Home Brewers

Thanks so much, I'll check into those! I usually use Midwest Supplies but I've heard great things about Northern Brewer, too. The ones on Midwest use a lot of orange peel too, and that's why I've shied away from them.

Well, I tried my IPA last night. It's my first brew that is totally my recipe. I was going for something super hoppy and that's what it is. The hops are really in your face! I mean one hand grabbing you by the nostrils and the other slapping you silly kind of in your face! Just the way I like it. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 4
Its really lite, chicks love it lol. I like it in the summer time after cutting grass or in the pool. It tastes just like Sweetwater Blue if you've ever had that.

Never had the Sweetwater Blue. For some reason I have just never gotten one to try. I like wheat beers but just never tried it. Does it have a super sweet taste?

Never had the Sweetwater Blue. For some reason I have just never gotten one to try. I like wheat beers but just never tried it. Does it have a super sweet taste?

No, the blueberry is very faint. Its a really lite wheat with just a hint of blueberry. Not my usual go to beer, I love super hoppy IPAs but its a good lite summer time beer. I keep my blueberry wheat on tap during the summer months.

That's awesome hop! Congrats. I've been on a break lately. Need to get back into it. Maybe I will when I get normal checks again. Furlough was reduced thank goodness but 6 days was still tough.

Way to go Georgia! The Brewmasters Open in Alpharetta has been cancelled over a damn $50 permit. I received this email from them.

With deep regret the 2013 competition scheduled for Sept. 21, 2013 has had to be cancelled. The new Georgia House Bill 99 effective July 1, 2013 mandates that all homebrew events must have a permit from the municipality where they will be conducted. The Brewmasters worked with the City of Alpharetta to obtain the permit but the City feels that the new law, as written by the State, is too vague and they cannot act upon our request in the timeframe required.
Alternate options were explored including moving the competition to the City of Dunwoody but those did not work out. Printing of bottle labels was disabled on the registration site since they needed to contain the event permit number. Since the time has come for entries to be sent by brewers to the contest and there is no hope in sight of obtaining a permit in the time required we are forced to cancel this year's competition.
To our knowledge no entries have been sent to Brew Depot yet but if any have been dropped off the brewers will be contacted so they can pick them up.
We apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for your patience and support!

Picked up a red ale kit the other day. Hoping to get it started this weekend. This will be my third batch and I'm hoping it turns out better than the last. I didn't dilute my sanitizer nearly enough and the whole batch tasted like iodine (used iodophor). Picked up some star-san with this kit so I'm hopeful this go round will be better. I'll certainly be more cognizant of getting the proportions right.

Picked up a red ale kit the other day. Hoping to get it started this weekend. This will be my third batch and I'm hoping it turns out better than the last. I didn't dilute my sanitizer nearly enough and the whole batch tasted like iodine (used iodophor). Picked up some star-san with this kit so I'm hopeful this go round will be better. I'll certainly be more cognizant of getting the proportions right.

Star San is what I use. Its good stuff. 1 oz will treat 5 gallons of water. PBW for cleaning, Star San to sanitize.

Star San is the easiest I think. No rinse is hard to get used to though. I always freak when it foams too much but it always works fine.

Brewed a dunkelweizen today. Did some mods on the wort chiller. Cooled me to 80 in about 12-15 minutes with the pre chill bucket. So happy I made one. It's not the prettiest looking thing but dang why didn't I do this sooner.

Starting up again, using Alaskan Brewing Company's Amber Ale Recipe, adding Hungarian Hickory Wood Chips and Elderberries.

Should be ready in early October.

First time Grapes and Grains in Greenville. Man, what was I thinking, why didn't I check this place out sooner?

Just got back from the Wilson County Fair. My Blueberry Ale took 2nd place in the light ale category. :toast:

I would have made a special trip up there if I had known you were entering in the Wilson Co. fair. I grew up in Mt. Juliet going to that fair each year.

Btw, I'm about to bottle the Lefse Blonde kit that you suggested to me. I ended up boiling in the lemongrass I told you about a while back, and man, it smells great coming out of the primary fermenter's airlock. I think it's going to turn out well.

Edit: I'm going to put it in a glass secondary for a couple of weeks first to try and clear it up a little more.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back