Recruiting Forum: Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, he has a track recrod of a winner. In the MAC & Big East, it's just my opinion that his coaching & recruiting ability a long with his staffs won't be successful in the SEC. Really hope I get proved wrong, would love to see us back competing for SEC Titles.

Also, it's refreshing to actually have someone discuss this without spewing the their BS like the rest of this board.

What's wrong with his recruiting? News flash, 4 and 5 stars don't dream of the MAC or Big East. He coached up guys, made them over achieve and sent them to the NFL. I read somewhere that Brian Kelly only landed 1 4 star recruit when at Cincy. He did ok too. It seems to me you're blinded by the fact he's only coached in the MAC and Big East. So what? He won his conference 4/6 times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
He's won yes but I don't think he has the staff that is able to recruit at a high level to compete in the SEC.

I also don't like his offensive philosophy of the spread zone read offense. I've voiced my opinion multiple times that I think to win on a consistent basis in the SEC you have to line up man on man & run the football at people, control the clock, play great defense, & be good in the kicking game.

We've seen it won more than one way, no matter how infrequently. Right now Saban and GA have a pretty good lockdown on the talent fitting your mold. I'm actually relieved we've got a new plan.

Most successful people hate continued negativity. It gets old quick and you have a track record. Maybe it would be a good time to take a VN break.

I got over the hire in a day. Hell whining won't get a thing done. I personally didn't like it but I supported a dumber coach the past three years I can get behind this dude. Hires like Martinez and keeping Graham will help do damage. The recruits haven't been dogging Jones. He was at Cincy which is why he didn't get to prove anything as a recruiter. The coaches just need to develop the players we've got. I would bet money this defense won't be bad. If Vandy can have a top 20 defense with their players I believe we can too with the players we've got. There are holes but a good coordinator will play smoke and mirrors to hide some of them.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree but for now we are going to be at a disadvantage. I believe that can be overcome with 3 options. Good scheme, good coaching, great recruiters.
If his nucleus are good teachers like he discussed and knows and he adds great recruiting he'll be on his way.

I was just saying that Cincy is a basketball school and has had issues with their facilities in recent years. Tennessee has a MASSIVE recruiting budget and facilities that are second to none. He hasn't recruited at the highest level, but he's never had the tools or support in order to recruit at the highest level either. We'll see how good of a recruiter he and his staff is when they have to go head to head with the Richt's and Muschamp's.

He's won yes but I don't think he has the staff that is able to recruit at a high level to compete in the SEC.

I also don't like his offensive philosophy of the spread zone read offense. I've voiced my opinion multiple times that I think to win on a consistent basis in the SEC you have to line up man on man & run the football at people, control the clock, play great defense, & be good in the kicking game.
Not one person can predict how his staff is going to recruit.

Agree, he has a track recrod of a winner. In the MAC & Big East, it's just my opinion that his coaching & recruiting ability a long with his staffs won't be successful in the SEC. Really hope I get proved wrong, would love to see us back competing for SEC Titles.

Also, it's refreshing to actually have someone discuss this without spewing the their BS like the rest of this board.

Whiny or not, I still value what you bring jmoore. I hope you can maintain objectivity in the wake of what CDD put us through.

What's wrong with his recruiting? News flash, 4 and 5 stars don't dream of the MAC or Big East. He coached up guys, made them over achieve and sent them to the NFL. I read somewhere that Brian Kelly only landed 1 4 star recruit when at Cincy. He did ok too. It seems to me you're blinded by the fact he's only coached in the MAC and Big East. So what? He won his conference championship 4/6 times.

He's also gone to a bowl 5 of 6 and he's 1-0 versus Vandy. I've really grown to like the guy.

He's won 4 championships in 6 seasons as a head coach. He's a winner. Why do you not like proven winners? And don't give me the he hasn't been in the SEC line. He's won where he's been. Fact.

If we all can get behind CDD when he was hire not having a winning record, surely we can get behind a guy that has proven that he can win. I'm all in. Come on CBJ finish with a couple great recruiters and coaches and let's get rolling!!!

You don't like the way he runs his spread offense..south carolina, Florida, tamu, and auburn have all proven you can win in the SEC with a spread type offense.

Completely not suprised our the teenager is already calling our new coach and staff garbage 2 days into the job. Good coaches bring a lot of their staff with them wherever they go otherwise they wouldn't be good coaches. It makes for easier transition when everyone is on same page. It's why Dooley no longer has a job

Reactions: 3 people
What's wrong with his recruiting? News flash, 4 and 5 stars don't dream of the MAC or Big East. He coached up guys, made them over achieve and sent them to the NFL. I read somewhere that Brian Kelly only landed 1 4 star recruit when at Cincy. He did ok too. It seems to me you're blinded by the fact he's only coached in the MAC and Big East. So what? He won his conference championship 4/6 times.

