Sylvia Hatchell reisgns

Sigh. I give up. Close minded is closed minded. Read what you wrote. I really tried to get you to look from another’s aspect, not just yours. Which is exactly what you are demanding from others. From what madtown wrote, she needed to go. But that does not change the point I was trying to make and which you totally missed.

No bother discussing anymore. This is a communication standstill.🧡

Right backatcha. I understand the point you’re trying to make. Your point is wrong. 😂😂😂 You’re wanting to handle racially insensitive remarks with kid gloves and I’m not. 🤷🏻‍♂️ You’re whitesplaining it away and I’m not. Nothing more needs to be said.

Peace out. ✌🏼

Right backatcha. I understand the point you’re trying to make. Your point is wrong. 😂😂😂 You’re wanting to handle racially insensitive remarks with kid gloves and I’m not. 🤷🏻‍♂️ You’re whitesplaining it away and I’m not. Nothing more needs to be said.
Yt
Peace out. ✌🏼

Whitesplaining is not being racially insensitive? Only works in one direction? Thought everything had at least two sides.

I have no clue what was said and done. I found this interview they just did with Latta and Larkins. According to Hatchell, she used the phrase they would be hung out to dry. Who knows? I just found the interview interesting.

Former players laugh at suggestion that Sylvia Hatchell made racist comments :: WRALSportsFan.com
Well, "hung out to dry" is not racially insensitive. If she was being racially insensitive, she would have said "hanged out to dry." Case closed her reputation should be restored if that is what she said.

I'm white, so no, it's not.

Also if that term gets under your skin ... you might be a snowflake. ;)
All I know, is it's all EXplaining. Putting a classification of people you don't want to listen into the word, just shows you are extremely prejudiced against the named people, are petty, and don't value reason and rationality.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
It does. But she should have been more sensitive to the fact that young people don't know old sayings. And you can't really expect them to know that hung is not the proper spelling for what they are being so offended.
Hmmmmm. Quick Google. Nothing to be offended by (unless maybe looking for a made up reason to be offended?).

Below is the meaning of hang, or hung, out to dry from various sources. Every source found was in agreement as to origin and usage. 🐔👍 I don’t know what all is under discussion, but that expression is innocuous. So, in simple terms and stated in all one syllable words where possible: that.term.relates.to.drying.clothes Long read below, @ReadR00ster, but I thought you might find it interesting. Could have copied lots more, but, as previously stated, there was universal agreement as to the expression.

Writingexplained.org
“This expression originated around the 1960s. The exact origin is unclear. However, most sources believe it might have come from hanging clothes on a line to dry.

This was around the time automatic washers and dryers were becoming popular with the public. Those without an automatic dryer would hang their clothes on a line outside to allow them to air dry.

It is possible that the idiom developed because clothes left to air dry were abandoned to the elements. They might get damaged by wind or dirt. People left out to dry also were abandoned to their fates.”

Idioms.thefreedictionery.com

hang someone out to dry
leave someone in a difficult or vulnerable situation.informal
The image here is of hanging wet washing on a clothes line to dry. The idea of ‘flapping uselessly orineffectually’ like clothes drying in the wind is also behind the cricketing metaphor hanging your bat outto dry , which dates from the late 19th century and means ‘holding your bat away from your body at anineffectual angle’.
1998 Spectator We point out that another MP…has been hung out to dry for failing to declare whatwas (relative to this) a minuscule interest.
See also: dry, hang, out, someone

Urban Dictionary
hung out to dry
When you've been left alone to face a situation - especially a dangerous or unpleasant situation - the people who just abandoned you have hung you out to dry. Also known as "Hung Up to Dry."
1. Right before the company went bankrupt, the CEO sold all of his stock, thereby leaving everyone else there hung out to dry.”

Knowyourphrase.com
The Origin Of ‘Hung Out To Dry’
The origin of this phrase probably comes from a certain method some people use to dry their clothes after they’ve been washed—they hang them up outside to dry.

If you own an electric washer and dryer, then washing your clothes is a chore that’s pretty easy to do. On the other hand, folding your clothes afterwards, yeah that’s still annoying.Anyways, not everyone can afford these convenient clothes cleaning machines. They can be quite expensive, after all.

