The Atlanta Braves Thread (Javy Lopez Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every single thing that every single incarnation of Lynyrd Skynyrd did sucks except for "The Ballad of Curtis Loew." You kids are all way too young to be giving Skynyrd any nostalgia points.

When y'all die and go to hell, "Sweet Home Alabama" is going to play on a loop and you'll think back to this conversation and about how right Ole Verc was.

Reactions: 1 person
When y'all die and go to hell, "Sweet Home Alabama" is going to play on a loop and you'll think back to this conversation and about how right Ole Verc was.

I actually like it, maybe because im from Alabama. But I hate when its playing and Bama fans yell "Roll Tide Roll" and Auburn fans yell "War Damn Eagle" during it

Verc, what do you listen to?

Singer-songwriter stuff. Indie rock stuff. Blues of every conceivable flavor. Jazz of every kind but the "smooth" variety. Alt-country/"Americana" country and old-school Johnny Cash/George Jones/Tammy Wynette country, but not the modern Nashville power-pop country crap on the radio. Like every old bastard, I have a heavy bit of nostalgia crap on rotation, but I try not to let it be more than half of what I listen to. I mean, I could listen to Black Sabbath and the Pixies and the Cure and Jane's Addiction all day every day and be perfectly happy, but I work pretty hard to keep up with what's new. I still listen to college radio pretty obsessively.

Singer-songwriter stuff. Indie rock stuff. Blues of every conceivable flavor. Jazz of every kind but the "smooth" variety. Alt-country/"Americana" country and old-school Johnny Cash/George Jones/Tammy Wynette country, but not the modern Nashville power-pop country crap on the radio. Like every old bastard, I have a heavy bit of nostalgia crap on rotation, but I try not to let it be more than half of what I listen to. I mean, I could listen to Black Sabbath and the Pixies and the Cure and Jane's Addiction all day every day and be perfectly happy, but I work pretty hard to keep up with what's new. I still listen to college radio pretty obsessively.
Open minded guy, I like it. Jane Says is a song I like a lot. I hate modern country too man. Most of it is garbage, just an attempt to reach more than one crowd instead of actually making a decent written song. I've never tried out jazz, but I'd like to. Idk how much this is blues, but I like Stevie Ray Vaughn a lot as well. I try and listen to everything and give it a shot, except screamo heavy stuff. That is awful.

Open minded guy, I like it. Jane Says is a song I like a lot. I hate modern country too man. Most of it is garbage, just an attempt to reach more than one crowd instead of actually making a decent written song. I've never tried out jazz, but I'd like to. Idk how much this is blues, but I like Stevie Ray Vaughn a lot as well. I try and listen to everything and give it a shot, except screamo heavy stuff. That is awful.

Blues is pretty much just four chords. You can play it with a full rock and roll band behind you, like Stevie Ray Vaughn did, or you can play it with just you and a guitar [1]. I think what I love about it is that everyone is working in such a narrow circumscribed idiom, so it's all about arrangement and performance. Totally different animal than the singer-songwriter stuff.

As far as narrow idioms go, I liked hip-hop until it got fat and happy and the politics went out of it. I got sick of hearing about how great these guys' cars are and how much PT they bang in about 1996.

[1] (Check out the late great Son House sometime, which I think is the greatest solo drinking music in the world.)

Not kidding. I was listening to Louie Armstrong last night to fall asleep.

Blues is pretty much just four chords. You can play it with a full rock and roll band behind you, like Stevie Ray Vaughn did, or you can play it with just you and a guitar [1]. I think what I love about it is that everyone is working in such a narrow circumscribed idiom, so it's all about arrangement and performance. Totally different animal than the singer-songwriter stuff.

As far as narrow idioms go, I liked hip-hop until it got fat and happy and the politics went out of it. I got sick of hearing about how great these guys' cars are and how much PT they bang in about 1996.

[1] (Check out the late great Son House sometime, which I think is the greatest solo drinking music in the world.)

I'll check him out. The only Blues I've ever done is people like BB King, Armstrong, Muddy Waters... just the most popular ones. Verc, you listen to Joe Bonomassa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back