Are we struggling or just getting everyone’s best?

I believe that was the Vols first win while being ranked #1 in the country. Many more to come...

Technially no; we lost to Vandy in 2008 but beat Kentucky the following Sunday and were still ranked #1 because the new rankings didn't come out until the next Monday.

Reactions: vosams and UCVols
Ta!e the W and go on.Sometimes,the other team is on fire from three,other times you just are not in sync.The season is long,just grind and hope your practicing helps to get you through.We got a win,not pretty at times but,the column has a win not a loss.Way to go team,carry on Big Orange!

Reactions: dgrind65
Struggling some and getting everybody’s best effort. Vandy was hitting everything despite good D in ot.

Our D could be better. And rebounding suffers when Grant plays on the perimeter. Admiral seems to be in a slump. He is not having fun and smiling. When he remembers it is a game he will be ok.

We were switching on their guard over the screen. That gave them the advantage in a mismatch, quick on big. In ot it seems we stopped switching and kept a guard on a guard. That really helped.

Grant went inside and took over the game in ot. I assume he could have done so earlier. What a player.

Seems Barnes is developing his team playing Grant on the perimeter. If we get in trouble we seem to go to what we do best.

Just my amateur observation. I think this close game was good for us.

I feel like a lot of our problem tonight was game plan, taking too long to adjust, and Vandy playing out of their minds... We were ready for the zone. We came out and tore it apart. They went man after about five min and we got stagnant. Also missed some shots we normally hit.

Defensively, we came out in the first half and switched screens 1 through 5. After the half they started fighting through with a lot less switching. But it took til half time to make that adjustment which I don’t understand. Also couldn’t guard, literally, the same play every offensive trip for Vanderbilt. They ran that motion about as good as they could have and it worked over and over. When they spread you out and hit threes like they were tonight, you can’t help off on the weak side on the pick and roll.

Last edited:
I've stated multiple times that this year's squad's team defense isn't as good as last year. I'm sure some of it has to do with getting everyone's best shot, but overall, the difference is noticeable. Maybe it's just a lack of communication. All that being said, it's always great to get a dub on the road. GB🍊

To be the man you gotta beat the man.

Tennessee and coach Barnes should expect everyone’s best from here on out no matter who it is. they’ll love nothing more than knocking off the #1 and reading the headlines the next day.

Stay focused Vols!

Actually this was the 3rd consecutive game we have not played well. We seem to be regressing somewhat. Has Tennessee hit the proverbial wall. Did we peak early. Do we get our second wind ? Wait until we hit the Kentucky, LSU, Miss ST, Ole Miss, Auburn stretch. Those are teams who can pull even and then blow past us. Like I said this is the 3rd game and problems showing up all over the place. Remember I said when we play teams with good guard play and speed and slashers to the basket they are going to give us problems. Sooner or later these type games catch up with you. I just like to see the team improve from game to game.

Great win and great game by Williams. Hope it wins him a lot of NBA attention. Don't think I have ever seen a Tennessee power forward ever work under and around the basket and free throw line the way Williams operated tonight. I still see us losing 5 or 6 SEC games this season. Hold on to your hats rough sledding ahead.

Reactions: Frozevol
Rebounds were just 34-32 in Vanderbilt's favor. They had one more offensive rebound than we did and one more defensive rebound. Vandy did beat us to some of the 50/50 balls and they were definitely competing much harder as a team than they did against Miss State. For the 2nd straight game, Tennessee's opponent hit 10 3 point shots - that's a few too many and needs to be addressed.

For all of the negatives we can moan and groan about, Grant Williams is the best free throw shooter, as a post player, that I've seen in college basketball since Christian Laettner - he was 23-23 tonight and we needed every one of them. Great job!

I remember thinking to myself late in the game that he is going to cool off. I was wrong! Without GW we lose by 20 tonight. IMO

I think Pons is hurting us defensively. He gives too much help inside trying to get a block and leaves his man over and over for an open 3.
Was that happening in the Bama game, too? I keep asking myself why there’s usually a dude wide open on the side?

Everyone remember Grant had 4 points and fouled out just a few games ago. It happens. I’m glad we’re getting tested now. We can be beat and will before we know it. Might not be a bad thing. A few ppl might pump the brakes a little and go back to work harder than before.

Opposition 3 point % must be off the charts since the 2nd half of Bama game.

3 or 4 times we played really good D and they would sling it to the corner and almost simultaneous with shot clock running out they would hit a 3. That can be very dis heartening to a D. Think it was a combo of lucky circumstance going Vandy's way and Vandy having a couple in the zone.

Struggling. Don't kid yourself. It's not like teams haven't been trying to beat us all year and suddenly they are fired up. We started the season as the hunted. Ranked in the top 5.

Reactions: Frozevol
3 or 4 times we played really good D and they would sling it to the corner and almost simultaneous with shot clock running out they would hit a 3. That can be very dis heartening to a D. Think it was a combo of lucky circumstance going Vandy's way and Vandy having a couple in the zone.
Vandy intentionally was waiting to the end of the shot clock to run their set and would then get any shot they wanted.

The one thing I like from these poor performances is that this team always believes they are going to win.. One negative that Barnes needs to address is our 3 point shooting. We have too many players lobbing threes that have no business take those shots.

Reactions: Vols All Day
It seems like our D just isn’t where it needs to be. Is this something we are doing or just the nature of being the top team in the land?

Bama could have beaten us. Vandy could have beaten us. We are beatable. I haven't studied each game, but it seems like we have trouble against a zone defense. Anybody else seeing that?

And on D, as somebody else pointed out on here, we are giving way too many good looks to teams shooting the 3. Their 3 percentage against us in recent games is probably way too high.

Wanna have a good chance to beat Tennessee? Do what Bama and Vandy did. Mix up some zone defenses, shoot the three, and hit your foul shots. But we have one of the best coaches in college basketball...maybe coach of the year. Whatever is ailing us will get fixed.

VN Store

Back