Recruiting Forum: Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hindsight I have no clue why we landed Dooley. He had proven 0. For him it was simply ties to Saban. With Jones it has almost 0 to do with past ties and all to do with winning. Hart still botched this search but he landed on a good coach. He may not win a NC but he damn sure can field a quality FB team. I'll take that right now.

There's clearly a silver lining in hiring his previous assistants.

How many years has it been since UT retained all but one or two assistants in any given year? Journalists are constantly making it a point to spotlight the grief our players have gone through with having to learn new systems, having to adjust to new coaching styles and personalities. I believe a huge issue for why our team didn't thrive this year despite how talented we seemed coming in was that coaching really does matter. Programs that show significant progress under a new coach after 3 years usually don't have near as much attrition as Dooley's staff, or Fulmer's later staffs as well. I think Jones is stabilizing our program and bringing back the family atmosphere that was our brand and that nobody could replicate in the SEC. Sure, Fulmer recruited well thanks to great facilities and great fan support, but his greatest attribute was that he was the patriarch of the Tennessee Volunteer family, and that's why his players fought vocally and publicly against his firing. Not because he was the greatest football coach we could have, but because it's not right to break up someone's family.

Sorry for long post. Also, I supported Fulmer's firing. Just thought greener pastures were nearer...

Reactions: 2 people
Na I mean you can get a good meal at Golden Corral and even leave happy sometimes... But its sure as ish not the best steakhouse in America. Making bold statements like that and that UT was his dream job could haunt Coach BJ in the future.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

What you think is the best staff in America as a fan are known names that you are familiar with rather NFL or College. To CBJ, its having been in the coaching ranks for years and having worked with the good and the bad. Its working with those who he has won with in different conferences and has gone to 5 of 6 Bowls with. In fact, if here were still in Cincy we would be watching him play while our team sits at home.

It's easy for the uninformed fan to knock Jones and his crew. Do some research however and the case starts falling apart. I'm not saying we got some sleeping giant or the next Saban but we got a damned quality FB coach and winner. It's a good start. He's left every program he left a conference champion. I'm good with those odds.

I agree with this statement, and think he could be a good coach... But this staff is nowhere close to the best in America. In truth, the only upgrades I see so far over last year are at HC and DC. The rest are all a wash and even a downgrade at OL.

Reactions: 1 person
In order to be successful everyone needs to be on same page. the players need to buy in as soon as possible. However in order for that to happen you need to coaches to buy in first and all be in the same page with one goal. This is why he is bringing a lot of cincy guys and guys connected to them to hit the ground running and immediately go after the players instead of worrying about selling a bunch if coaches. Again this was a huge issue under Dooley. There were too many voices causing divide.

I agree with this statement, and think he could be a good coach... But this staff is nowhere close to the best in America. In truth, the only upgrades I see so far over last year are at HC and DC. The rest are all a wash and even a downgrade at OL.

You guys do realize its coach speak? Every coach in Americas thinks their staff is best in country

Reactions: 2 people
One thing I'm excited about is scrapping the failure that was the 3-4 and going back to the 4-3. I know our D wasn't the most talented, but they are better than what Sal coached them to be... IMO.

Greg Bryant has committed to ND on his visit. Thats freakin' GREAT news! Get that kid outta the SEC.

OC- Mike Bajakian
RB- Jay Graham
OL- Don Mahoney
WR- Tee Martin
TE/ST- Dave Johnson or Mark Elder

DC- John Jancek
DL- Steve Stribling
LB- Kevin Steele or Tyrone Nix
DB- Willie Martinez

Staff update, the italicized names are my guesses. The others are assumed to be hired or are hired. Would be an elite staff.

We'll lets hope Martinez gets down here to Miami to get some real players. There are at least 10 difference makers down here in Miami this year. All her has to do is camp out at Miami Central, Miami Columbus High, Northwestern, Norland and Booker T and get at least 5 of these kids per year from these teams plus some in Tenn, Ga, Al, NC and SC and Vols will be back in no time.

seems easy to say but those Dade schools are UM first and UM second then if FSU has a solid coach with Dade ties then they give them a look. Now factor in Lville w/CCS.

I agree with BB and Jay about WM. I've met WM a few times and if UT wants a solid coach with ties to Ga and C fla he's the guy. Got a bad deal at Ga bc his units didn't live up to the hype so AD/CMR made the change.

OC- Mike Bajakian
RB- Jay Graham
OL- Don Mahoney
WR- Tee Martin

DC- John Jancek
DL- Steve Stribling
DB- Willie Martinez

Staff update, the italicized names are my guesses. The others are assumed to be hired or are hired. Would be an elite staff.

ty for update - kinda surprised he didnt use the 9th asst as a D/ST guy since he is an offensive coach but does look like a pretty good balance of recruiters/coaches and would cover the areas we really need to recruit

BS. We are going from a losing staff to a winning one. I don't care if they have HS coaches good coaching is good coaching. These guys know Butch's system and Butch's system has been infinitely more successful than anything we've seen in 5 years.

OC- Mike Bajakian
RB- Jay Graham
OL- Don Mahoney
WR- Tee Martin

DC- John Jancek
DL- Steve Stribling
DB- Willie Martinez

Good balance IMO between Butch's staff and new recruiting blood. We'll see.

Regarding good vs great staffs all people have to do is look at Heistand. We nearly to a man reviled and despised him. He's now on a NC caliber staff. Did he magically get infinitely better in one year? No he got picked up by a winning coach and team. Most of these veteran coaches are solid when placed in the proper circumstances.

Chavis would be another example. One mans trash is another mans treasure.
Wilcox a third.

Last edited:
OC- Mike Bajakian
RB- Jay Graham
OL- Don Mahoney
WR- Tee Martin

DC- John Jancek
DL- Steve Stribling
DB- Willie Martinez

I'm trying to get caught up on what's going on with staff. Are the italicized names just wild guesses or or have there actually been some reports of these names?

Regarding good vs great staffs all people have to do is look at Heistand. We nearly to a man reviled and despised him. He's now on a NC caliber staff. Did he magically get infinitely better in one year? No he got picked up by a winning coach and team. Most of these veteran coaches are solid when placed in the proper circumstances.

Chavis would be another example. One mans trash is another mans treasure.
Wilcox a third.

Hietstand is a good example of coaching fits. He didnt fit with Chaney and does with Kelley. We had a lot of misfits the last 3 years.

nice landing spot for Hinshaw..will give UK a strong recruiting duo with Stoops in Fla.

Great job by Kentucky and Stoops for getting Hinshaw on board, and getting him that quickly. He will make a huge impact on their recruiting class this year.

Surprised they were able to get him over some of the bigger programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back