Are we Sitting on the OC hire in fear of running off recruits?

These are the big questions that are the most puzzling. So if its an NFL guy, then again, why wait? A team is not going to hire a brand new OC with just a few games left in the season. I mean the season ends on what the 30th? Now that still leaves a couple of months until NSD. But still, it really kind of hinders us for the early signing period.

Now as far as it being a let down hire, thats tricky. Its possible that they dont want to announce it because offensive recruits are going to spurn the hire. If so, then I could see why they wouldnt want to announce it.
I thought there was something about NFL coaches not being able to talk with other jobs before season end? Maybe I dreamed that up.

I don’t feel like it hinders us all that much for ESD, but maybe I am naive on that. Seems like the recruits we seem to be losing ground on for ESD are more defensive side instead of offensive side.

I have gotten to where I don’t trust any of the paysites since Pruitt got here. He seems to be so tight lipped that they can’t get a story. They seem to me to be really grasping at straws to make stories for clicks. To the point that I feel like they are relying on bad info. They all seem to be contradicting one another a lot in this search. Then I have zero faith in the obscure Twitter posters that pop up with breaking info.

These are the big questions that are the most puzzling. So if its an NFL guy, then again, why wait? A team is not going to hire a brand new OC with just a few games left in the season. I mean the season ends on what the 30th? Now that still leaves a couple of months until NSD. But still, it really kind of hinders us for the early signing period.

Now as far as it being a let down hire, thats tricky. Its possible that they dont want to announce it because offensive recruits are going to spurn the hire. If so, then I could see why they wouldnt want to announce it.
Also. Could there be a clause for a coach to stay to a certain point for an incentive like Lindsay had. I would assume that would be something our coach would be willing to accommodate.

I thought there was something about NFL coaches not being able to talk with other jobs before season end? Maybe I dreamed that up.

I don’t feel like it hinders us all that much for ESD, but maybe I am naive on that. Seems like the recruits we seem to be losing ground on for ESD are more defensive side instead of offensive side.

I have gotten to where I don’t trust any of the paysites since Pruitt got here. He seems to be so tight lipped that they can’t get a story. They seem to me to be really grasping at straws to make stories for clicks. To the point that I feel like they are relying on bad info. They all seem to be contradicting one another a lot in this search. Then I have zero faith in the obscure Twitter posters that pop up with breaking info.

I dont know about a rule for NFL coaches not being able to take another job. If true, then that could be a definite reason there is no announcement. I dont trust anything that has come out. Even tweets from Brice or Callahan or anyone. I mean nothing. Until it comes from Fulmer or Pruitt, I am not going to believe it.

Reactions: VOLATNES
The theory of us already making the hire yet not announcing it is not logical.
I bet that soon, Pruitt will interview someone else. Meaning that if we have a silent hire, then why continue to interview others?

Reactions: cgrish
A coach has been hired. The new coach does not want it announced until x date.
Its pretty simple. If its a hire from the nfl it will be the end of the month. It could be someone in a bowl that wants it announced after the bowl. Got to be patient.

View attachment 182264
Either way, it doesn't mean we're knocking out of the park with the hire.

I remember everyone got chewed out pretty regularly when I played and I never even sniffed D1 level. I thought coaches chewing your tail was part of the gig lol. Especially big boy football

I hear you! Millennials have feelings though, man. Haha.

Notre Dame hired Charlie Weiss when he was still OC for the Patriots. The date was December 12th to be exact.

There are valid reasons for not announcing other than bad hire.
Contracts have some coaches tied down until after signing day. Some coaches have to complete the bowl game to get bonuses. Some just want to keep players engaged until the bowl is over, or want the bowl result in the resume.

My guess it’s someone involved in a bowl game and out of respect letting them coach in the final game without distraction maybe?

when-you-are-sitting-in-the-hot-seat-for-real-man-on-wooden-chair-in-fire-1453074030.jpg

The Vols are on fire with the coaching search

The NFL rule only applies to other NFL teams. It has 0 to do with our coaching search. If the new OC is hired (I don't believe he is unless it's a promotion from within) then it needs to be announced. He doesn't need to be helping his current team, he needs to be out recruiting for UT before the dead period.

Either way, it doesn't mean we're knocking out of the park with the hire.

It would really be great to do that for once, but we don't have to. All we need to do is make an upgrade from Helton.

Seriously, I would love to get that home run hire that we've all talked and dreamed about forever, but IMO there are only a couple of directions he could go that would be a huge mistake, and no matter what it looks like from now until an announcement is made, I ain't freaking out. This isn't a search for a Head coach.

Reactions: butchna
My guess is since it doesn’t seem like we are interviewing anymore we have the hire. No idea why we aren’t announcing. Maybe bonus for bowl or NFL guy? No idea, but since we aren’t interviewing seems likely we have the person.

I dont know about a rule for NFL coaches not being able to take another job. If true, then that could be a definite reason there is no announcement. I dont trust anything that has come out. Even tweets from Brice or Callahan or anyone. I mean nothing. Until it comes from Fulmer or Pruitt, I am not going to believe it.

Didn't Petino leave in the middle of the season? He basically left as the final gun sounded on a game I think.

Two options now:

1) We hired somebody still coaching - NFL or college.

2) We are waiting to announce because it’s not exciting and could hurt recruiting.

Two options now:

1) We hired somebody still coaching - NFL or college.

2) We are waiting to announce because it’s not exciting and could hurt recruiting.

You know, I don't think its 2, but then I ask myself, what does my gut tell me it is? I think about every scenario I can think of, stupid or not, and to be honest, I don't have a clue what I would submit as my "Final answer".

The NFL option makes the most sense, until I ask myself why havent they announced it?

There could be a reason I can't think of that the candidate has requested it not be announced until a certain time, but why? IDK.

Some, even me in the beginning, just chalk it up to " its what UT does" or some version of that, but I refuse to accept the worst case scenario right now. Just no way.

VN Store

Back