2014 F Kevon Looney

Very disappointing news. I'm just glad he didn't pick another SEC school. I am with the others that would much rather see him at WI or UCLA if he didn't pick us.

But if you only plan on being in school for one winter, LA is hard to beat. It's not like he plans on staying there. It's a platform for him to showcase, then get outta there.

I think the argument goes the other way. If you are only there one winter, then....

I am not criticizing him. UCLA is a blue blood. But, if you are talking about showcasing skills, they also play on the west coast. When is the last time that you have watched a Pac 12 team play at home? West coast games get lost out there. If he wanted true exposure, Duke and MSU are the places to go. I understand Duke will have more players, so that leaves MSU.

I was an honors and AP student in high school, yet my classes are way harder than any AP class.

Honors classes in memphis? Doubt they were very hard, no offense to Stokes. I know that Knoxville carries most of the schools in Tennessee because how bad the Memphis and Chat areas are.

Seems to me he's eager to jump in the NbA

Central is not a bad school within the city. White Station is obviously the best with Ridgeway in the mix.

Houston, Collierville, and Germantown (all in suburbs) are 3 of the best in the state.

I don't think he is saying that. I took him to mean that there usually is a correlation to top 25 recruiting rankings and a top 25 product on the court. I don;t think he is saying it is a guarantee tho. jmo

That's exactly what I mean.....it works out that way more times than not.

I think the argument goes the other way. If you are only there one winter, then....

I am not criticizing him. UCLA is a blue blood. But, if you are talking about showcasing skills, they also play on the west coast. When is the last time that you have watched a Pac 12 team play at home? West coast games get lost out there. If he wanted true exposure, Duke and MSU are the places to go. I understand Duke will have more players, so that leaves MSU.

NBA Scouts will go anywhere. If UCLA compliments his skill package then so be it...

You realize that there is an entire season to play before fans need to worry about that, right? Your going to miss the excitement of this season by bitc#ing about next season. Wait until April to do that. A LOT can change in that amount of time.

Since I have followed the Vols since Ray Mears arrived I try to look down the road always. Its about where the program is and not a specific year. I believe we will do very well this year and I am sure going to enjoy it but a program has to sustain itself. I do not consider it to be b====ing to try to get a picture of where we will be and what we will need. That being said I still wonder who our second and third options will be in 14-15. Some folks assume Stokes will still be here but I just don't see it. Now if he is that solves part of the problem but I don't see why he would be here.

Reactions: 1 person
Since I have followed the Vols since Ray Mears arrived I try to look down the road always. Its about where the program is and not a specific year. I believe we will do very well this year and I am sure going to enjoy it but a program has to sustain itself. I do not consider it to be b====ing to try to get a picture of where we will be and what we will need. That being said I still wonder who our second and third options will be in 14-15. Some folks assume Stokes will still be here but I just don't see it. Now if he is that solves part of the problem but I don't see why he would be here.

I agree these young posters don't understand how we think bc they haven't lived through the bad times.

There are a lot of good athletic players in that group but my worry continues to be where the scoring will come from. I am going to assume that Hubbs will be a scorer based on having seen him a bunch. Every team needs three options and for the life of me I can't find the second one unless Richardson has come on like gangbusters. This is why I worried about passing over another athletic guy who could develop in a couple of years. Looney is the kind of guy who would have demanded attention from the other team and he would have been very good here. However we passed on some talent to go all in on him. I see most of our guys in 14 as being extremely promising if they were matched up with a couple of dynamite scorers.

It's a legitimate concern but probably a bit of an overreaction. When Pearl left and left the roster bare, I remember wondering where our scoring would come from. We had ZERO returning scorers. But sometimes guys just step up. It seems to work itself out. Going into Martin's first year I remember thinking "There's no way we finish about 10th in the conference because we don't have a soul who can score." But then Golden and Maymon came on, we added Stokes and McRae improved somewhat.

So imagine Hubbs is a scorer and Richardson continues his steady improvement. Then all we need is a guy or two to step up. It will happen.

you realize NBA scouts travel right? they do go to west coast games.

Some folks assume Stokes will still be here but I just don't see it. Now if he is that solves part of the problem but I don't see why he would be here.

If Stokes stay's past next year, it will be because he didn't have the season that either he or the fans were expecting. In my opinion, wanting Stokes to stay is a shortsighted view. Stokes leaving early gives Martin the ability to go into a top 25 recruit home and say...yes, I have gotten people to the NBA. Cause I can tell you, that there are very few top 25 players that are looking to stay 4 years.

you realize NBA scouts travel right? they do go to west coast games.

Yea, it was somewhat said in jest. But, my response was to an argument that Looney was trying to "showcase his skills." To me, that doesn't just mean to NBA scouts. It also means to maximize your media/tv coverage. The west coast is a strange world because it is not the place to maximize your tv coverage. That is why there is a bit of bias when it comes to east coast/midwest coverage.

That said, UCLA is a great program with great weather (and girls). Alford will most likely do well out there, but he had the chance to play for two of the all-time greats who will get tv coverage EVERY single week. Just my point.

Yea, it was somewhat said in jest. But, my response was to an argument that Looney was trying to "showcase his skills." To me, that doesn't just mean to NBA scouts. It also means to maximize your media/tv coverage. The west coast is a strange world because it is not the place to maximize your tv coverage. That is why there is a bit of bias when it comes to east coast/midwest coverage.

That said, UCLA is a great program with great weather (and girls). Alford will most likely do well out there, but he had the chance to play for two of the all-time greats who will get tv coverage EVERY single week. Just my point.

I agree. I live out West i hear it all the the time about East coast bias. Plus, when the Pac 12 plays most people back East and Midwest are asleep.

I agree. I live out West i hear it all the the time about East coast bias. Plus, when the Pac 12 plays most people back East and Midwest are asleep.

Yep. Only been out there a few times. Was in Vegas last fall and watched football all weekend long. It is strange watching football at 9am and then basically being done by 9pm.

I try to keep up with the Grizzlies, but there is no way that I can when they are on their west coast trips.

Never really anticipated he would come to UT. Martin has yet to show any ability to recruit elite talent out of state. And to anyone claiming recruiting rankings only matter superficially, please look where Duke, UK, Kansas, etc. have been ranked in the last decade as well as first round draft picks rankings coming out of high school. Butler is the exception, not the rule.

VN Store

Back