Anyone hear Finebaum's comment on Pruitt yesterday?

Pruitt is going to have to win some ball games before any major program rings him up for a job. How many programs were after him when we hire him?
Well Miss st interviewed with him before we hired him, and there were rumors the last few years of him being on short lists for job openings, however if you'll remember he made it clear a few years back that he wasn't interested in a hc job unless it was the perfect fit. He really doesn't have to prove anything to anyone especially at Bama, the guy can flat out coach, if someone happened to think anything different it would mean they never really followed his coaching until hired at Tennessee. I definitely think he would be on the list maybe first because Dabo ain't going anywhere

I'm not sure about JP being the first one bama calls, he's respected but he's still a green first year HC.
As far as missing JP as DC in the championship game, I've said the same thing. Lupoi looked like a deer in headlights, no adjustments.

Some of you really need to get over John Adams, he's in your head. ;)
I mean are people really calling the Finebaum show to complain about Adams :D
Yep, I quit reading John Adams over 20 years ago. It's very easy to do.

Alabama fans have been saying this since he was hired at Tennessee, I'm not talking about the irrational Bama fans, the ones you can have a serious conversation with, "Pruitt is the one guy most like Saban," and the one they'd like to have back the most when Saban rides off into the sunset. They're over Kirby, now it is Dabo and Priutt, and the straw poll is neck and neck.

This. All the logical Gumps pretty much know Dabo will likely turn them down the first time and their second choice is Pruitt, assuming he gets the wheels on the tracks again at UT. In a weird way they are almost pulling for Pru to succeed in Knoxville so he can be primed to come back.

Also, all the support staff he brought with him have openly discussed with people around Hoover that their dream is to build up UT and then go back to Bama one day.

Dabo will be the guy that comes in the second or third time if the program needs a savior.

Well Miss st interviewed with him before we hired him, and there were rumors the last few years of him being on short lists for job openings, however if you'll remember he made it clear a few years back that he wasn't interested in a hc job unless it was the perfect fit. He really doesn't have to prove anything to anyone especially at Bama, the guy can flat out coach, if someone happened to think anything different it would mean they never really followed his coaching until hired at Tennessee. I definitely think he would be on the list maybe first because Dabo ain't going anywhere

His record and the inconsistency of last years team leave the "guy can flat out coach" statement in question. At least at the HC level.

Dabo has been very open about being willing to move to Tuscaloosa if the opportunity arises, but given his success at Clemson I would be interested to see if he makes that move when the time comes. His intent, while interesting, doesn't take into consideration the money that Clemson would certainly throw at him to stay and the reactions from the boosters and the fanbases on both sides should he leave. I think that he will stay at Clemson. He has already made that program a championship program that can beat the very best. To leave would mean that he would have to play Clemson (the program that he built) and revamp Alabama. No clear advantage there unless he is just in love with Alabama.

Dabo would be the first call Bama would make if Saban retired. It wouldn't surprise me if Pruitt was somewhere on that list though.
And Dabo would say thanks but no thanks. I’ve got it good at Clemson right now. Pruitt won’t get any calls from big time programs until he’s won 9-10 games a year for awhile....that’s just the truth of the matter..

Reactions: Rooster1
Saban has won one national championship without Pruitt on his staff Alabama.

Pruitt won a NC off Saban’s staff. You saw a major drop in fundimentals and execution in Alabama’s defense once Pruitt left.

So yes he is EXTREMELY respected as a coach.

He will have growing pains learning to be a HC. However what is is bulding and growing is impressive.

However him replacing Saban???

No way on earth. Pruitt is smarter than that. What Saban has built and the expectations they have. You don’t want to be the guy that replaces Saban.

Be the guy after the guy. If you do that at all.

