. Some holes looked like they needed a 250 carry to reach short grass. I would shoot a really high score because I couldn't get it out of the rough. My best bet would be to hit anything that I could get in the fairway.

I am going to disagree here about how many could break 90. Of the entire field, there was only 1 guy that played 2 rounds and didn't break 80 in either. I know these club pros are really good players, but a scratch amateur can stay within 10 shots of those guys with no problem. Now, late Sunday in the wind may have been another story. Some of the guys that missed the cut wouldn't have broken 85 on Sunday.
I was more referring to breaking 90 in the Sunday conditions. I think that wind with the combination of insane rough would lead to a lot of doubles even for really good players. I just finished up a round at Torrey Pines South about an hour ago. Pretty easy course even in 15-20 mph winds today because the rough isn't grown out at all and greens were probably only running 10. In 2008, Tony Romo played the US Open setup and shot 84. And I think TR is much better than a scratch. Come 2021 when they host the US Open again, that Kikuya will be almost unplayable.

Attachments

• 20190522_184850.jpg
    20190522_184850.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
Couples got a lot of publicity mileage out of Jim Nance, who was his roommate at the University of Houston.
That, combined with the fact that he continued to play well at Augusta for years after his win despite being a total non-factor in anything else. Maybe it is just because I was a kid when he was in his prime, but he seems more famous for being good at Augusta during the latter years of his career than he does for actually winning The Masters.

Couples is definitely one whose reputation/popularity are way out of whack with what they actually achieved during his career.

That, combined with the fact that he continued to play well at Augusta for years after his win despite being a total non-factor in anything else. Maybe it is just because I was a kid when he was in his prime, but he seems more famous for being good at Augusta during the latter years of his career than he does for actually winning The Masters.

Couples is definitely one whose reputation/popularity are way out of whack with what they actually achieved during his career.
Another thing is that he won 2 Players' Championships and a bunch of the "silly season" made for tv stuff, like the Skins Game.

He was #1 in the world around 1992 or so. He was kind of my generation's Jason Day. Always a trendy pick in his prime.

Last edited:
He was #1 in the world around 1992 or so. He was kind of my generation's Jason Day. Always a trendy pick in his prime.
He did have a short run at the top, but still only 1 major and 15 victories on the big tour. If his ball on 12 had rolled back in the creek like the other 100 that have hit it there, he would have 14 wins and no majors. Bruce Lietzke did that in his spare time.

He did have a short run at the top, but still only 1 major and 15 victories on the big tour. If his ball on 12 had rolled back in the creek like the other 100 that have hit it there, he would have 14 wins and no majors. Bruce Lietzke did that in his spare time.
He was no all timer, but he was better than that. If his back hadn't gone bad in his mid 30s he'd have likely won more.

VN Store

Back