Left Cheek

allvol21

What has Jimmy Cheek done for our basketball program or athletics in general?

Don't get petty please give actual arguments as to what he has brought or not brought to support our athletics to the championship level?

Why he should be held responsible for the past few years in basketball and athletics in general?

If he left or was terminated why are you convinced that our programs would go straight up?

IDK if Jimmy Cheek is the problem with athletics. Here is what I do know.

Jimmy Cheek was the final decision maker for the firing of Bruce.

He helped get academics to agree to stop taking the large donations from the athletics and to look into a profit percentage in the future rather than a lump sum at the beginning of the fiscal year.

On an academic note, he has raised tuition for students every year for the past few years. This is annoying because he sends an email every year to the students claiming that they are raising the tuition by such a large percent this year so that they will not have to raise tuition again next year. Guess what? He recommends to the university board that we raise tuition again the next year. (side note: he also accepts raising to his salary while charging the students more)

I don't know if we is helping or harming our athletics, I do know that he has a history of being shady and I wouldn't want him watching my back.

Reactions: 6 people
I think volnation needs to change there name to cry baby university or blame others but the team or blame the athletic department crybabys

Reactions: 1 person
people blaming Cheek for the state of athletics are simply looking for an excuse

Jimmy Cheek was the final decision maker for the firing of Bruce.
wasn't really a tough decision

On an academic note, he has raised tuition for students every year for the past few years. This is annoying because he sends an email every year to the students claiming that they are raising the tuition by such a large percent this year so that they will not have to raise tuition again next year. Guess what? He recommends to the university board that we raise tuition again the next year. (side note: he also accepts raising to his salary while charging the students more)

you think Jimmy Cheek has the power to unilaterally raise tuition?

I don't know if we is helping or harming our athletics, I do know that he has a history of being shady and I wouldn't want him watching my back.

link to shady history?

Reactions: 2 people
When things go wrong someone must be to blame, in this case there's plenty enough to go around. Fire everyone(with the exception of CBJ & staff)!

I don't like the fact that the author picks and chooses his numbers, particularly his "In pearl's last three years" arguments, but other than that it's not a bad article.

We can make anyone look good if we play with the numbers enough, and that's what this guy did in that regard at least.

That's a great read. Maybe VolStudent5 should read it.

Some people could read it, print it, frame it, and hang it and it still wouldn't make a dent. Our fans basketball IQ is revealed every Sunday night on the Locker Room. lol

Pitiful..... and Tony Jones isn't helping our cause.

Reactions: 3 people
LOL, If Martin misses the NCAA then he's gone. If he ain't gone after missing the 2A's, then they really do need to fire Booger. I love how folks bash the fans for having an opinion, but that's a Martin defender for you- excuses, excuses, excuses, deflection, etc.

LOL, If Martin misses the NCAA then he's gone. If he ain't gone after missing the 2A's, then they really do need to fire Booger. I love how folks bash the fans for having an opinion, but that's a Martin defender for you- excuses, excuses, excuses, deflection, etc.

Not a Martin Defender. I think that if they miss the tourney again, then a change is needed.

I don't bash fans with opinions. Just some people don't look at all the facts before they take such a hard stance. But I guess that goes for most things. An old football coach always said "Opinions are like a**holes...everyone has one and they all stink."

I liked this article, because it was based on some facts and not clouded judgement. Just was hoping to inject some logic into the discussions. I've been a member of this board for 2 years and have followed it longer than that. I have only made roughly 60 posts because I hate bashing and like to make informed opinions. I do love the passion of our fan base. I am and will always be a VFL! Class of '94.

So funny another one who call people names if they do not agree with your view point.

I don't like the fact that the author picks and chooses his numbers, particularly his "In pearl's last three years" arguments, but other than that it's not a bad article.

We can make anyone look good if we play with the numbers enough, and that's what this guy did in that regard at least.

As Disraeli said " There are three kinds of lies, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.".

I've got a few problems with the bball article.

1. Cuonzo is 7-5 vs UK, Vandy, Fl and Pearl was 8-10 in his last three years. That's a little skewed. You are comparing 3 years of Pearl including his worst year. Also, you only considering 2 years of Cuonzo. He only has the UK game this far in 2013-14.

2. Attendance- I agree with his overall point that attendance isn't as bad as Martin haters would like. However, the stats are using Pearl's own success against him to say attendance started dipping under pearl. Well, it dropped about 1300 seats over two years but I'm pretty sure we renovated and lost about 4k seats during that time too.

3. The article is slighted in favor of Martin in the point of views it takes. Example: using the espn rankings for this year's recruiting class. I think we've got some pretty solid recruits but if you want to use ESPN rankings for hoops recruiting, you don't want to see Martin's other classes on espn which will show lots of 2*. Also, the article uses Pearl's last year (worst year) to compare a couple times. That's unfair IMO.

1. Cuonzo is 7-5 vs UK, Vandy, Fl and Pearl was 8-10 in his last three years. That's a little skewed. You are comparing 3 years of Pearl including his worst year. Also, you only considering 2 years of Cuonzo. He only has the UK game this far in 2013-14.

2. Attendance- I agree with his overall point that attendance isn't as bad as Martin haters would like. However, the stats are using Pearl's own success against him to say attendance started dipping under pearl. Well, it dropped about 1300 seats over two years but I'm pretty sure we renovated and lost about 4k seats during that time too.

3. The article is slighted in favor of Martin in the point of views it takes. Example: using the espn rankings for this year's recruiting class. I think we've got some pretty solid recruits but if you want to use ESPN rankings for hoops recruiting, you don't want to see Martin's other classes on espn which will show lots of 2*. Also, the article uses Pearl's last year (worst year) to compare a couple times. That's unfair IMO.

Gotta agree on all 3 accounts. I will be waiting till selection Sunday to start pushing for a new coach, but the comparisons definitely seemed skewed to favor CCM.

Solid Points.

But the facts are the facts when it comes to the violation, cover up and lies. I loved Perl, and was extremely disappointment in what went down. I'm not for or against martin. Just want stable solid success for our Vols.

Solid Points.

But the facts are the facts when it comes to the violation, cover up and lies. I loved Perl, and was extremely disappointment in what went down. I'm not for or against martin. Just want stable solid success for our Vols.

hear hear

VN Store

Back