Manning's Playoff Teams

@Espngreeny: RT “@ESPNStatsInfo: Peyton Manning lost his 1st start of a postseason for 8th time. No other QB in Super Bowl Era has more than 4x.”

Sure - but how many QBs in the Super Bowl Era have been in a post season more than 4x? Any team Peyton is on is taken as a given that they will be in post season.

Sure - but how many QBs in the Super Bowl Era have been in a post season more than 4x? Any team Peyton is on is taken as a given that they will be in post season.

So logic would say, that he would be successful more times than not

Very funny how people said at Indy he ran the offense and was the coach, but at Denver it's different? Don't buy that one minute. For all we know he is the one who decided to take the knee.

Huh, what are you talking about. A knee with 30 seconds to go in the game deep in your own territory was not what I was referring to. I was referring to running the ball on 3rd and 7 instead of throwing it. That play call was surrendering the game to the D which had been burned several times already.

Would have preferred to let Peyton win the game instead of the D.

Huh, what are you talking about. A knee with 30 seconds to go in the game deep in your own territory was not what I was referring to. I was referring to running the ball on 3rd and 7 instead of throwing it. That play call was surrendering the game to the D which had been burned several times already.

Would have preferred to let Peyton win the game instead of the D.

Gotcha. But every offensive playcall is on Peyton. He is the great wizard and knows everything. Aye-yie-yie

I put all the offensive mistakes in Peyton. You said it exactly: he checked down. He runs the offense there and he decides what runs and passes. Quit acting like the one play the defense gave up cost them the game.

Manning had three TDs and those three turnovers. Let's take a closer look at those TOs.
1. Hit the receiver in his hands and bounced to hands of defender. Not QB error.
2. Fumble during passing motion while trying to protect the ball from bull rush. Not QB error.
3. Bad pass. QB error.
Reasoned reflection - QB made one mistake in the turnovers.

Peyton Manning is the biggest choke artist in football history. You just know peyton will throw a game losing pick almost in any important game. He is not winning another title.
Wow, hard to believe you are going to pin this one on Peyton. First pick 6 hit the receiver in the hands and the DB pulled his arm down before the ball got there. Can't pin that one on Peyton. Pretty sure Peyton wasn't playing DB on the long TD passes the Broncos gave up. Especially the ridiculously poorly played last TD of regulation.

Yes he threw a pic in 2nd OT that was all on him, but it is ridiculous to say he choked.

If the ball is tipped no PI can happen
The ball was not tipped at the line, he should have said the ball bounced off the hands of the receiver. That was the tip. The DB pulled his arm down before the ball arrived and should have been pass interference. But, it happened very quickly and is difficult for the ref to see.

The point of this one is, it wasn't Peyton's fault (i.e., not a bad throw or decision).

Manning had three TDs and those three turnovers. Let's take a closer look at those TOs.
1. Hit the receiver in his hands and bounced to hands of defender. Not QB error.
2. Fumble during passing motion while trying to protect the ball from bull rush. Not QB error.
3. Bad pass. QB error.
Reasoned reflection - QB made one mistake in the turnovers.

He fumbled the ball. That was cause by an action of Peyton's. and the excuses continue to happen

Wow, hard to believe you are going to pin this one on Peyton. First pick 6 hit the receiver in the hands and the DB pulled his arm down before the ball got there. Can't pin that one on Peyton. Pretty sure Peyton wasn't playing DB on the long TD passes the Broncos gave up. Especially the ridiculously poorly played last TD of regulation.

Yes he threw a pic in 2nd OT that was all on him, but it is ridiculous to say he choked.

He had a chance to drive down the field and win. I'd say he choked. This is just like all his other playoff losses

He had a chance to drive down the field and win. I'd say he choked. This is just like all his other playoff losses
Okay, if that is your definition of a choke I'll accept that. We have completely different definitions of a choke.

It never ceases to amaze me how some put all the win and losses on one player. Football is a team sport and very rarely does one player lose a game. If the Denver secondary had decided to show up and play, the game would have never been in doubt. But somehow, that is all Peyton's fault.

Just admit you hate Peyton.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
That's just it though. If Peyton wanted to try for a FG in the last minute he would have. I don't blame fox for the decision because Peyton could have easily changed it. Who you think Elway is gonna back?

I think PM was ok with taking a knee at the end, for whatever reason I don't understand. I will defer to his understanding of football above mine but the way the game had gone I would think he wouldn't have wanted the outcome to be based on their defense.

Okay, if that is your definition of a choke I'll accept that. We have completely different definitions of a choke.

It never ceases to amaze me how some put all the win and losses on one player. Football is a team sport and very rarely does one player lose a game. If the Denver secondary had decided to show up and play, the game would have never been in doubt. But somehow, that is all Peyton's fault.

It's not necessarily hate, it could also be not letting Manning have it both ways.

Look if you're going to be the face of franchises and in most ways the face of QBs in the NFL, and star in commercials, etc. then you're going to be judged more harshly. That's just how it is. QBs have been judged on how they do in the postseason for decades now, so let's stop acting like Manning is being singled out. Why is Tony Romo bashed so much? Why do people say Matt Ryan is still unproven? Simple, they've not done anything in the playoffs yet. If in 5 years Andrew Luck and/or RG3 haven't won a playoff game, the heat will be on them too.

The fact is Manning has been an outstanding regular season QB, maybe the best ever. But he's been overall an average postseason QB. Are the 8 1-and-done appearances all his fault? Of course not, in the same way the 2006 Super Bowl wasn't all his doing either (in fact he that postseason he wasn't that great). But when you're the huge superstar, making the enormous paycheck, you get a lot more of the responsibility.