So what do some people do instead after having washed their clothes? Well, they pull out a hair dryer and… I’m kidding. Jokes aside, they hang their wet clothes up on a line outside and then they wait. All the drying work is handled by the sun and the air, a strong combination that will rid those clothes of moisture in no time. Although this method can be quite effective at drying clothes, it doesn’t work as well in the colder season. Another benefit of drying clothes in this manner is that since no electricity is being used in the process, this in turn saves a person some money on their monthly electricity bill. Neat!

So that’s where this saying likely comes from—people hanging their wet clothes up to dry.Now, let’s talk about when this expression started to take on its ‘to be abandoned’ meaning.The earliest I could find it in print where it’s likened to ‘abandonment’ is the year 1980. This example comes from a newspaper called Filmnews, 1980. There’s a part from it that reads:
“They would be rather explicit, because they were quite angry because it was like being abandoned like being hung out to dry.”

Idioms.thefreedictionery.com
hang out to dry

Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to hang out to dry: hang around, hang in the balance, hung around, Hanging in the air

En.m.wiktionery

“Verb
hang out to dry (third-person singular simple present hangs out to dry, present participlehanging out to dry, simple past and past participle hung out to dry)
  1. Used other than with a figurative or idiomatic meaning: see hang,‎ out,‎ dry.
  2. (transitive, idiomatic) To abandon someone who is in need or in danger, especially a colleague or one dependent.
Usage notesEdit
  • Often carries an element of betrayal of someone who might have expected protection or assistance.
TranslationsEdit
[show ▼]abandon someone in need”

Some don’t even know about line-drying clothes!

Go to the UK. You’ll figure it out real quick!!!😂😂 We spent 4 weeks there in 2013 and couldn’t even find a laundromat. No joke. We like to stay at B&Bs. Some places the people were laying clothes out in the dining rooms to dry. Last place we stayed let us use their washer and we hung our clothes out to dry on their clothesline. Now we just pack hiking gear when we go.

All I know is, if the basis for this comment being racist or racially insensitive is bc of all the times black people were hanged in the past. And I can't think of any other reason. The word is HANGED not HUNG. So if Hatchell said HUNG then no one has any basis to think what she said was racist at all. Because HUNG does mean someone was HANGED like that. It is a case of word misidentification by the offended individual. So unless the the administration at that great institution of higher learning doesn't know words either or unless is was something else. They need to take back what they said about her saying something racially insensitive.

This is just a way to get rid of her. Its a shame it came to this. Her former players laughed at even the notion of this.

We live in a world today where people have reprobate minds. Some of you are gonna get this and get even more how I view the world.

You just cant make this stuff up.

This is just a way to get rid of her. Its a shame it came to this. Her former player laughed at even the notion of this.

We live in a world today where people have reprobate minds. Some of you are gonna get this and get even more how I view the world.

You just cant make this stuff up.
Yep. That school in Austin once hired an AD who's sole purpose was to fire Mack Brown. Texas let some time go by after the deed was done before firing that AD to mask their true intentions.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
All I know is, if the basis for this comment being racist or racially insensitive is bc of all the times black people were hanged in the past. And I can't think of any other reason. The word is HANGED not HUNG. So if Hatchell said HUNG then no one has any basis to think what she said was racist at all. Because HUNG does mean someone was HANGED like that. It is a case of word misidentification by the offended individual. So unless the the administration at that great institution of higher learning doesn't know words either or unless is was something else. They need to take back what they said about her saying something racially insensitive.

That is a great way of expressing the concept. Wish I had come up with it.

And how do you do multi quote on this site? Help!

I should feel smarter after absorbing Smallvol's excellent rendition of the idiom's derivation but can't escape the feeling of being put through the wringer.
Sorry, @creekdipper, I was a history major and it sort of stuck. Stacking data was the best way to keep from being put through the wringer by some prof in undergrad.😃 Lots to be said for accounting and law vs history (other than being able to earn a living!😂😂😂).

Reactions: creekdipper
Yep. That school in Austin once hired an AD who's sole purpose was to fire Mack Brown. Texas let some time go by after the deed was done before firing that AD to mask their true intentions.
I love the way you comprehend the REAL UT vs our big little brother in Texas. And just ‘cause one’s kin doesn’t make one accountable 🐻🐻

Reactions: BUBear

VN Store

Back