Non-Lady Vol news 2018-19

From Mizzu so maybe a future tiger ? No clue just guessing and they could use a forward/Center big body

Missouri could use a lot of things right now. They have no identity as a team currently, kind of sad to watch after the last couple years of them having good teams. Cunnigham's shot hasn't been there and if she doesn't score they struggle. They could use some size though, they really don't have any true forwards/posts in their rotation right now. They are trying to run 5'11" Amber Smith on the block, but that wont work in SEC play. I'm not sure how they plan on defending teams inside, they just don't have the personnel this season.

That being said, I don't think Treece is the answer, I've seen her play a few times at Duke, she just isn't very tough. She's 6'4" but she plays 5'6" seems like she'd rather shoot 3's than post up.

Last edited:
I agree and disagree. They lost their leading scorer but we had KK sitting out that was 10 Pts and 6 rbs a game. Also this was a road game for the LV.

The difference was being that it was a #3 Baylor team. Now I totally think that if they beat Stanford it needs to vault them into the top 5 as MD played one ranked opponent on the road which was #10 SC at the time but we know that they have fallen in the rankings for now.

One way to silence the doubters and that’s win!

On the men’s side #12 UNC beat #4 Gonzaga at UNC. When the rankings came out Gonzaga was # 8 and UNC #9... I dunno

We will all agree KK is no J.Holmes and remember KK 10pts and 6rbs was against cups cakes. So let not make KK out as a dominant post player just yet. Let`s see how she play against the top teams we have yet to play.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
We will all agree KK is no J.Holmes and remember KK 10pts and 6rbs was against cups cakes. So let not make KK out as a dominant post player just yet. Let`s see how she play against the top teams we have yet to play.

I believe the player you're talking about is Lashann Higgs. And players being out doesn't mean anything. Notre Dame was riddled with injuries last year and won a Natty with basically 5 players available. Higgs was playing well before she was injured but going forward it doesn't matter, Texas is still a tough team with or without her.

Plus having a player out doesn't mean that they would have played well, maybe she goes 0-12 with 5 turnovers and we win by 15 instead of 6.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

Let’s also not sit up here and say that her inside presence wasn’t missed. Plus I would have liked to see KK keep rolling with the confidence she was starting to gain. Especially when we had to stick in Harris who did the best she could and did pretty well. But her being out thinned our post rotation.

We can all agree KK is no Joyner Holmes because she was not put off the team for violating team rules. We can also agree we don’t know who Joyner Holmes is or who she will be because of her suspension which put her behind last year and her injury this year.

I am personally glad we have KK for another two years especially with the freshman coming in needing to get stronger and more aggressive in the post position. If Key or Saunders was thrown into the fire I don’t know... Saunders is starting to be more aggressive in the post we don’t know about Key because she has been out for whatever reason. Also she will need to get stronger but athleticism can’t be taught and her being 6’5” and a supposed shot blocker should help.

Last edited:
Let’s also not sit up here and say that her inside presence wasn’t missed. Plus I would have liked to see KK keep rolling with the confidence she was starting to gain. Especially when we had to stick in Harris who did the best she could and did pretty well. But her being out thinned our post rotation.

We can all agree KK is no Joyner Holmes because she was not put off the team for violating team rules. We can also agree we don’t know who Joyner Holmes is or who she will be because of her suspension which put her behind last year and her injury this year.

I am personally glad we have KK for another two years especially with the freshman coming in needing to get stronger and more aggressive in the post position. If Key or Saunders was thrown into the fire I don’t know... Saunders is starting to be more aggressive in the post we don’t know about Key because she has been out for whatever reason. Also she will need to get stronger but athleticism can’t be taught and her being 6’5” and a supposed shot blocker should help.

Ok lets put this KK flap to bed i rest my case you win ! As for Saunders i don`t know much about her and have never seen her play. As for Key i had a chance to see her play last year while visiting family in NC. Like i said before i`m not sure if she is hurt on playing on another team. There was talk about a transfer now if that`s the case she would sit out until Jan i would think. But again i`m not sure what her status is right now.

Ok lets put this KK flap to bed i rest my case you win ! As for Saunders i don`t know much about her and have never seen her play. As for Key i had a chance to see her play last year while visiting family in NC. Like i said before i`m not sure if she is hurt on playing on another team. There was talk about a transfer now if that`s the case she would sit out until Jan i would think. But again i`m not sure what her status is right now.

Was this a competition? I thought it was a conversation... but all in all I hope Key is healthy.

Was this a competition? I thought it was a conversation... but all in all I hope Key is healthy.
it is a conversation we just agree disagree on a few. As for Key not sure she played the first two games and that`s it.

Oregon and MSST in a shootout so far. Ionescu and Hebard run the pick and roll to perfection.

40-39 MSST at the half, and that's with McCowan being mostly a non factor on offense. A technical on Graves at the end of the half allowed State to grab the lead after being down by 6 for most of the 2nd quarter. Howard has been scoring from everywhere, and she's on her way to a double double along with Teaira. Bibby has been a solid 2nd scoring option. Sabrina and Spanish guard have been carrying the scoring load for Oregon.