Reactions: dutchmaster
My dad was listening to it. His big takeaway was "Holly will be out if she loses to Notre Dame Thursday night". Got my fingers crossed on that one. I appreciate Holly, the effort she has put in but, college level athletics, especially at Tennessee, is alot about success and she is not getting it done. I believe these girls are capable of winning but, they seem like 5+ ball hogging, prima donnas that can't make the most simple of recognitions. Their defense is a cross between helter skelter and swatting at flies. The other teams are killing them with threes and possession of the ball, and I mean not turning it over, dribbling it off your foot, and getting rebounds. I wish the best for her, but time for a change and possible some changes in players. Need some "aight" and cornbread over there in that locker room. Maybe an intervention by Coach Barnes and AD Fulmer.

Coaches would be calling BAMA unless the talent level dropped off the radar & Bama didn't win an SEC game...

220px-John_Adams%2C_Gilbert_Stuart%2C_c1800_1815.jpg

Died: July 4, 1826, Quincy, MA

Coaches would be calling BAMA unless the talent level dropped off the radar & Bama didn't win an SEC game...
If Saban goes out on top and continues to win at the level he is when leaving, Alabama will have a hard time hiring a established successful coach.

Expectations are just too high with his level of winning and fan expectations.

Don’t be the guy that follows the GOAT. Be the guy that follows that guy.

Replacing Saban at his peak, is a coaching death sentence.

Alabama fans have been saying this since he was hired at Tennessee, I'm not talking about the irrational Bama fans, the ones you can have a serious conversation with, "Pruitt is the one guy most like Saban," and the one they'd like to have back the most when Saban rides off into the sunset. They're over Kirby, now it is Dabo and Priutt, and the straw poll is neck and neck.
They'll pay out the yang-yang for either of those 2. Both are at well respected universities with top of the line facilities. Both would prefer to make their own mark their own way which Dabo has already done. No reason to go back and coach under the shadow of Saban except one. A dump truck full of green.

Reactions: mtowntim
On a serious note, Alabama will only seriously consider Pruitt if he does a Kirby-like turnaround here. I'm not talking 9-3/10-2 with a Citrus Bowl win - I mean winning the SEC and making the playoff.

If he did it this year, Pruitt would unquestionably be COTY material.

However him replacing Saban???

No way on earth. Pruitt is smarter than that. What Saban has built and the expectations they have. You don’t want to be the guy that replaces Saban.

Be the guy after the guy. If you do that at all.

I think you are absolutely right. It would be a miserable place to coach if you didn't make the playoff every year and win it at least 50% of the time. Just ask Bill Curry who took over a program in decline, went 10-1 in his 3rd season, losing only to AU, and was run out of town on a rail. Nobody in his right mind would follow Saban at Bama.

I know all coaches have egos, but I think that CJP is smart enough to know you never want to follow a legend. Go after the guy that follows the legend.

I was playing chess with a friend, and we had the Finebaum Show on in the background. Finebaum took a call from a guy complaining about John Adams not being objective, anti-UT, always digging at Fulmer, etc. (personally, I think someone needs to take Adams behind a woodshed). Anyway, I just caught bits and pieces of the conversation because I was trying to win $20 I was betting on the chess game. The call ended with Finebaum saying, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I don't know about all that, but Jeremy Pruitt is so respected, I honestly believe if Saban all of a sudden retired today, Pruitt would be the first person Alabama would call to replace Saban." Finebaum was blunt and to the point; I was somewhat shocked. Said something to the effect that Fulmer had already affected Alabama because if Pruitt had been Bama's DC this year, they'd won another NC.

Someone who heard the entire call and comments, please correct anything I may have said wrong or add more accurate comments from the call.

I bet Dabo is the first to be offered. He is an alum and a proven winner. Smart & Pruitt don't have a winning track record yet

One of my closest friends is a huge Clemson fan. He knows that program inside and out. We were talking about Venables and I made the comment that I think he may be the best DC to ever coach the game. While this guy definitely has a man crush on Venables he stated the only DC in the country he has watched that he feels reads the game as well as Venables is Pruitt. I have heard other guys and commentators like Finebaum suggest the same. I hope it is true. If Pruitt can just give the offense to Chaney and run the defense we may be in pretty good shape.

VN Store

Back