My thing with Kelly is he hired very good assistants with him to Notre Dame & over time he has adjusted his offense to more of a pro-style team. I'd love to see Coach Jones move more toward the offense Kelly runs at ND while still using some spread principles.

I was just saying that Cincy is a basketball school and has had issues with their facilities in recent years. Tennessee has a MASSIVE recruiting budget and facilities that are second to none. He hasn't recruited at the highest level, but he's never had the tools or support in order to recruit at the highest level either. We'll see how good of a recruiter he and his staff is when they have to go head to head with the Richt's and Muschamp's.

I thought it was really genuine when he told our players they had the best. You could sense he was thinking damn what I can do with all of this. I liked that a lot.

Staff not complete. Martinez is good and so is Jay. Get Tee and it starts to make you feel better. I actually agree with you on the offense but like the fact when I researched it that he ran the ball more than he passed it this year. His D and kicking game have been solid. I like pro style better but if it is not a gimmic spread and one that runs the ball with a great QB it can work.

You got to have that great QB to make it go and that will be key. Also, why I would like two QB's this cycle.

:hi:

Like Strong was going to get looks from all kinds of prospects when he left Louisville for UT. Some people are being crazy expecting him to pull elite classes at Cincy. Brian Kelly didn't pull any huge recruits before he got to Notre Dame. Urban Meyer didn't pull huge classes at Utah or Bowling Green. Same goes for Saban at Michigan State.

My thing with Kelly is he hired very good assistants with him to Notre Dame & over time he has adjusted his offense to more of a pro-style team. I'd love to see Coach Jones move more toward the offense Kelly runs at ND while still using some spread principles.

Kelly took most if his staff with him and how do you know jones won't change it up with new style of players e can get? Like a lil kid that won't shut up.

And he took Heistand who everyone thought was the root of all evil....like they were telling me about Martinez sometimes you're the bat and sometimes your the ball.

I will say this, the players that he has recruited aren't rated very high, but they're very coachable and fit perfectly in his system.

You don't like the way he runs his spread offense..south carolina, Florida, tamu, and auburn have all proven you can win in the SEC with a spread type offense.

Auburn & Florida had 2 of the most explosive players in CFB, once they left we saw how those offenses diminished. Now Florida is going to a pro-style run team. Spurrier adjusted his offense when he came back to USCjr & landed Lattimore, he knew you had to line up & run the football to win on a consistent basis.

A&M had a great year, let's see if they can sustain that success over the next few seasons.

Completely not suprised our the teenager is already calling our new coach and staff garbage 2 days into the job. Good coaches bring a lot of their staff with them wherever they go otherwise they wouldn't be good coaches. It makes for easier transition when everyone is on same page. It's why Dooley no longer has a job
This is what I've been saying. Having a nucleus of coaches that are bought in helps with selling the vision.

1st, I'm not a teenager. 2nd I never called any of the coaches garbage, have no idea where you got that.

Staff not complete. Martinez is good and so is Jay. Get Tee and it starts to make you feel better. I actually agree with you on the offense but like the fact when I researched it that he ran the ball more than he passed it this year. His D and kicking game have been solid. I like pro style better but if it is not a gimmic spread and one that runs the ball with a great QB it can work.

You got to have that great QB to make it go and that will be key. Also, why I would like two QB's this cycle.

:hi:

The QBs on the roster can run his offense. Teams can't be over aggressive versus a pocket passer. Throwing lanes will be huge. Peterman is a perfect fit though.

Pompous much? He's been very mature in his disapproval and given logical reasons. Take your pretentious BS somewhere else. I don't quite agree with all his negativity but he's not trolling or flaming, so disagree with him with the same politeness and maturity he's using.

You think saying to someone to try being more positive even when you don't like things is pompous. Your post seems to be pompous. People who find success are not negative nancies. Think about it. You would not want Norman Vincent Peale to post in here either. He is not a troll but he is irritating as heck with his whining. See the most recent above posts by Jmoore to see he is getting better and coming out of it.

Auburn & Florida had 2 of the most explosive players in CFB, once they left we saw how those offenses diminished. Now Florida is going to a pro-style run team. Spurrier adjusted his offense when he came back to USCjr & landed Lattimore, he knew you had to line up & run the football to win on a consistent basis.

A&M had a great year, let's see if they can sustain that success over the next few seasons.

Every good offense has high impact players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back