Learning a Second Language

VOLtownUSA

Déjà vu all over again
So I've been tinkering around with the idea of learning a new language, Japanese, and seem to be getting mixed messages from multiple corners of Al Gore's internet (different spellings from different sites, which form of a word is "proper" vs "plain", how to say certain phrases, word meanings, etc.); Anyways, I figured it may be a good idea to start a thread where those over-achievers (read: nerds) of us could discuss such a topic: give tips, anecdotes about their experiences, maybe good products (Rosetta Stone, Primsluer, etc.), reviews of said products, you get the idea. For example: the best (free, heheh) website I've found for Japanese is 123 Japanese - Learn Japanese for free online; or at least it seems the most "professional". I've not found (or can afford currently) any further supplements at the moment but any suggestions would be much appreciated. :hi:

Why Japanese?

That's a very good question, one I'm not even sure the answer of myself. My best answer is just that it appeals to me for some reason. I do partake in quite a bit of Japanese-based media (video games, music, anime, manga, hell even Godzilla movies lol) so that could be some of it. Sorry for not having a better answer :hi:

My first thought would be that you should pick a language that's going to benefit you in some way, shape, or form, like spanish. You're more likely to run across a spanish speaking person before you do a japanese speaking person.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
My first thought would be that you should pick a language that's going to benefit you in some way, shape, or form, like spanish. You're more likely to run across a spanish speaking person before you do a japanese speaking person.

I'm aware of that; Spanish just doesn't appeal to me at all though. :hi:

In my opinion Rosetta Stone isn't worth the money. I speak five languages and have tried out Rosetta Stone in the past and it is quite flawed. I recommend Http://www.livemocha.com. The basic version is free and uses the same concept as Rosetta Stone. You also have native speakers correcting your "homework" on there as well. I promise you it's overall a better product than Rosetta Stone.

In my opinion Rosetta Stone isn't worth the money. I speak five languages and have tried out Rosetta Stone in the past and it is quite flawed. I recommend Http://www.livemocha.com. The basic version is free and uses the same concept as Rosetta Stone. You also have native speakers correcting your "homework" on there as well. I promise you it's overall a better product than Rosetta Stone.

weird question but, what language do you dream in and is that your native language?

Interesting question! I actually dream in Spanish and English almost all the time. From time to time Tagalog, French, or Portuguese. My native language is English, but my mom is from the Philippines (hence the Tagalog); however, as I use Spanish a lot I dream often in it. I find that if I use a language a few hours before going to bed, it's highly likely I will dream in that language. They often say when you start dreaming in another language, it means that you really are starting to get the language and I personally believe that to be true.

Is this website also good for Spanish? I'm wanting to learn Spanish.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to check that out :hi:

Is this website also good for Spanish? I'm wanting to learn Spanish.

I've never used it for Spanish, but I would assume so. My friends that I recommended it to really liked it and even bought the services.

Another suggestion is find an internet pen pal and doing exchanges. Talk in English one day, talk in Spanish (or whatever language) the next.

The I-House at UT has some good language tables every week where you can speak with native speakers. I'm not sure what the schedule is though. I'm not sure if they still do this, but UT's Spanish department used to meet up every Friday at Cool Beans at 5 for drinks and to talk in Spanish followed up with the Portuguese department at the Golden Roast at 7.

How do you know that learning Japanese won't benefit him in some way? Even if it doesn't it can still just be a hobby that he can pursue...

I've never tried livemocha but I would definitely say that you will want to learn from someone who is a native speaker. It's one thing to learn a language...but it's even better if you understand how it is spoken.

I've never tried livemocha but I would definitely say that you will want to learn from someone who is a native speaker. It's one thing to learn a language...but it's even better if you understand how it is spoken.

I agree with this. A lot of focus is put into formal speech, but actual conversation can be completely different, but as a starting point, I think Live Mocha is pretty good.

We lived in Japan for 3 years and my eldest daughter is teaching English there currently. During our headstart language course the instructor told us a secret. "All you have to learn is one phrase “sumimasen,” which means "excuse me." All Japanese learn English in school and all speak or read it to some level. But, they are too shy to try to use it and make a mistake. If you just say “sumimasen, do you speak English?” they will think "well he took a risk, so I will too!"

Other than food words and some greetings, we got by with “sumimasen” for 3 years.

Bump.

I've been learning german for 7 years through the school system. 2 years every day for 1 hour 5 times a week. Then 4 years for 1.5 hour 2/3 times a week. Now in college 3 times a week for 50 min.

I find it really interesting about dreaming in another language. I've never had it happen 100% (little bits and pieces).

I really want to learn Russian. Used to speak it for a while but lost it as a grew up.

I’m giving Spanish a shot for work and have done a few lessons from Pimsleur and have enjoyed them. They seem seem to teach conversation instead of just a bunch of random vocabulary words which I seem to retain better. Anyone have any others that have worked for them?

I’m giving Spanish a shot for work and have done a few lessons from Pimsleur and have enjoyed them. They seem seem to teach conversation instead of just a bunch of random vocabulary words which I seem to retain better. Anyone have any others that have worked for them?
I always hear an annoying commercial on the radio about the app Babbel. It's free, wouldn't hurt to give it a look.

Does anyone know of a highly versatile, multi-lingual, multi-dimensional Light Language teacher? Have Interest; Will Travel

VN Store

Back