Ranking the SEC quarterbacks.

Not saying that Tua isn't the best qb in the sec, but hes overrated. Look at the last 3 games last season.(when bama played 3 good DLs that put pressure on him)He panicked under pressure. He made bad throws/decisions over and over. Got pulled against GA, survived a shootout against Oklahoma, and looked horrible in the NC game vs Clemson.
To your point, Tua's numbers last year against Top 30 defenses were very pedestrian (he faced 4, Clemson, LSU, Georgia and Miss State), and got outplayed by Lawrence and Fromm in those head to head's. I'm not saying JG = Tua, but when your OL is as bad as ours was last year, virtually every defense we faced mimicked a top 30 defense in terms of pressure and penetration. We really don't know what JG is capable of right now, he hasn't had much of a chance.

Tua Tagovailoa is Actually Really Bad Against Top Defenses

Last edited:
Totally agree, but many posters think that's the only reason we struggle on offense. They never blame the QB.

I think they were equally below average last year ... IMO. We will see about this year.
Yeah, I mean I'm in neither the JG is great or the JG sucks camp, I just think we don't really know. First, as noted above, the kind of duress that JG has been under nearly every snap of his career can make great quarterbacks look ordinary to bad.

Second, he'll only be a junior this year, it would be too early to write him off anyway in the absence of a clearly better option. I've seen alot of guys over the years who were so-so to bad as underclassmen who turned out to be good, solid college quarterbacks as upperclassmen. I understand our fans are frustrated and want out of this nightmare, but I think sometimes that results in us having overinflated hopes for highly rated players too soon. I fear we'll see some of that with Wanya and Darnell if they struggle any this year.

Last edited:
Totally agree, but many posters think that's the only reason we struggle on offense. They never blame the QB.

I think they were equally below average last year ... IMO. We will see about this year.

I'm not sure that's completely accurate, but perception is reality I guess.

Here's a fact. I know of several posters here that think the only reason we struggle on offense is because of JG. They never blame the OL. They have even gone so far as to say (paraphrasing) "our OLine isn't really all that bad."

Here's a fact. I know of several posters here that think the only reason we struggle on offense is because of JG. They never blame the OL. They have even gone so far as to say (paraphrasing) "our OLine isn't really all that bad."
Ridiculous. It is both, but JG will be releasing the ball much more quickly as the seasons progresses and will be an excellent QB with a rather good OL the following year. I think we will show more flashes this year but our usual lack of depth will continue to hurt us down the stretch. However, didn’t Vandy, Missouri AND KY lose a lot of seniors? I hope Jennings gets a W against all of them!

Ridiculous. It is both, but JG will be releasing the ball much more quickly as the seasons progresses and will be an excellent QB with a rather good OL the following year. I think we will show more flashes this year but our usual lack of depth will continue to hurt us down the stretch. However, didn’t Vandy, Missouri AND KY lose a lot of seniors? I hope Jennings gets a W against all of them!

Of course it's ridiculous. Most of us hope you're right.

Reactions: vegasvolfan

That is crazy.

It really sucks to see Franks be rated higher. I don't think he's a very good quarterback but is it really him or Mullen?

It really sucks to see Franks be rated higher. I don't think he's a very good quarterback but is it really him or Mullen?

1. He’s a good offensive coach in general and the 10 other guys in the huddle did their job a hell of a lot better too. I mean, who knew Florida had a top 10 draft pick at offensive tackle before last season? So, Mullen and staff did a lot for a lot of players on that team.

2. They don’t ask him to do things he can’t do.

3. As such, they try to avoid obvious passing situations. If it’s 3rd and 8, he’s not the guy you want at QB. Although, he was a hell of a lot better in 2018 than 2017 in those situations. Rumor is he’s a pretty good QB all the way around right now. Not necessarily buying that, but we’ll see. It’s everyone’s second year in the offense, so who knows.

What I can tell you is Florida has folks at the skill positions again. That’s getting back to being a lot closer to what most people think of when they think of previous Florida teams.

But, at this point, Franks is a guy who needs the other 10 to make him look good. He doesn’t lift the play of the other 10 on the field. Whether that’s different or not this year, we’ll see.

Reactions: LittleVol
I watched part of their spring game yesterday. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger offensive line on a college team.

