'19 CB S Anthony Harris (UT commit 6/8/18)

@butchna
No opinion on this discussion but just respect for not responding to... Well, the one you didn't respond to, no matter how hard he tried to do what he does.
Only 1 answer for that
View attachment 190858
tenor.gif

How am I “down”? What criticisms have I levied? Just not panicked if he doesn’t make it in. Once upon a time, I thought Derric Evans was a generational talent that would leave his mark in our history. He made a stupid life decision and never played football again. We had some of our best seasons ever. To what you quoted me quoting, are Clemson and Oklahoma saving a spot for him?

Look at this blast from the past...

Derric Evans-1988

"As he signed the letter of intent to The University of Tennessee, the Dallas Carter All American relaxed in a hot tub all blinged out, while he enjoyed a glass of wine. If this didn't raise red flags, perhaps the 20 year prison sentence that soon followed did. Evans along with several other Carter players were tried and plead guilty to armed robbery of multiple movie rental and fast food joints in the Dallas area."

Not sure if many remember this. This was C.L.A.S.S.I.C.!!!!! Just imagine a kid like this having access to tweeter back then.

RIP Rich

I guess I don't understand the concern here. VQ and several others have reported he will only be signed AFTER he is fully academically qualified and then go on schollie in the Fall as a 2020 IC. Apparently (according to Griddie) Harris is on-board with this path forward. Since he is ranked in the composite top 247, I would think most UT fans would be giddy about bringing him on board this way. My concern is UNC or some other school WILL risk a schollie and convince him to sign a LOI on NSD before he has fully qualified.

Same scenario as the big OT who was committed to us and signed with Oklahoma a few years ago when he wasn't fully qualified on NSD. He ended up qualifying and became an all american at Oklahoma.

Question is him vs Cox or Russell (assuming wright and toots sign). Assume 24/25 is the limit, so numbers could conceivably push him out.

Course I agree. If there’s more talent in next year’s class, I hope to have more spots for it.

It won't open a spot, just reduce the number we'd have to blueshirt.

Remember, the new signee rules doesn't allow for new blueshirt spots. Can only blueshirt from rolling over pre-rule blueshirts. i.e. let's say we blueshirted 3 guys from 2018. The max we can blueshirt now is 3. Let's say we sign 24 and blueshirt 2, then 2020 can only blueshirt 2 guys. Now let's say we take 23 in 2020 and blueshirt no one, this means we can't blueshirt any 2021 guys or thereafter.

Last edited:
It won't open a spot, just reduce the number we'd have to blueshirt.
It opens a spot by not taking it away. We don’t HAVE to utilize blueshirts. It’s a rut Butch Jones put us in. A player you don’t officially recruit isn’t usually top quality and it’s a crummy pool to fish in. Hope Pruitt weans us off the pattern.

Question is him vs Cox or Russell (assuming wright and toots sign). Assume 24/25 is the limit, so numbers could conceivably push him out.
Numbers won’t push him out because he will sign after NSD if he qualifies. Not sure why this is difficult to understand. He’s a ball player so butchna needs to quit acting like Bruin

Numbers won’t push him out because he will sign after NSD if he qualifies. Not sure why this is difficult to understand. He’s a ball player so butchna needs to quit acting like Bruin
If my argument was that he wasn’t, I would...and I’m not. In fact there’s not a point in your post that matches mine.

I see both sides but imo, some of you are making butchna's opinion personal about this particular player.
That's just not true.

He expressed the exact same sentiments about EVERY potential forward count last season and the season before. He has been consistent on achieving 25, non conditional, available spots for cycles.
I 100% get those that believe this kid is worth it but also completely disagree with the narrative that Butchna has a "problem" with Harris. It's never been about any particular player (including this one). It's been his philosophy.

Disagree with that philosophy, you may be right. But no reason to believe it's personal against Harris.

I see both sides but imo, some of you are making butchna's opinion personal about this particular player.
That's just not true.

He expressed the exact same sentiments about EVERY potential forward count last season and the season before. He has been consistent on achieving 25, non conditional, available spots for cycles.
I 100% get those that believe this kid is worth it but also completely disagree with the narrative that Butchna has a "problem" with Harris. It's never been about any particular player (including this one). It's been his philosophy.