This one should fall on John Fox for playing so conservative down the stretch in the 4th quarter. You have freaking Peyton Manning at the helm and you decide to put your defense back on the field rather than let Peyton do what he's paid to do? Wow.

John Fox pulled a Derek Dooley with 30 seconds left and 2 timeouts.

I don't hate anyone. I don't think that is right. I am one who isn't gooey eyed and in love with Peyton. It's amazing how much credit is given to a player when he wins, but millions of excuses are given when he loses. I just don't buy into all the hype.

Well since you are from Ca you need to look at your boy Moore from UCLA that gave up a 70 yard bomb with 40 secs left in the game first. PM can't play both offense and defense. Rich Gannon said worst angle play by safety he has ever seen. Of course UGA boy Bailey was burned several times I think as well.

I agree completely. My post reflected that the D and Peyton did things poorly that they simply did not do in the regular season. Unfortunately, this has become a consistent theme with Peyton's playoff teams. He certainly did enough to win in regulation, but the D (and Fox) let them down. That said, the OT INT was really bad. Any honest VFL can see that and for whatever reason, PM has way too many of those types of plays in the post-season.

I hate it for him because he deserves more and is THE ambassador for UT fooftball. I just wish he could get 1 more ring before its all over. I fear this team may have been his best, last shot.

I love Peyton but he chose Denver's Defense and John Elway proganda over San Francisco's Defense..... Bad Move!!!!

I love Peyton. but in the playoffs he , hate to use the word if i was talking about anybody else i would use the word choke, but yesterday day there was some bad coaching 3rd and 7 you put the ball in Peyton hands get the first down game over thats easy to say after the fact, how in the world 37 seconds you let a man get behind the DEFENCE.

Simple and easy answer here. The entire Broncos team, choked at one point or another, and blew the game.

- John Fox not giving Peyton a chance to put the game out of reach is beyond me. I understand the reasoning with the D they have, but in the playoffs especially, you play to win.

- The play at the end of regulation was a total high school mistake and choke on the Safety. One of, if not THE MOST pitiful play I have ever seen by an NFL professional.

- Then once again, John Fox, with 30 seconds and TWO TIMEOUTS, doesn't even give PEYTON MANNING a chance to go get 40 yards for a GW Field Goal try? Mind boggling, Dooley-esque.

- Then plain and simple in overtime Peyton choked and made a HORRIBLE decision that Peyton literally never makes. That was his first INT on the year when outside of the pocket.

Denver choked. The Ravens capitalized on it. Good for Ray Lewis. I'm pulling for him the rest of the playoffs.

If you reflect back to the Colts only SuperBowl win this century ask yourself why did it happen? Answer - Bob Sanders. He was a DB ball hawk, could cover nearly anyone and was the defensive QB, plus an inspirational leader.

He came back from an injury just in time for the playoffs and the Colts defense was never the same.

If I'm the GM at Denver, I spend several of my draft picks (and/or free agency) on DBs and perhaps a backup to Moreno.

Manning has rarely had a consistent, lock down defense (even at UT). Unfortunately, the pressure has generally rested on his shoulders. This type of pressure can cause you to do too many things and over-think way too much and too often.

Reactions: 2 people
Simple and easy answer here. The entire Broncos team, choked at one point or another, and blew the game.

- John Fox not giving Peyton a chance to put the game out of reach is beyond me. I understand the reasoning with the D they have, but in the playoffs especially, you play to win.

- The play at the end of regulation was a total high school mistake and choke on the Safety. One of, if not THE MOST pitiful play I have ever seen by an NFL professional.

- Then once again, John Fox, with 30 seconds and TWO TIMEOUTS, doesn't even give PEYTON MANNING a chance to go get 40 yards for a GW Field Goal try? Mind boggling, Dooley-esque.

- Then plain and simple in overtime Peyton choked and made a HORRIBLE decision that Peyton literally never makes. That was his first INT on the year when outside of the pocket.

Denver choked. The Ravens capitalized on it. Good for Ray Lewis. I'm pulling for him the rest of the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure if Peyton wanted to pass on that 3rd and 7 or try to get a FG at the end of regulation, he would. People acting like Fox is to blame is ridiculous. Yall are acting like if pm changed it from a kneel down to a pass play, Fox would bench him. Elway paid PM that much to run the offense like he did in Indy. To say he isn't doing the same on Denver is stupid. I'm sure Peyton is just as much to blame on those two instances as Fox is

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
You have Peyton manning at the helm and he blew the game. He committed the number one sin at the QB position: never throw across your body. He lost the game.

WRONG....the game should never have gotten that far....Peyton LED the Broncos to the potential Game winning TD late in the 4th quarter...only to have the coach realize he had no balls and not try to get the first down....then for a safety in the freakin NFL not get deeper than the deepest receiver in a prevent defense....that was inexcusable....then with 2timeouts left and 30sec to get into field goal range they kneel down....then in the overtime former Vol Colquitt pins the Ravens down inside their 5yd line...only for the defense to let the Ravens, on 3rd down none the less, to get a long pass down the field and virtually rev field advantage....BUT ALL ANYONE WILL TALK ABOUT AND BLAME IS PEYTON THROWING THE INT....his first Int is on Decker, hit him in both his hands, and the fumble, apparently on pretty boy Brady gets to have the TUCK RULE applied....

VN Store

Back