The Golf Thread

so I had a 4:00 tee time today at a course 5 minutes from where I live and my buddy lives I get there around 3 to hit balls and putt a little before teeing off, the whole time im there the 1st tee is open my buddy shows up with his dad at 3:50 and they start hitting range balls the first tee is 30 yards from where he is hitting by the time he finishes about 4:05 two threesomes with jump in front of us. we were already told carts must be turned in by 7:45. I got so pissed at him I left got my money back and went home.

Your buddy is a nimrod, but with two threesomes in front of you, I'd think you could've gotten around the course in 3:30-3:45.

Or go jump on 10. Chances are nobody is going to be teeing off when you make the turn if carts have to be in by 745.

I had a revelation on the golf course today. If I leave my driver in the bag and hit my 3 wood 270 Yds and in the fairway I score really well. It only took 20 years of golf to come to this realization.

I had a revelation on the golf course today. If I leave my driver in the bag and hit my 3 wood 270 Yds and in the fairway I score really well. It only took 20 years of golf to come to this realization.
Cut the driver down to 43.5" which is .5" longer than the normal 3 wood length & you have driver you can control.

Driver length is funny. It's clearly geared toward milking a couple extra MPHs for amateurs trying to hit it 300 yards. The average nowadays is probably 45", yet the entire PGA Tour is playing at around 44" and Tiger is at 43.5". Unless the course you play is 6,600+ yards, length off the tee is the single most overrated stat there is.

Driver length is funny. It's clearly geared toward milking a couple extra MPHs for amateurs trying to hit it 300 yards. The average nowadays is probably 45", yet the entire PGA Tour is playing at around 44" and Tiger is at 43.5". Unless the course you play is 6,600+ yards, length off the tee is the single most overrated stat there is.

Just because you can't hit it 320 yards down the pipe with your keep it in play driver like BC doesn't mean you should be so jealous.

I'm starting to agree. I hit 3 wood on every hole yesterday but 1. I was never outside of 140 on any of my approaches on par 4s.

Last edited:

I think my driver is 46". Mainly for my height, im 6'5. I may consider cutting it down to 45 but am worried that I won't like it and will have ruined a perfectly good shaft.

I think my driver is 46". Mainly for my height, im 6'5. I may consider cutting it down to 45 but am worried that I won't like it and will have ruined a perfectly good shaft.
You won't ruin the shaft if you don't like it. A graphite shaft can be extended with a plastic butt extension. Very easy process. Need any help with it let me know
So go test a 45" driver before you do anything.
Another way is to wrap several layers of masking tape 1" down from the butt cap on the existing driver grip. Grip the club below the tape & now you can hit your driver 1" shorter without cutting it

You won't ruin the shaft if you don't like it. A graphite shaft can be extended with a plastic butt extension. Very easy process. Need any help with it let me know

Another way is to wrap several layers of masking tape 1" down from the butt cap on the existing driver grip. Grip the club below the tape & now you can hit your driver 1" shorter without cutting it

Took my driver from 46.5 to 45.5. Also got my Mizuno Flyhi in with the X100 shaft.

I hate to even admit that merely choking up an inch never entered my mind. :eek:lol:

Has anybody ever traded clubs with golf galaxy? I'm thinking about trading my forged razr's & my R11s in for a new driver & maybe store credit depending on how much they'd give me. Looking at the amp cell & the VRS covert (not the tour version).

Both the irons & the driver have less than 10 rounds on them since I bought them, I just can't hit the driver consistently because it has an X stiff shaft in it & my swing speed isn't high enough for that. Surely GG would give me a good deal on them,no?

Has anybody ever traded clubs with golf galaxy? I'm thinking about trading my forged razr's & my R11s in for a new driver & maybe store credit depending on how much they'd give me. Looking at the amp cell & the VRS covert (not the tour version).

Both the irons & the driver have less than 10 rounds on them since I bought them, I just can't hit the driver consistently because it has an X stiff shaft in it & my swing speed isn't high enough for that. Surely GG would give me a good deal on them,no?

PGA.com Value Guide, the National Standard For Golf Club Values and Information

They have your forged razr's valued at $220.

R11s valued at $75.

I'd probably look at selling them to someone as opposed to trading in. You could always re-shaft the driver.

You're gonna get next to nothing at any of the big box places. Try Craigslist or if you're a member of WRX you can try the Buy-Sell-Trade forum there.

Appreciate it fellas. Definitely not the prices I was hoping for considering the clubs are pretty much brand new. I saw a used set of Razr X's at GG in Brentwood for $379 so I was hoping maybe I'd get $300 at least.

Sounds like Craigslist or WRX is my best option.

CC I know you have the amp cell irons, do you have the driver too?

Appreciate it fellas. Definitely not the prices I was hoping for considering the clubs are pretty much brand new. I saw a used set of Razr X's at GG in Brentwood for $379 so I was hoping maybe I'd get $300 at least.

Sounds like Craigslist or WRX is my best option.

CC I know you have the amp cell irons, do you have the driver too?

Actually I have last years AMP irons, pretty much the same with a different badge & variety of colors. My buddy has the AMP cell driver & he loves it.

Actually I have last years AMP irons, pretty much the same with a different badge & variety of colors. My buddy has the AMP cell driver & he loves it.

Nice. I'll probably end up going with the amp due to it's forgiveness. I've read on a few different sites that the stock shaft in the amp (fujikura fuel) is pretty noodly compared to others..even the stiff flex feels more like a regular flex. No idea if it's true for me or not til I try it out.

Nice. I'll probably end up going with the amp due to it's forgiveness. I've read on a few different sites that the stock shaft in the amp (fujikura fuel) is pretty noodly compared to others..even the stiff flex feels more like a regular flex. No idea if it's true for me or not til I try it out.

My buddy has the stock shaft & it is a little "whippy". I assume its stock. It's white with what looks like paint splattered on it.

VN Store

Back