2014 F Kevon Looney

Why he committed: Looney committed to the Bruins for reasons on and off the court.

“I love the campus," he said. "It was the most beautiful campus that I have seen. When UCLA was first recruiting me, I was not sure. But once I got to meet Coach Alford, we hit it off.

"I believe they will use my versatility. I like the way they use Kyle Anderson. The team seems closer than last year and a lot happier, and that meant a lot to me.”

-ESPN

Man this pisses me off. Can we just delete and forget?

Me too. Season tickets at midcourt, row 19. I now appreciate that my dad never gave them up and kept the faith. I saw some really good basketball as a result years later.

I usually sat right under the basket, I was a student back then.....I would go watch the Lady Vols (games were played before the men a lot back then so I would definitely have the cool seats.

Enjoyed all the discussion and info here. Thanks to all!!

My mistake was I thought it was Us and duke. The news yesterday made me certain Duke wasn't the choice. Oh well sucks but a hell of lot to look forward to this season!!!

this is why utk needs to really get with the whole making campus nicer. this ugly-ass "campus" made up of parking lots and traffic isn't helping us in any shape or form.

Lol yup it's are "ugly ass" campus that's why we didn't land looney. Guys we have another genius on the board. Are you related to the great-almighty BOP?

Last edited:
Lol yup it's are "ugly ass" campus that's why we didn't land looney. Guys we have another genius on the board. Are you related to the great-almighty BOP?

I think he is referring to how looney talked about how beautiful the Ucla campus was.

this is why utk needs to really get with the whole making campus nicer. this ugly-ass "campus" made up of parking lots and traffic isn't helping us in any shape or form.

I agree to an extent. The architecture lacks any real creativity, and there are a ton of parking lots, which you appreciate if you have to park on campus, but does lack any visual appeal.

I will say that the number of recruits whose decision is based upon campus aesthetics is probably few and far between. It needs to be spruced up for sure, but I doubt the board of trustees is going to look at any athlete's recruitment as justification for making it happen.

I don't think Martin is the kind of guy to let this affect him, but how disheartening it must be to recruit this guy for so long and go all out on him only to come in close second, to UCLA no less.

I hope CCM continues to shoot high in recruiting. As stated, he's come in 2nd a couple of times so he must be doing something right as TN is not one of the storied BB programs in the country and CCM doesn't have a history of success that would demand instant respect. Somehow, he continues to get in the race for some top players. If he stays at it, eventually a few will throw their hat his way. Outstanding results on the court this season could only help his cause down the road with future recruits.

Steve Alford?
The fact that UT was in the mix was remarkable. But Looney's selection is odd.
Alford has done less with more through out his career.
Duke or Florida would have made more sense.

This thread needs to plummet to the far depths of the rest of the threads. He's decided to go west. Good luck young man. Time for us to move on to a newer thread and subject.

Steve Alford?
The fact that UT was in the mix was remarkable. But Looney's selection is odd.
Alford has done less with more through out his career.
Duke or Florida would have made more sense.

It is obvious the kid doesn't want to develop into a one and done playing under Alford.

Reactions: 1 person
This thread needs to plummet to the far depths of the rest of the threads. He's decided to go west. Good luck young man. Time for us to move on to a newer thread and subject.

Such as how Martin can't recruit and we will suck for the next 5 years? Cause that hasn't been discussed before.

Not directing this at you, just sayin. That's what every other thread has turned into.

Such as how Martin can't recruit and we will suck for the next 5 years? Cause that hasn't been discussed before.

Not directing this at you, just sayin. That's what every other thread has turned into.

Not taken that way. Looking positively at this. I sincerely believe CCM did all he could to persuade Looney to be a Vol. But for now we need to move on. We have 4 solid guys coming in next fall and finally a legit point guard. Win games, go dancing and the talent will come.

Reactions: 1 person

LOL. Unless the eastern seaboard falls into the ocean, there is absolutely nothing UT can do to compete with UCLA's campus. It is what it is. You can't scrap it and start over. It is not the most beautiful, but it isn't terrible either. I would say middle of the SEC.

But, we have gotten many great players in our sports teams for having an "ugly-ass" campus. More to school than the campus.

Not taken that way. Looking positively at this. I sincerely believe CCM did all he could to persuade Looney to be a Vol. But for now we need to move on. We have 4 solid guys coming in next fall and finally a legit point guard. Win games, go dancing and the talent will come.

Absolutely agree. Can't get them all. Once Martin makes it to the tourney and proves that the Vols are a solid BB school, the recruits will come.

Don't understand the posters comments about Alford sucking and Looney not wanting to be a one and done. Nothing CM has done to prove he is better yet. Alford has more experience and even though I hate them and they're not what they used to be, UCLA is still viewed as a BB school. They probably also have more backing $$$ for the BB program.

UCLA is the Kentucky of the West Coast. They may have been down recently, but just a few years ago they had back to back to back Final Fours, and they still have a bajillion championships.

Alford may not take them back to the title, but he'll get recruits and win games there. No shame in losing a recruit to a program like that.

VN Store

Back