Vol uniform/helmet design discussion (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, just about the only thing I don't like is the black outline on the white jerseys.

And it'd be freaking awesome if both UT and Bama wore their dark jerseys.

UT wore orange every game both home and away until 1971. Bear Bryant used his influence to create a new conference rule that one team had to wear white. That is because he was tired of getting slammed by the Vols. The last game both teams wore their home jerseys was 1970 when we beat them 24-0 and it was not that close.

UT wore orange every game both home and away until 1971. Bear Bryant used his influence to create a new conference rule that one team had to wear white. That is because he was tired of getting slammed by the Vols. The last game both teams wore their home jerseys was 1970 when we beat them 24-0 and it was not that close.

ummmm no, it was because TVs were still mainly in black and white, so if two teams wore colored jerseys, it would be difficult for people to know who was on which team.

Last edited:

Not even close to being true.

And how many national championships do they have? Teams that has no championship history tend to pull out stuff like this. Lets see how many NC's they win in the next 4 years with these uniforms.

Ok...Let's Play Your Game...

Michigan - 11 National Championships:

michigan_football_uniforms.jpg

Notre Dame - 13 National Championships:
National Title Game 2013

notre_dame_football_uniforms.jpg

Nebraska - 5 National Championships:

nebraska_football_uniforms.jpg

Georgia Tech - 4 National Championships:

georgia_tech_football_uniform.jpg

Oregon - Pac-12 Champs 3 of the last 4 years.
National Title Game 2011:

oregon_football_uniforms.jpg

Wisconsin - Big Ten Champs last 3 years:

wisconsin_football_uniforms.jpg

Do we really think that our tradition is too great to modernize our uniforms, or at least wear alternates? 1 National Title since 1950?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
The guy above me is dead on. Would've quoted but it would take up the whole screen... lol

Don't forget The U. They have used different unis..

So has Fla.

And LSU

And FSU

And Ohio State

Lets stop pretending that only scrubs use alternate uniforms...

Reactions: 2 people
We've worn an alternate jersey twice in the last 10 years, what more do you people want?

in b4 Downey Jr. "What do you mean 'you people'"

Yeah, just about the only thing I don't like is the black outline on the white jerseys.

And it'd be freaking awesome if both UT and Bama wore their dark jerseys.

We may see Bam-UT with both home jerseys soon. The NCAA changed the rules. Remember NC ST? I`d love to DO AWAY WITH BLACK ON OUR RD JERSEYS!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

We may see Bam-UT with both home jerseys soon. The NCAA changed the rules. Remember NC ST? I`d love to DO AWAY WITH BLACK ON OUR RD JERSEYS!

this always comes up but it's legitimately just so the numbers are easier to see. It's something to just deal with.

The guy above me is dead on. Would've quoted but it would take up the whole screen... lol

So has Fla.

And LSU

And FSU

And Ohio State

And Bammer wore Nike Combats too! We HAVE to have a couple alternates a year and a little modernization. Go Vols!

And Bammer wore Nike Combats too! We HAVE to have a couple alternates a year and a little modernization. Go Vols!

Hey folks, I just got an idea for a new uniform that would look better, and satisfy the traditionalists. Imagine Tennessee coming onto the field with uniforms that look like the new york jets classic uniforms, but of course, with orange in place of green. It gives the Vols a new look (at least for the Vols), and it would be a classy upgrade everyone could embrace.

So has Fla.

And LSU

And FSU

And Ohio State

I don't think many are arguing against one or so alternate uniforms, at least I'm not. I'm arguing against those saying our look needs to be totally "updated" and we need to pull an Oregon and have a different uniform every game.

This is has been said about a million times already but Alabama's "alternates" were barely different than their normal ones.

I see what you're saying and I think Bama should always wear their Crimson jerseys and UT should always wear Orange jerseys.

Personally, I don't like the black outline on the white jerseys. There isn't black anywhere else on the uni to tie it together. But it's been on there since the 1994 South Carolina game and probably isn't going away.

I think you could get the number to stand out by using a shade of grey which wouldn't stand out on it's own but make the orange numbers readable...which is why the black was added.

