Leotis Burton

shelbyvillevol

#MakeTNGreatAgain
What ever happened to him? My Dad was reminiscing about him yesterday, and it got me curious. He was well before my time, but Dad seemed to remember him being diagnosed with some sort of disease and was forced to give up football after his Freshman year. He claims he was one of the most athletically-gifted defensive linemen he had ever seen. Hopefully he's still alive and well, but I was unable to find any info on him.

It looks like his name is Lee Otis Burton - 1979 Vols. Hope that helps on your hunt

Also, he may live in Cleveland, Tennessee! Lee Burton in Cleveland, TN | Intelius

I was able to find a phone number for him in Cleveland, using whitepages.com. Give him a call and let him know how much he meant to your dad.

Last edited:
It looks like his name is Lee Otis Burton - 1979 Vols. Hope that helps on your hunt

Also, he may live in Cleveland, Tennessee! Lee Burton in Cleveland, TN | Intelius

I was able to find a phone number for him in Cleveland, using whitepages.com. Give him a call and let him know how much he meant to your dad.

I'm not looking to get creepy with it. Just asking out of curiosity.

Lee Otis Burton was a sure fire NFL All Pro until medical issues ended his career. I remember watching him catch Notre Dame's Vegas Ferguson from behind. He was a freak athlete similar in ways to Clowney.

Lee Otis has been a successful business owner in Cleveland, TN for many years.

He had incredible talent, racking up 57 tackles his freshman year, but he suffered from a virus & blood sugar imbalance that sapped his strength and forced him to give up football far too early.

Last edited:
Reactions: BristolVol
After college Lee Otis enjoyed brief success as a singer. Then he started a business.

blackman.jpg

Lee Otis Burton was a sure fire NFL All Pro until medical issues ended his career. I remember watching him catch Notre Dame's Vegas Ferguson from behind. He was a freak athlete similar in ways to Clowney.

Beat me to it. That was amazing to see.

He and Reggie may have gotten to play together for a short time, correct? Oooh. That could have been a little like the Henderson, Haynesworth, Jackson, & Overstreet year.

Lee Otis has been a successful business owner in Cleveland, TN for many years.

He had incredible talent, racking up 57 tackles his freshman year, but he suffered from a virus & blood sugar imbalance that sapped his strength and forced him to give up football far too early.

A blood chemistry issue was also what I remembered. He was one of my "suite-mates" one summer quarter in South Carrick...maybe 1980. Very nice guy. I remember following him up the stairway one time and he wasn't real steady and we only lived on the 2nd floor. It was against dorm policy but he had a pet dog which was very quiet. He rivaled Reggie White in ability before his medical issue.

Reactions: 2 people

I was at that game and he did run down Ferguson after a long run. If he would have played all four years, he would be in the conversation when people talked about our greatest linemen of all time.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the Lee Otis Burton that played for UT died about 20-25 years ago. He didn't get to play much at UT due to his health & I thought I remembered reading years ago he had died. Of course I thought the old KNS sports writer Marvin West was dead too & heard he was alive a few months ago! Thought he died in the 90s so maybe, hopefully, I'm wrong about Lee Otis

Better than Clowney. More heart and desire.

Reactions: 2 people
As has been said - a real athletic talent and from all I heard a good guy. My next door neighbors during the World's Fair ran all the arcades and IIRC Lee Otis worked with them.

At the time Lee Otis was at Tennessee, I lived in Hess, and one of the guys who lived on my floor worked in the Gibbs Hall dining hall. They were good friends, and Lee Otis & Lemont Holt Jeffers would come by from time to time. Burton was huge, but one of the nicest and humble people I ever met. Had his health remained good, I have no doubt he would have made it in the NFL.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the Lee Otis Burton that played for UT died about 20-25 years ago. He didn't get to play much at UT due to his health & I thought I remembered reading years ago he had died. Of course I thought the old KNS sports writer Marvin West was dead too & heard he was alive a few months ago! Thought he died in the 90s so maybe, hopefully, I'm wrong about Lee Otis

Norman Bates, is that you?

VN Store

Back