The Alabama Postgame Report

That doesn't even make sense. What argument am I trying to strengthen?

To answer your question, no I don't think he should be playing. Making repeated sophomoric twists on his name just seems very 12-year old-ish.

12? You're giving too much leeway.

That doesn't even make sense. What argument am I trying to strengthen?

To answer your question, no I don't think he should be playing. Making repeated sophomoric twists on his name just seems very 12-year old-ish.

I could say "whatever"...

I could say "come on man".....

I could say "what is your problem".....

Apparently we agree, but yet I can't make sophomoric posts on a chat board? Could you please explain to me the appropriate code of chat board posting journalism ethics that I should comply with????

Or is that you think it inappropriate to goof/crack on the "stately walls of old UT' or its athletes???

Well no sh*t, Sherlock. The loss to Oakland was bad too. Martin was in his first year and still implementing his system. Once he got Stokes things got better in the SEC season.

This team misses Maymon and a guard who can help Golden out. Right now they have neither and won't until next year hopefully. They also get Hubbs so we'll see what he can do.

Right now this team is like a lot of us thought they would be last year. However, ending every sentence with multiple exclamation points won't change that or the team's fortunes.

and the former head coach of the vols took a sorry bunch of rag-o-muffins to a 22 and 8 record and finished first in the SEC East and won a game in the AA tourney. Apparently CBP was able to implement his system in his first year!

Sad, but True.
Did my ranting last week.
In acceptance mode now.

I think maybe the reason why I'm calmer about the recent suckage is that I started the season in acceptance mode. I'm old enough that 'normal' for me is Memphis playing for championships in hoops and the Vols playing with heart-- and the opposite in football. I'm too busy being pissed off at Pearl for getting our hopes up then being a moron to think we should expect to make the NCAA tournament. The NIT, okay...

Basically, Pearl's rep gave us recruiting power we'd never had before. Losing the idiot was more than just a mere step back, and I'm pleased we didn't go back to 'hey, they're better than Chattanooga' status....

and the former head coach of the vols took a sorry bunch of rag-o-muffins to a 22 and 8 record and finished first in the SEC East and won a game in the AA tourney. Apparently CBP was able to implement his system in his first year!

Pearl did great in his first year. However, why are you comparing Martin to Pearl? Pearl had years of experience and success than Martin ever has. I'll never deny that. Why you want to keep bringing Pearl into this is ludicrous unless you want to talk about the two players he had signed didn't even come to UT and Jones couldn't qualify academically anyway.

Pearl also had Lofton, Watson (a NBA player) and Smith who this team would kill for. Pearl also left Martin a gutted roster last year. You can thank Pearl for that too.

Pearl did great in his first year. However, why are you comparing Martin to Pearl? Pearl had years of experience and success than Martin ever has. I'll never deny that. Why you want to keep bringing Pearl into this is ludicrous unless you want to talk about the two players he had signed didn't even come to UT and Jones couldn't qualify academically anyway.

Pearl also had Lofton, Watson (a NBA player) and Smith who this team would kill for. Pearl also left Martin a gutted roster last year. You can thank Pearl for that too.

Gutted rosters don't win twenty games with an inexperienced coach. Sorry, but, that won't wash.

So Peterson is the one to thank for CBP's instant success, despite the fact that CBP had a 100% completely diff system than ole' Buzz?

Gutted rosters don't win twenty games with an inexperienced coach. Sorry, but, that won't wash.

So, you look at that roster and tell me you predicted a 19-15 finish with a 2nd place SEC finish? Right. Did you cash out in Vegas while you were ahead? I'm sure you predicted Stokes falling into our laps too.

So Peterson is the one to thank for CBP's instant success, despite the fact that CBP had a 100% completely diff system than ole' Buzz?

Just to play devil's advocate, I always thought Buzz's problems were that, while he was better than you'd expect at recruiting, he wasn't good at player development or sideline inspiration, and his system was weak. In that situation, a guy with Pearl's system, charisma, and brains could do really well right out of the gate

I could say "whatever"...

I could say "come on man".....

I could say "what is your problem".....

Apparently we agree, but yet I can't make sophomoric posts on a chat board? Could you please explain to me the appropriate code of chat board posting journalism ethics that I should comply with????