I think the black makes the orange pop....the all orange numbers are just kind of obnoxious and ugly

I think the black makes the orange pop....the all orange numbers are just kind of obnoxious and ugly

Orange....ugly? No way! :)

I wasn't a fan of it back in 94 but I admit it easier to see the numbers. Back in 87 UT used grey as an outline on their home Jerseys for a couple of games. I don't recall if they did it for the away as well.

Orange....ugly? No way! :)

I wasn't a fan of it back in 94 but I admit it easier to see the numbers. Back in 87 UT used grey as an outline on their home Jerseys for a couple of games. I don't recall if they did it for the away as well.

Well as I've said before I'm in favor of black jerseys so I might be a little biased....not every game cuz I like our standard uniform but a black jersey maybe every 2 or 3 years and and an orange and white alternative once a year...im not saying sell out and become Oregon but do something like aTm.....tradition isn't just uniforms....its about the way that we go about our business before, during, and after the games....wearing a different uniform every once in a while won't change any of that....btw that wasn't really directed at you, my thoughts just kinda lead there lol

Oh. My. God. The majority of the people in this thread are beyond idiotic. Uniforms have absolutely no- let me say it again, NO- impact on winning or losing. That is either superstitious or unproven banter.

Now on to the "tradition" part of this discussion. You strictly traditionalists in this thread are flapping around in circles like a duck with a broken wing; you have brought zero facts to the argument, the guy for new uniforms is beating your asses like Ali. Tradition is decided by the boys that wear our colors on Saturdays down on the field, not by boosters. The people you keep basing your argument on used to just be boys on the field too. And just so you know a lot of these greats would love a little change in the uniforms as well. I know I have seen Leonard Little and others comment that they wished they could have had some small uniform changes from time to time.

No one is calling for complete overhaul. But if the boys on the field want something a little different- only within reason- we should allow and embrace that. They may only be at the school for 3-4 years but ten years from now they will be a part of our tradition too.

Now, you sticks in the mud with sticks up your asses need to get over yourselves and allow the tradition of our school to continue to progress.

Oh. My. God. The majority of the people in this thread are beyond idiotic. Uniforms have absolutely no- let me say it again, NO- impact on winning or losing. That is either superstitious or unproven banter.

Now on to the "tradition" part of this discussion. You strictly traditionalists in this thread are flapping around in circles like a duck with a broken wing; you have brought zero facts to the argument, the guy for new uniforms is beating your asses like Ali. Tradition is decided by the boys that wear our colors on Saturdays down on the field, not by boosters. The people you keep basing your argument on used to just be boys on the field too. And just so you know a lot of these greats would love a little change in the uniforms as well. I know I have seen Leonard Little and others comment that they wished they could have had some small uniform changes from time to time.

No one is calling for complete overhaul. But if the boys on the field want something a little different- only within reason- we should allow and embrace that. They may only be at the school for 3-4 years but ten years from now they will be a part of our tradition too.

Now, you sticks in the mud with sticks up your asses need to get over yourselves and allow the tradition of our school to continue to progress.

Other than the abomination of the black jerseys a few years ago, when have players ever had any say in what was worn on the field? You make it sound like it's some sort of long running democracy where our uniforms are chosen by the players, and to my knowledge, they have never really had any say.

Other than the abomination of the black jerseys a few years ago, when have players ever had any say in what was worn on the field? You make it sound like it's some sort of long running democracy where our uniforms are chosen by the players, and to my knowledge, they have never really had any say.

Exactly, my point is that they want it. And if the players that determine our tradition, that are our tradition, want some alts then there should be nothing in the way of them getting it. Especially us fans.

Exactly, my point is that they want it. And if the players that determine our tradition, that are our tradition, want some alts then there should be nothing in the way of them getting it. Especially us fans.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. The players should just feel fortunate to be part of such a storied tradition, not try and rewrite parts of it altogether. Just my two cents.

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
Post #12,000. This thread has lasted 6 years, but it looks like it's finally closing time. Here's hoping that 6 years from now we still haven't been subjected to any more uniforms like the embarrassments we wore against USC in '09.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back