Oscar Nominations

Vol49er

I was really bummed to see Ethan Hawke not nominated for Best Actor. And while I hope A Star is Born can win Best Picture, doesn’t look likely without a Best Director nomination. Seems like Roma’s to lose

Can't believe Black Panther got nominated. Disney pull right there.
Yeah, I have grown up on superhero movies and I do think it’s well made, but a Best Picture nomination is a stretch. Though I think the most atrocious one is Bohemian Rhapsody. I’m bewildered about how that is doing so well.

Can't believe Black Panther got nominated. Disney pull right there.

Pariticipation trophy. It won't win, but I agree it's pretty silly it's nominated as a Best Picture. I get throwing it a bone because it made so much money but come on. I doubt it would have gotten a nomination if they still only picked 5 movies instead of up to 10.

But then again, I can't see how BP gets a nom and If Beale Street Could Talk doesn't.

Pariticipation trophy. It won't win, but I agree it's pretty silly it's nominated as a Best Picture. I get throwing it a bone because it made so much money but come on. I doubt it would have gotten a nomination if they still only picked 5 movies instead of up to 10.

But then again, I can't see how BP gets a nom and If Beale Street Could Talk doesn't.
Really enjoyed If Beale Street Could talk. A couple of underdeveloped storylines, but a well acted and beautifully told story. The scene where they are celebrating in the street after they find a place to live was incredible

Aftet the Kevin Hart situation, the oscars deserves to flop.

No one can tell me that Black Panther deserved a nomination less than Bohemian Rhapsody

Fair enough. I haven’t seen Rhapsody but from what I have heard it’s pretty mediocre outside of the guy playing Mercury.

Reactions: Vol49er
After Fargo lost Best Picture to The English Patient the oscars need to flop.
I agree that was wrong... but it wouldn't even make my top 5 most ridiculous best picture winners just since 1990. How about:

1) Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas in 1991.
2) Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction in 1995.
3) The Shape of Water over Dunkirk in 2018
4) Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan in 1999
5) American Beauty over The Sixth Sense in 2000

Reactions: bignewt
No one can tell me that Black Panther deserved a nomination less than Bohemian Rhapsody

And I won't; that's another head scratcher. I'm fine with Rami getting a nom but the movie itself was pretty meh. Neither of those remotely deserve one over If Beale Street Could Talk.

And while we're at it, I think A Quiet Place should have gotten a nom over those 2, especially after Get Out got one last year.

Reactions: Vol49er
And I won't; that's another head scratcher. I'm fine with Rami getting a nom but the movie itself was pretty meh. Neither of those remotely deserve one over If Beale Street Could Talk.

And while we're at it, I think A Quiet Place should have gotten a nom over those 2, especially after Get Out got one last year.
I was a fan of both of those, but for my money, First Reformed was easily the best movie of the year. Only got one nomination though, for original screenplay

I agree that was wrong... but it wouldn't even make my top 5 most ridiculous best picture winners just since 1990. How about:

1) Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas in 1991.
2) Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction in 1995.
3) The Shape of Water over Dunkirk in 2018
4) Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan in 1999
5) American Beauty over The Sixth Sense in 2000
Totally agree with all but #5.

VN Store

Back