I saw a little bit as well. Hard to tell any team based on a spring game. But my opinion is that they will be the team to beat this year. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if they win the SEC. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I'm not a JG hater , but I am a Vol fan and the lack of OL hasn't benefitted the QB or Running backs , backs get crushed before they get start from backfield most of time
it look like an avalanche coming for backs and QB. I am 100 % behind coach Pruitt and the staff , but I think JG was the QB by appointment , I'm not @ practice and
Don't know if anyone was given a chance. He should have win job this season not by appointment but by being best QB , I think CJP is hands on I trust him , This is
team does not have elite talent @ any position GOT TO RECRUIT AND COACH UP …………….GO VOLS

I saw a little bit as well. Hard to tell any team based on a spring game. But my opinion is that they will be the team to beat this year. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if they win the SEC. I sure hope I'm wrong.
I agree it's hard to tell how good anyone will be in a spring game, just the size of those guys was hard to miss.

Reactions: GTBATV

I don't get to spend as much time here as many but I've seen you make a similar comment before.
I miss many posts but I'm curious. What do K-town, KB, etc; consider to be JG's biggest weaknesses? (If they're reading and wish to answer, great).

Of course I've seen the more generic "he could improve" but I missed the specifics (my fault, not theirs). I've really only caught sjt point out specific needs like release time and hitting the receivers in stride more often.. and them refute each area. So I'm just curious what their posts have listed. If you remember.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
So now we have gator fans giving QB analysis. It's been nothing but turd QB play in Gainesville since Tebow left. Amd Franks is atrocious with no arm talent. JG is a much better talent than Franks and JG would've posted better numbers on that gator team last season.

I don't get to spend as much time here as many but I've seen you make a similar comment before.
I miss many posts but I'm curious. What do K-town, KB, etc; consider to be JG's biggest weaknesses? (If they're reading and wish to answer, great).

Of course I've seen the more generic "he could improve" but I missed the specifics (my fault, not theirs). I've really only caught sjt point out specific needs like release time and hitting the receivers in stride more often.. and them refute each area. So I'm just curious what their posts have listed. If you remember.

I can't say they've said more than agreeing he needs some improvement. Why? What's me making similar comments have to do with them? Do you disagree with my comment? I mean I've given both of them crap about thier defense of JG, and even if those two were completely guilty of blaming the OL 100% and not holding JG responsible in any way... that's 2. I guess if 2=many I'm a little off on that part.

Besides, I said I wasn't sure that was completely accurate. Haha, I meant to say "entirely accurate ", but I was in a hurry and wasn't paying attention.

As I have said before, there's enough blame to go around, I think it's silly to concentrate this heavily on just one area.

Gators Suck in case anyone has forgotten.

I can't say they've said more than agreeing he needs some improvement. Why? What's me making similar comments have to do with them? Do you disagree with my comment? I mean I've given both of them crap about thier defense of JG, and even if those two were completely guilty of blaming the OL 100% and not holding JG responsible in any way... that's 2. I guess if 2=many I'm a little off on that part.

Besides, I said I wasn't sure that was completely accurate. Haha, I meant to say "entirely accurate ", but I was in a hurry and wasn't paying attention.

As I have said before, there's enough blame to go around, I think it's silly to concentrate this heavily on just one area.

Gators Suck in case anyone has forgotten.
Okay.
Just thought since you mentioned it before, maybe you remembered some and I was just curious what they were.

No blame - No double meaning about you commenting before - No disagreement about anything you said.
A simple question because of simple curiosity. Asked you because you usually respond quickly and truthfully.
Exactly why I said I asked.

Hope you have a good day, Behr.

Reactions: Behr
Okay.
Just thought since you mentioned it before, maybe you remembered some and I was just curious what they were.

No blame - No double meaning about you commenting before - No disagreement about anything you said.
A simple question because of simple curiosity. Asked you because you usually respond quickly and truthfully.
Exactly why I said I asked.

Hope you have a good day, Behr.

No problem here, I just thought it seemed a little strange you bringing up those two and asking me instead of them about that. I wasn't really defending anyone, my main point was its just as stupid on the other side of what 30 posted.

And I meant there is enough blame to go around as far as the OL, JG, coaches, DL, RB, Butch, Hamilton, Kiffin, Dooley, Me, Freak, Trump, Bearded Vol.. and others.

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
No problem here, I just thought it seemed a little strange you bringing up those two and asking me instead of them about that. I wasn't really defending anyone, my main point was its just as stupid on the other side of what 30 posted.

And I meant there is enough blame to go around as far as the OL, JG, coaches, DL, RB, Butch, Hamilton, Kiffin, Dooley, Me, Freak, Trump, Bearded Vol.. and others.
I've asked them both a few different things over time,. Sometimes they respond, sometimes not. Figured if you recalled them naming any, it was easier just to ask you. Nothing more.

Wasn't any bigger picture of blame etc; I just remembered a post where sjt listed things he thought JG was good at, and thought that was interesting. So I figured vice versa might be also.
Already knew where they felt he was over criticized, just simple curiosity where they felt he needed improvement.

VN Store

Back