Izod Indy series

I think the whole Indy/champ car split was really bad for the sport.

It was devastating to be sure, but during the split each series got much better ratings than they do now that the series is unified. Viewership has done nothing but go down since reunification, and it's from both sides. Meanwhile, new fans are sparse. I'm one of not many people who got into AOWR after the split. I started out watching Champ Car because it was like F1 which I was already into. Now having been involved for a couple of years, I think if the split had been done professionally and amicably, that AOWR would have been much better off regardless.

CART was getting badly into a have and have not situation and dominated by the karting league as opposed to the Sprint car league that it grew out of.

In the heyday, you had household names of Unser (dad and Jr) and Andretti along with Mears, Rahal, etc.

The split was painful and it damaged both the Indy 500 and the 2 new leagues. From there you had a downward spiral of less viewership leading to less sponsorship leading to less viewship.

At the same time, NASCAR was in a massive growth phase. Before NASCAR blew up, we had a pretty active race ecosystem with CART, IMSA and NASCAR. Now it's just NASCAR (which is like reality TV) and the also rans of Indycar and Grand Am.

Indycar has the goods but they have to regain the traction they had - unfortunately I think as NASCAR falls in popularity so too will overall interest in autoracing (in this country) just like it has in tennis and boxing.

We've become a nation of "extreme sports" and reality TV drama.

Because the cars aren't something you can drive on the street, and the drivers aren't like people's cousins. IndyCars don't relate to the average American.

OT, I know RHR is the only American winning races lately, I wish he'd rep California instead of America.

None of this really mattered 20 years ago though. 3 of te first 5 Indy 500 winners were foreign. Granted, 21 to 65 the race was won by an American as well as 67 to 88. From 89 to now, an American has won just 5-6 times. The race and series were just as popular during 89 to 95 span and previously to that.

The issue now seems to be the godawful TV contract. Or at least the main issue. Nobody knows where or when to find the race because they don't race every Sunday for 30 something weeks. And when they do race on Sunday it's up against NASCAR. Any momentum built up is lost from week to week when they're off.

My girlfriend went to her first IndyCar race at the 500. She was hooked after watching Brazil. The thing she points out all the time is how much better looking all the drivers are. Her word is gorgeous. I think they need to use that to their advantage to reach the female fan base.

The movie Turbo is going to be fantastic advertising for the series. They have an incredible opportunity to reach kids. Hopefully they can capitalize on tat too.

Ultimately, racing as a whole needs to reduce the cost of going. Slash tickets prices, offer cheap packages, do whatever it takes. The money needs to come out of the track owners and promoters pocket and back into the fans.

Reactions: 1 person
None of this really mattered 20 years ago though. 3 of te first 5 Indy 500 winners were foreign. Granted, 21 to 65 the race was won by an American as well as 67 to 88. From 89 to now, an American has won just 5-6 times. The race and series were just as popular during 89 to 95 span and previously to that.

The issue now seems to be the godawful TV contract. Or at least the main issue. Nobody knows where or when to find the race because they don't race every Sunday for 30 something weeks. And when they do race on Sunday it's up against NASCAR. Any momentum built up is lost from week to week when they're off.

My girlfriend went to her first IndyCar race at the 500. She was hooked after watching Brazil. The thing she points out all the time is how much better looking all the drivers are. Her word is gorgeous. I think they need to use that to their advantage to reach the female fan base.

The movie Turbo is going to be fantastic advertising for the series. They have an incredible opportunity to reach kids. Hopefully they can capitalize on tat too.

Ultimately, racing as a whole needs to reduce the cost of going. Slash tickets prices, offer cheap packages, do whatever it takes. The money needs to come out of the track owners and promoters pocket and back into the fans.
I'd argue that America is fundamentally different socially than it was 20, or even 10 years ago.

I think they were looking at actually having to shut it down for a few races due to a lack of sponsors.

I think this is part of the reason why they have lost some of their viewership is because you never know if some of the driver, even big name drivers, are going to be able to compete the full season. Sad really.

Oh. One race he was leading the points. The next race he wasn't. I figured he fell off the earth, or in this case, the track.

It has been an up and down season for sure. I do think AJ Foyt racing has to be happy though. They were in contention for at least 3 races this year and took home a win. Their last win before that was over 10 years ago. The team has done a great job and hopefully they will rebound in the upcoming races!

Such a subtle trophy:

BOVwxPVCQAAyY-0.jpg

VN Store

Back