Should be an exciting second half. I think State pulls away once they get McCowan going.

Oregon is legit. Great job of shutting McCowan down. MSST just doesn't have the shooters to win without her.

I think both can make the FF. Howsrd getting better and better with each game.

transfer? be specific..

The way that Oregon was able to take McCowan out of the game was a great job of preparing for a team. They were able to take McCowan out of the game get to the foul line and beat Miss St. if we had stopped Stanford's post player like that we win by 15 points. The fact that we allowed one player to score 33 points was far more a factor why we lost than the threes they made. Looks like the Pac 12 have established themselves as the dominate conference this season with wins over the best two teams in the SEC.

Last edited:
Oregon is legit. Great job of shutting McCowan down. MSST just doesn't have the shooters to win without her.

I think both can make the FF. Howsrd getting better and better with each game.

That is Miss State's biggest vulnerability this year for sure. They still have people that can shoot the 3, but not like last season. When Roshunda Johnson, Schaefer or Vivians shot the ball you just knew it was going in. Not the same quality 3 point shooting on the perimeter to open things up inside. Howard has improved her outside shot, but she'll never be a consistent knock down 3 point shooter like Vivians.

If we are going to get them in the SEC I think this is the year.

If key transferred to a different high school she probably would not be eligible until January. Hopefully she is not hurt again.

Looks like she will be playing tonight so transfer is off the table. Maybe she was hurt not sure.

That is Miss State's biggest vulnerability this year for sure. They still have people that can shoot the 3, but not like last season. When Roshunda Johnson, Schaefer or Vivians shot the ball you just knew it was going in. Not the same quality 3 point shooting on the perimeter to open things up inside. Howard has improved her outside shot, but she'll never be a consistent knock down 3 point shooter like Vivians.

If we are going to get them in the SEC I think this is the year.

Bibby is a better outside shooter than any of the graduated starters from last year, but she's just one person. Oregon made sure that someone was chasing her around the court all night. The problem is Holmes and her lack of perimeter shooting. Oregon left her open all night. At the same time, it's hard to keep her off the court because she's an outstanding playmaker. Her backup is a greater scoring threat, bit not as good at running the offense, so there's no easy answer.

Having said that, I don't think anyone touches them in the SEC. Losing to Oregon on the road isn't the worst of fates, considering Ionescu is one of the frontrunners for NPOY and Hebard is an outstanding, athletic post. They matched up well athletically with MSST. I don't think Tennessee can do the same. McCowan will eat up Tennessee's posts, so the only way they can win is if their guards are shooting lights out. IMO, of course. Tennessee desperately needs one of their inside players to become a consistent offensive threat.

Bibby is a better outside shooter than any of the graduated starters from last year, but she's just one person. Oregon made sure that someone was chasing her around the court all night. The problem is Holmes and her lack of perimeter shooting. Oregon left her open all night. At the same time, it's hard to keep her off the court because she's an outstanding playmaker. Her backup is a greater scoring threat, bit not as good at running the offense, so there's no easy answer.

Having said that, I don't think anyone touches them in the SEC. Losing to Oregon on the road isn't the worst of fates, considering Ionescu is one of the frontrunners for NPOY and Hebard is an outstanding, athletic post. They matched up well athletically with MSST. I don't think Tennessee can do the same. McCowan will eat up Tennessee's posts, so the only way they can win is if their guards are shooting lights out. IMO, of course. Tennessee desperately needs one of their inside players to become a consistent offensive threat.

Yes, Oregon is a whole spot higher than Stanford, so its honorable to lose to them

McCowan has to have the ball to beat up our posts, yes, but if we run our press as it can run, they will have a tough time even getting the ball down the court to her without using her to break the press...There are tactics to eliminate strengths. Aggressive drives on her. get her in foul trouble and sit her down.

You just got to get your troupes to believe it.
The other side of the stone,,,
You've got to believe it!

The key to beating Miss St is to keep McCowans from posting up and off the offensive glass. A decent sized post player who is able to focus on just blocking out McCowans can do that. Last season Oregon did not use Hebard on McCowan rather a number of 6'1"-2" players who McCowan just physically moved and reached over for rebounds and put backs. Hebard also drew McCowan out of the paint to defend her which opened up the driving lanes. The real key was the absence of Vivians who not only was a great outside shooter but also was dangerous driving the lanes which kept the other teams post from focusing solely on blocking out McCowans because they also had to protect the rim on drives. Just having outside shooting does not have the same effect. Vivians was the real difference. Posts could not both block our McCowans and defend the rim against her drives.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
OK has UConn on the ropes up 3 with 4:15 left... UConn playing at OU. A 3-6 team the same team that got beat by UAB (the team LV beat) has UConn on the ropes pretty good game. Someone on here said parody was real this year in the women’s game and I can see it more so than normal.
Don’t know if OK will pull it out but they are making a run at it. It is on FS1

UConn goes 5 deep doesn’t sub much at all fouls or fatigue can be a factor. They still make plays when need be. Shot uncharateristically bad from the floor.

Uh... Not better than Victoria Vivians.

VN Store

Back