Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Only thing Moss really had over them was speed and jumping. Give me TO over Randy.
Owens was notably horrible on routes. Hands weren’t anything to write home about either. He was a force of nature player and didn’t take plays off...as Moss was wont to do. This isn’t about preference. When he wasn’t stabbing his QB in the back and dividing his teams, TO was a powerhouse. Moss didn’t want it as bad as much of the time, but speed and hands were superior to Owens and he knew what a route looked like.

And Rice was heads above both of them. No matter what his top speed was, he never got caught from behind. Most likely because he didn’t lose speed in and out of his routes.

Reactions: Wolfeman_Vol
I still can’t believe people (including some media) fell for the tweet that colgate left Burns in NY and he had to Uber to Columbus 😂

That guy had another one like that back during football I think

Reactions: AngryButchJones
For the most part I agree with the overall sentiment that universities, coaches, and plenty of staff are making a lot of money on the backs of the student athlete. But I'm so tired of the narrative being painted that these students aren't getting paid.

They are indirectly making tens of thousands of dollars each year/semester. Is it anywhere near what the coaches make? Absolutely Not. But I don't think the NCAA nor the Universities should be ponying up more money to pay student athletes, because it would almost immediately eliminate the majority of less popular sports having scholarships. What the NCAA needs to do is eliminate this BS that the student athlete can't get paid for their likeness.

It's really not an argument of amateur or professional that debate is long tired. NCAA is simply the farm system for the NBA & NFL, and should just stop pretending it has anything to do with "the game." And the NFL/NBA both have age restrictions for draft requirements for a reason. So if a kid is playing for Duke and making a few million from a Nike endorsement, why should the NCAA or Duke care? It's not impacting their bottom line at all.

“So if a kid is playing for Duke and making a few million from a Nike endorsement, why should the NCAA or Duke care? It's not impacting their bottom line at all.”

I think it will impact their focus and the team dynamics, though.

Also, I read somewhere that the difference between going first in the draft, Zion’s likely landing spot now, and third in last year's spot equates to a difference in around $6 million dollars over 3 years.

The opportunity to play under some truly good coaches, at universities with excellent facilities and training staffs, in front of rabid college fans; I don’t think you can put a price on that.

The opportunity to get a college degree - I’ve read and seen interviews with so many players who talk about how important it was to them and their moms and dads. For some, they’re the first in their family. The long term effects of that can’t really be measured. One can argue that they can get a college degree any time but for many of us, going back to school once “life” happens is rare. Not unheard of, but rare.

OK, I’ll step off my soapbox, now.
1553352103748.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back