Has a Recruit ever "Shocked the Nation" and Picked TN?

byobbio

I hate instant replay.
I was just wondering. I remember maybe when Chuck Webb signed that Michigan State thought he was all theirs but other than that can't remember when somebody out of the blue picked TN. There's been a few that were out of nowhere but not top level talent. Does anybody remember?

Reactions: 1 person
I am not sure that he "shocked" anyone, but Robert Meachem was a bit of a surprise. For some reason, I recall Aaron Sears being an interesting announcement as well.

do we really want someone that is predicted to go to michigan and tweets shock the world and then pick that school. to me it was all about the attention. IMO i say i am glad that type of person did not come here

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Everyone knew about Janzen. But, true, Brice Brown was kinda a shock even though he visited like 5 times. I think he shocked the world when he made the Eagles squad.

Reactions: 1 person
do we really want someone that is predicted to go to michigan and twwets shock the world and then pick that school. to me it was all about the attention. IMO i say i am glad that type of person did not come here

I think you might be in the minority on this issue.

do we really want someone that is predicted to go to michigan and twwets shock the world and then pick that school. to me it was all about the attention. IMO i say i am glad that type of person did not come here

Yeah, me too. 5* RBs are a dime a dozen anyways...:ermm:

Reactions: 4 people
Derric Evans-1988

"As he signed the letter of intent to The University of Tennessee, the Dallas Carter All American relaxed in a hot tub all blinged out, while he enjoyed a glass of wine. If this didn't raise red flags, perhaps the 20 year prison sentence that soon followed did. Evans along with several other Carter players were tried and plead guilty to armed robbery of multiple movie rental and fast food joints in the Dallas area."

Not sure if many remember this. This was C.L.A.S.S.I.C.!!!!! Just imagine a kid like this having access to tweeter back then.

On the flip side, I remember being pretty damn pumped about James Banks. Ironically that didn't work out either.

Man, you go back a ways, like me. I remember that like it was yesterday. It was not that simple. He and some other misfits decided to go and rob video stores, i think it was. They didn't shoot anybody but i think 20 years for being an idiot is appropriate. I was really pumped when he signed. But, of course, disappointed when he and all those others got caught on their crime spree. Threw away a certain great life because of peer pressure and being an idiot.
That was back in the day when the real UT could go into Tx and pick who we wanted. Well, to a point.

Man, you go back a ways, like me. I remember that like it was yesterday. It was not that simple. He and some other misfits decided to go and rob video stores, i think it was. They didn't shoot anybody but i think 20 years for being an idiot is appropriate. I was really pumped when he signed. But, of course, disappointed when he and all those others got caught on their crime spree. Threw away a certain great life because of peer pressure and being an idiot.
That was back in the day when the real UT could go into Tx and pick who we wanted. Well, to a point.

Many argued Evans was better than teammate Jessie Armstead who was a straight up stud at Miami and NY Giants.

VN Store

Back