How do we win in Afghanistan?

We need to leave Afghanistan and use that money towards people in our own country who need help.

Why is it hard for some to rationalize just leaving? It's up to the people of Afghanistan to decide their future, not us. We've shed enough blood over there. Over 2000 soldiers have died. Who knows how many have been seriously wounded. The main goal was to get Bin Laden, which has been done. I'm not sure why we didn't leave a long time ago. I agree with Ras that we just need to leave.

And when terrorists set up known camps there?

As Hog said, bomb the hell out of them, let them pick up the pieces.

Here's the thing, when we went in around the 2001-2002 time frame, we were winning nonstop because we had very little boots on the ground trying to "win the hearts and minds." It was mainly SOF forces, airstrikes and CIA Direct Action teams. We caused a lot of damage to the Taliban and Al Qaeda in those years. Once we decided to try to "win the peace" we utterly failed.

The problem, as I've stated before, is Afghanistan is still tribal in nature; following centuries of pitting this clan against that family and this region against that one. They have to want to become a nation-state rooted in democracy. We cannot give them something they either aren't ready to accept or just flat out don't want. Which is why we can never win.

Here's the thing, when we went in around the 2001-2002 time frame, we were winning nonstop because we had very little boots on the ground trying to "win the hearts and minds." It was mainly SOF forces, airstrikes and CIA Direct Action teams. We caused a lot of damage to the Taliban and Al Qaeda in those years. Once we decided to try to "win the peace" we utterly failed.

The problem, as I've stated before, is Afghanistan is still tribal in nature; following centuries of pitting this clan against that family and this region against that one. They have to want to become a nation-state rooted in democracy. We cannot give them something they either aren't ready to accept or just flat out don't want. Which is why we can never win.
Good post

Clearly the Pentagon has determined that the best course is to maintain bases with small forces available to firefight as the need arises.

At this point, I have no to reason not to defer to its judgment.

Clearly the Pentagon has determined that the best course is to maintain bases with small forces available to firefight as the need arises.

At this point, I have no to reason not to defer to its judgment.
The Pentagon doesn’t chose whether we stay or leave or even what staffing levels we have. That’s purely an executive decision.

And whether they agreed with the policy or not if it was lawful they will do the job they are given.

Reactions: hog88
As much loot as we are spending keeping an airbase, many outposts, etc over there, we need to start mining some of those rare earth minerals that they supposedly have the largest reserves of in the world. I am sure the good ole boy system will get a Haliburton type company in there to make billions and then defer taxes by keeping it all in monaco or switzerland...same crap, different decade...sad.

VN Store

Back