Beef between Barnes and Hardaway

Big ta do about nothing here - amazing to me what gets folks riled up these days. Was a hard fought rivalry game and several of the players knew each other from hs / AAU so emotions ran high. Can't do anything but help us come tourney time. Good luck to Mem State on their season. They have some talent and will probably do better than their current 50% winning rate. Hope next years game in TBA is hostile and rowdy - bet the players loved it!

Reactions: StrangeVol
Big ta do about nothing here - amazing to me what gets folks riled up these days. Was a hard fought rivalry game and several of the players knew each other from hs / AAU so emotions ran high. Can't do anything but help us come tourney time. Good luck to Mem State on their season. They have some talent and will probably do better than their current 50% winning rate. Hope next years game in TBA is hostile and rowdy - bet the players loved it!

agreed. Now that we've played Tennessee, OK State, and LSU (plus our old rival UAB and a solid mid-major in Charleston) it's time for cupcake city. The rest of our December includes 3 home games with Little Rock, TN State, and Florida A&M...

Doesn’t mean he’s a “thug” which is without a doubt a coded word.
There are many synonyms for that word. Look at the Greek derivations for several of them and see what you find. I would never model his behavior yesterday to impressionable young men.

There are many synonyms for that word. Look at the Greek derivations for several of them and see what you find. I would never model his behavior yesterday to impressionable young men.

one could easily make the same argument about Bob Knight or Frank Martin yet it seems to work...

I mean, Memphis recruit Damion Baugh has now moved to a 75% Memphis lean. Penny, Sam Mitchell, and Mike Miller do a great job relating to the local Memphis kids.

Damion Baugh, Tennessee Preparatory Academy, Combo Guard

Reactions: k-town_king
I even thought I was watching the Tiger High TV Network. Thompson III seemed thrilled about everything in blue out there. Every once in awhile I heard a crumb or two thrown our way.
Thompson is boring....I've heard better in game discussion from bar patrons.

Not sure what Penny is thinking, still churning the butter. Next year he’ll be coming to TBA, and the more noise he makes now will just result in lore noise then.... and ultimately he and Barnes have the same bosses, the board of regents
If he keeps teaching the flop the NCAa will step in like the NBA and implement a penalty

Funny, he calls coach Barnes low class the cusses him in the same interview. Haters gonna hate...
I have watched the video of the brief skirmish involving Jordan Bone and the Memphis player, which drew technical foul calls, several times now and I can't find any sign of the Tennessee players who walked over to them during the timeout, having their fists clinched (or balled, as Hardaway put it) or trying to escalate the situation into a fight. The trash talking also seemed to be going both ways.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Off topic, but I've been seeing Penny referred to as a "former NBA great" or even an NBA "Legend" .... That is a joke, he might as well have retired after Shaq signed with the Lakers. His career crashed and burned after that.

Off topic, but I've been seeing Penny referred to as a "former NBA great" or even an NBA "Legend" .... That is a joke, he might as well have retired after Shaq signed with the Lakers. His career crashed and burned after that.
He’s not even the best to wear #1 on a historically irrelevant NBA team. TMac>Penny

Also, whats with the Memphis State sense of superiority? Neither of us have ever won a title and we lead the all time series.
Memphis is a great city and has a lot of fine folk, none of which go to or have ever gone to State.

Oh boy, here we go. I'm guessing you're implying that it means he's black. I don't really think that the term applies to one race or sex. It apparently does in your mind.
People throwing thug around are doing it because he is black period. Bobby Knight, Frank Martin and a million other coaches have done worse. No one calls them thugs.

No reason to call a 47 year old multimillionaire who has never once been in trouble with the law a thug. None.

Cowards that want to throw plausibly deniable racist jabs use thug when referring to black men who have never been trouble before.

If there are many synonyms to use why were they not used when they would be much more accurate? The people using thug referring to Penny, who is as square as they come. aren't fooling anyone.

Bill Laimbeer is a thug.
Whoa now, if Laimbeer was a thug that would make Mahorn a thug, too and that would be racist. But, I don't care, Laimbeer and Mahorn were thugs, very smart thugs with skills (I am a Pistons fan), but still thugs. Just like Danny Ainge. K-town, I went to Fulton and there were a lot of thugs, more white than black. Nobody would have considered thug a racist word until 2-Pac glamorized it. Still, I wouldn't call Penny a thug, I prefer whiny little b!tch

Reactions: b-ball fan

VN Store

Back