Or is that you think it inappropriate to goof/crack on the "stately walls of old UT' or its athletes???

It's not that I think it's inappropriate. I think it's childish and despite the relative depth of your actual thoughts, comments of that ilk detract from any intelligent points you may have.

Carry on though.

No, but we can thank Peterson for Lofton and Watson. Lofton saved Pearl's ass on more than one occasion. Pearl was a good coach, but to think he would've done much better than what we did last year is ludicrous. We finished 2nd in the SEC. I doubt Pearl was going to finish much higher.

I'll never argue that Martin is a better coach than Pearl. However, to try and compare the two is baffling and just plain stupid. Pearl made his own bed and got fired over it. Time to get over it.

Yes, Buzz couldn't coach. Look, Pearl did great his first year but Pearl had two things that CCM does not- a competent PG and a sharpshooter. Those are huge in college.

This comparison with Pearl is just stupid. Different situations. Love how people come out in force after we lose games.

So, you look at that roster and tell me you predicted a 19-15 finish with a 2nd place SEC finish? Right. Did you cash out in Vegas while you were ahead? I'm sure you predicted Stokes falling into our laps too.

Actually I did predict a 20 win season. The thread is bumped and on page one.

So why hire a HC without much experience??? Weren't you guys singing the praises of CCM when he was hired?

And to throw a question at VolGee, why the heck isn't CCM going and getting a PG??? or a shooter?

His answer to the Vols shooting woes is that "shooters will make shots", "shooters will miss shots", "shots will fall or they won't" and we are getting good looks.....

Actually I did predict a 20 win season. The thread is bumped and on page one.

Did you go to Vegas too? Because only people in the minority picked that. There was a reason UT was predicted to finish 11th out of 12 teams. They lost every significant contributor from the prior season. Only Golden had played appreciative minutes.

Which means Martin deserves some credit for last year's finish. Just like he deserves some criticism this year. Injuries have hurt him and the team this year though. He has no excuses next year unless we have a rash of injuries to key players.

So why hire a HC without much experience??? Weren't you guys singing the praises of CCM when he was hired?
And to throw a question at VolGee, why the heck isn't CCM going and getting a PG??? or a shooter?

His answer to the Vols shooting woes is that "shooters will make shots", "shooters will miss shots", "shots will fall or they won't" and we are getting good looks.....

Do you really have to ask that question? Do you not realize who was leading the hire and that UT was under a NCAA investigation at the time?

And I don't know who was singing the praises of Martin. I wasn't, but I was willing to at least give him a few years before saying he isn't what we need. He gets at least next year. If he doesn't make the NCAA tourney with that roster then he should be fired.

I didn't know much about him when he was hired. Unfortunately, you are now just throwing out generalities, which doesn't work.

I have been on record on saying that Martin's PG recruiting has been bad. However that has nothing to do with comparing him to Pearl. He didn't have a chance to get one before his first year. Pearl inherited an NBA PG and a fantasic shooter; CCM did not. We lost 70% of our scoring after Pearl, and our 4 star players barely played under Pearl. Martin actually coached well last year even though we did lose some bad games. He is actually ahead of last year'screcord at this point. I have been frustrated, but he isn't going to be fired soon. So it is time to be patient and let it play our.

I'll say it again...only a fool believes Martin was our first choice, or our fourth choice for that matter. We just didn't have an ideal situation to sell to coaches.

Did you go to Vegas too? Because only people in the minority picked that. There was a reason UT was predicted to finish 11th out of 12 teams. They lost every significant contributor from the prior season. Only Golden had played appreciative minutes.

Which means Martin deserves some credit for last year's finish. Just like he deserves some criticism this year. Injuries have hurt him and the team this year though. He has no excuses next year unless we have a rash of injuries to key players.

Last year CCM had a starting lineup with 5 4*'s to start the season. First time in Tennessee's history with that highly ranked starting five.

I was inclined early on to find fault with his coaching, but , with so many screaming "give him a chance" I did and pulled for him.
The hand writing is on the wall. I wonder if Maymon even returns next year. He has been limping for six months or more and for that to happen there has to be some major necrosis in the knee.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back