Disagree with that philosophy, you may be right. But no reason to believe it's personal against Harris.
This

That's just not true.

So saying he’s not a special talent isn’t against him.

And so we shouldn’t have taken Bryce Thompson last year?

Not sure he said that really but even if he did, you can say someone is not a special talent and it not be negative against him. He acknowledged Harris looks like a really good player. But pointed out that even players that look can't miss in high school sometimes miss. His whole argument has really had nothing to do with Harris. He said if there was room in this class he'd be a good take. It's all about borrowing against next class's 25 that is the argument. Don't take it so personally man. His opinion is different than yers is all.

That's just not true.

General Rule: It's not good form to forward count recruit.

But.... It's case by case... this isn't a black/white thing...

The Harris Case:
Here you have the #8 rated recruit in the class (which by most accounts would be higher without the concerns) that has grade issues. I don't personally know how serious those grade issues are, but we'll assume that there is a enough risk here that it needs to be mitigated so you don't burn a scholly.

He will undoubtedly be better than the worst athlete in next year's class, and there's no risk in this blue shirt. If he doesn't make the grades to clear, there is no scholly forward counted. So... this situation is as light of a gray area as you can get without it just being flat white.

Ruling?
giphy.gif

On the Crayola grayscale of of NCAA Recruiting sins, this is White Shimmer.

The Soloman Case:
Soloman is an elite 5-star interior pocket disrupter that can and will immediately upgrade your interior pass rush and run defense. You only get him for two years, but he's already in prime size/shape to contribute immediately, and he'll have a year to get used to the system and test your budding interior offensive lineman in practice. I don't have an issue with forward counting elite players like Soloman. For one, it would seem like a waste to count him this year, since he can't play, and he's the type of transfer that can reap immediate dividends.

Ruling?
giphy.gif

On the Crayola grayscale of of NCAA Recruiting sins, this is Timberwolf, since we only get him for two years.

The Chryst Case:
Chryst, the former 5-star that never quite panned out at Stanford. He played behind a much better offensive line, never had elite stats, had a noticeably bad deep ball, but was a high-quality backup. If they thought he'd come in an challenge for #1 duties... OK... but he didn't. So we essentially blew a scholarship for this year on a quarterback we don't have anymore that wasn't an upgrade over what we already had.

giphy.gif

On the Crayola grayscale of of NCAA Recruiting sins, this is Slate... if they didn't expect him to win the starting job handily (in a season that was lost from the get-go), we had no business burning a scholly on him.

The London Case:
On to London, former middle-of-the-pack 3-star out of Michigan State. Not particularly fast... not particularly shifty... not particularly powerful... not particularly particular... nothing stood out about this kid. I suppose Pruitt wanted some size at RB and in desperation threw him an opportunity, but a little over 200 yds / 3TDs isn't the type of production anybody would look for from a player burning next year's scholarship on a 1 year ride. Average running backs are a dime a dozen, and while I suppose it's good we don't have to watch him for 3 more years, lol, it was a terrible scholly burn.

Ruling?

giphy.gif

On the Crayola grayscale of NCAA Recruiting sins, this is Outer Space... in where it came from, where it can go back to, and Crayola recruiting sin color definition.

Last edited:

I didn’t express reservations about ANY of Pruitt’s moves last year. London, Chryst, George, Kennedy? The roster needed BODIES and there was no quick fix that was perfect. MY preference is that we wean ourselves off the typical blueshirt candidate that you don’t even officially recruit. Harris is legitimately talented and I’m not going to groan throughout the offseason (like Bruin still does about Trey Smith being allowed to attend his senior prom...bad comparison METtlebaum!) if the coaches go that route. And no, Grid! Me not D4H’ing all over the kid doesn’t indicate I’m “against” him.

General Rule: It's not good form to forward count recruit.

But.... It's case by case... this isn't a black/white thing...

