Kaela Davis to announce

I dont pretend to know anything about womens recruiting but just going on visual numbers.

CHW has 2012- 3 girls in the top 40
and for 2013- 2 girls in the top 8

Baylor has 2012- 1 girl @ 16 and none for 2013. I think you are just making stuff up because you are bored. On a lady vols recruiting board really?

It's obvious you don't know anything about women's recruiting. Instead of looking at "visual numbers", why don't you turn on the tv and look at visual TALENT on each team. The talent gap between UConn, Baylor, and even some other teams versus Tennessee is significant right now. There's a reason these teams are in the Final Four every year, while the LV's haven't sniffed it in four years. And as great a talent as Russell is, she isn't going to narrow the gap as much as some fans are hoping. Davis is a huge loss, and there is no one else in this class that will make the kind of impact she would have.

It's obvious you don't know anything about women's recruiting. Instead of looking at "visual numbers", why don't you turn on the tv and look at visual TALENT on each team. The talent gap between UConn, Baylor, and even some other teams versus Tennessee is significant right now. There's a reason these teams are in the Final Four every year, while the LV's haven't sniffed it in four years. And as great a talent as Russell is, she isn't going to narrow the gap as much as some fans are hoping. Davis is a huge loss, and there is no one else in this class that will make the kind of impact she would have.

Better watch out, tvVols75 will call you dumb for this post.

Davis is not a huge loss. She's a great player but the loss of Russell is the only loss from this class that would've been huge. Russell was a want but more importantly, a need. Davis was a want. With all of that said, I wish her the best of luck at Ga Tech. She's a great player and will help that program tremendously.

Last edited:
I don't know the ins-and-outs of her recruitment, but I understand the decision:

1. Tech just finished a $50mm+ renovation of their basketball arena and facilities (UT spent $48mm on the new football complex everyone is drooling over). For those that say UT has better facilities, you obviously haven't been to Atlanta lately. Tech's stadium is WORLD CLASS. Georgia Tech unveils new basketball arena - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

2. Her chances of success in the working world are greatly enhanced by a Tech diploma. Yes, you can get a very nice education at UT. Tech is better. Thems the facts.

3. Atlanta is a world class town. Knoxville not so much.

4. She will get just as much attention playing in the ACC (if not more) as the SEC.

5. She will be THE big fish in the pond at Tech. At UT, with all our talent year in-and-out, not necessarily so.

6. As great as Holly is (and as much success as I wish for her), at the end of the day, she's not Pat and never will be. Holly is going to have to create her OWN identity for recruiting to pick up.

1. Oh, right. I forgot. TBA is a total dump. So is Pratt. :wacko:

2. Ok. I won't disagree. However, anytime you use the term "better" it isn't a fact. You may want to purchase a dictionary. And too bad academics had nothing to do with the decision. If academics were a factor (or a major one, anyway), she would've went to Duke, who she was also considering.

3. Your opinion. I know plenty of people who love Knoxville and plenty of people that don't think very highly of Atlanta. And once again, nothing to do with the decision.

4. Not true, and sure as hell not even close to true playing at GT vs. UT. Not in this sport. And GT will be lucky to finish higher than 4th in that conference for pretty much her entire career, or at least third. No way in hell will they be close to Duke or UNC.

5. She will indeed, which is why she is ending up there, because her cray cray mama is jealous of all of her peers and it's close enough that she can show up easily when the coaching staff pissed her off (not hard to do). Which is why she had to transfer from Norcross to Buford -- Monster Mommy didn't want her playing with Diamond Deshields. This is very well known by now.

6. Once again, nothing to do with it. Her decommitment had nothing to do with Pat's illness (despite what was said when she decommitted) and she wouldn't be here regardless if Pat were still here or not. And this has nothing to do with Holly. Kaela loves Holly.

Last edited:
And no, I don't think Davis is a huge loss, especially given we just got the best recruit in the class at the position of the most need. In all honesty, UT totally wasted their time getting back in connection with her. After what happened with her decommit, they should've never looked back. I suspect that if Pat were still coach the door never would've opened again.

Also, we have another top ten player with a very similar game to Kaela. And don't give me this "she's out with an ACL" BS either, DarthTroll. Tucker is awesome. Kaela wasn't a "must get" after we got her.

Anyone who thinks Davis wasn't a huge loss:
1) has never seen her play
2) has no clue about basketball
3) all the above

Russell may be ranked #1, but Davis will end up being the best overall player from this class. Book it.

3) all the above

Russell may be ranked #1, but Davis will end up being the best overall player from this class. Book it.

1. I've seen her play several times.
2. I've worked in the high school and college basketball world for 15 years.
3. All the above.

Wrong.

3) all the above

Well one thing is for sure: she's of no threat at Georgia Tech.

I have no problem with her picking GT. I wish her well, but folks don't need to come in here and try to say UT and GT are near equal in womens BB. It's not close. I would have liked to have gotten her in orange but I believe we will be O.K. without her. Maybe she can pull GT into the spotlight and get some enthusiasm going with the team. I would like to see it since I can get to the games easily.

Someone with knowledge of the situation told me that Davis was not really happy about leaving home and GT also gives her a chance to be a lone star rather than having to share the lime light.

Well one thing is for sure: she's of no threat at Georgia Tech.

Agreed. If there's a silver lining, at least she didn't commit to a legit contender. Hope her gaudy numbers are worth a short March season. She could have been a part of something special at Tennessee.

And she's chosen GA Tech.

Who's GA Tech again? Oh, no one. Perhaps its for the best tho, with all the drama and headache surrounding her prima donna family it may have been more trouble than it was worth. Have fun playing for a second tier womens team.

So classy.

You realize her brother is coming here, right?

Classy reaction guys.

Oh, and Georgia Tech is climbing up the ladder very quickly.

I'm already blown away by your astute knowledge of the game.

I have a VN stalker! Wow. Considering I was watching the game off and on, with no sound, while I watched tape of try outs for a local high school, it was an easy mistake, but it's nice/creepy to know someone is so interested in me on these boards.

Verbal commit at this time, right?

Yes, the early signing period is Nov 14 - Nov 21.

If you're thinking that it's possible she will reconsider, I think it is more likely that one of the UNC commits rethinks and goes elsewhere. Also, I think the coaching staff would be reluctant to consider another change of mind.

Jim

Last edited:
Do you all not know the story behind her decommitting back in Feb?? To add on top of that, the day after Mercedes committs to UT out comes the rumor that GaTech is in the lead recruiting wise! I have no doubts that Kaela, herself, would love nothing more than to be a LV, but will she make the decision for herself or for others??

It was for herself looks like she will be a scoring machine for that team and they will probably lose ten or more games a season while she is there. I think there was just to much bad blood with Tennessee. I heard she wanted another person to get a scholarship a friend and Tennessee refused so that is why she decommitted the first time. Anyway best of luck to her we have Tucker who is same type player and about as talented.

Yes, the early signing period is Nov 14 - Nov 21.

If you're thinking that it's possible she will reconsider, I think it is more likely that one of the UNC commits rethinks and goes elsewhere. Also, I think the coaching staff would be reluctant to consider another change of mind.

Jim

You're probably right. We'll soon know.

VN Store

Back