The Harris Case:
Here you have the #8 rated recruit in the class (which by most accounts would be higher without the concerns) that has grade issues. I don't personally know how serious those grade issues are, but we'll assume that there is a enough risk here that it needs to be mitigated so you don't burn a scholly.

He will undoubtedly be better than the worst athlete in next year's class, and there's no risk in this blue shirt. If he doesn't make the grades to clear, there is no scholly forward counted. So... this situation is as light of a gray area as you can get without it just being flat white.

Ruling?
giphy.gif

On the Crayola grayscale of of NCAA Recruiting sins, this is White Shimmer.

The Soloman Case:
Soloman is an elite 5-star interior pocket disrupter that can and will immediately upgrade your interior pass rush and run defense. You only get him for two years, but he's already in prime size/shape to contribute immediately, and he'll have a year to get used to the system and test your budding interior offensive lineman in practice. I don't have an issue with forward counting elite players like Soloman. For one, it would seem like a waste to count him this year, since he can't play, and he's the type of transfer that can reap immediate dividends.

Ruling?
giphy.gif

On the Crayola grayscale of of NCAA Recruiting sins, this is Timberwolf, since we only get him for two years.

The Chryst Case:
Chryst, the former 5-star that never quite panned out at Stanford. He played behind a much better offensive line, never had elite stats, had a noticeably bad deep ball, but was a high-quality backup. If they thought he'd come in an challenge for #1 duties... OK... but he didn't. So we essentially blew a scholarship for this year on a quarterback we don't have anymore that wasn't an upgrade over what we already had.

giphy.gif

On the Crayola grayscale of of NCAA Recruiting sins, this is Slate... if they didn't expect him to win the starting job handily (in a season that was lost from the get-go), we had no business burning a scholly on him.

The London Case:
On to London, former middle-of-the-pack 3-star out of Michigan State. Not particularly fast... not particularly shifty... not particularly powerful... not particularly particular... nothing stood out about this kid. I suppose Pruitt wanted some size at RB and in desperation threw him an opportunity, but a little over 200 yds / 3TDs isn't the type of production anybody would look for from a player burning next year's scholarship on a 1 year ride. Average running backs are a dime a dozen, and while I suppose it's good we don't have to watch him for 3 more years, lol, it was a terrible scholly burn.

Ruling?

giphy.gif

On the Crayola grayscale of of NCAA Recruiting sins, this is Outer Space... in where it came from, where it can back to, and Crayola recruiting sin color definition.
The only assumption you have that I don't really agree with is the idea that if Harris takes a spot in next years class that it will be the lowest rated guy's spot next year that he takes. It is at least as likely, maybe more likely, that it will be a highly rated guy that we don't have room for, since the number crunch will likely be after ESD when most of the lower rated guys will sign to guarantee themselves a spot. I give this 20 page post an A-.

@butchna
No opinion on this discussion but just respect for not responding to... Well, the one you didn't respond to, no matter how hard he tried to do what he does.
Only 1 answer for that
View attachment 190858
Sorry I hurt your fee fees a few weeks ago by pointing out you were making a disingenuous, fallacious argument 😘

Attachments

• 55633E4C-9D2B-4A20-8E05-5EB4F32DB8C3.jpeg
    55633E4C-9D2B-4A20-8E05-5EB4F32DB8C3.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Bobo0101
Some people like to have cash in hand before making a purchase... Some like to do credit for same purchase... How I viewed the discussion. All parties want to get the item... But when do you decide to be patient and pay the bill or do another credit purchase? UT needs all these players, but it would be nice to not have to number crunch next year.. I'm on the fence personally..

Some people like to have cash in hand before making a purchase... Some like to do credit for same purchase... How I viewed the discussion. All parties want to get the item... But when do you decide to be patient and pay the bill or do another credit purchase? UT needs all these players, but it would be nice to not have to number crunch next year.. I'm on the fence personally..
Well said.

Reactions: FïreBall
I think there’s a strong argument to be made that quality is more important than quantity in recruiting.

Butch took some huge classes and we never saw much benefit because half of the kids got processed out.

Clemson has taken 17, 14, 21, and 24 kids in their last 4 classes and is on top of CFB because they’ve landed studs.

VN Store

Back