Kaela Davis to announce

You know nothing. Why don't you give up with your negative posting? She might go to Ga. Tech but you are a troll and nothing else.

She's coming to TN. If she is smart, the facilities, the media exposure, playing with top tier talent, and everything far out weighs GA Tech...my god.

And she's chosen GA Tech.

Who's GA Tech again? Oh, no one. Perhaps its for the best tho, with all the drama and headache surrounding her prima donna family it may have been more trouble than it was worth. Have fun playing for a second tier womens team.

One thing is for sure, UT dominance in women's basketball is predicated on great recruiting. If you don't get the Brittney Griners, Chamiqua Holdsclaws, Candace Parkers, Mya Moores, or Skylar Diggins of the world, you don't win championships. Hart needs to keep Nikki Caldwell on standby.

Reactions: 1 person
She chose Ga. Tech/ Wants to be the STAR ; a big fish in a smaller pond. Maybe Mercedes' commitment scared her off.

One thing is for sure, UT dominance in women's basketball is predicated on great recruiting. If you don't get the Brittney Griners, Chamiqua Holdsclaws, Candace Parkers, Mya Moores, or Skylar Diggins of the world, you don't win championships. Hart needs to keep Nikki Caldwell on standby.

All winners rely on great recruiting. I think Holly did better than Nikki this year.

Best of luck to her at Ga Tech but I'm still baffled why she chose them. She will never win a National Title there, and I'm not just saying this because I'm not a Ga Tech fan. It's just the truth. With the Baylor's, Tennessee's, UCONN's, Stanford's, Duke's, UNC's and Notre Dame's out there, Ga Tech has no shot of winning a National Title, with or without Davis. They're completely irrelevant.

Looks like Georgia Tech. Huge loss for Holly as they are still lagging behind UConn and Baylor in recruiting.

I dont pretend to know anything about womens recruiting but just going on visual numbers.

CHW has 2012- 3 girls in the top 40
and for 2013- 2 girls in the top 8

Baylor has 2012- 1 girl @ 16 and none for 2013. I think you are just making stuff up because you are bored. On a lady vols recruiting board really?

Maybe she didn't want the pressure that being part of a high profile team. I understand if you don't want to be a Lady Vol but if you choose to go to a place where womens basketball is an afterthougt seems very telling. I go to quite a few GT games. You walk up and pay your 4 dollars and walk in. Many times I've sat on the floor in the front row. Maybe Davis can change that but I doubt it. The games I've been to at GT has between 500 to 1500 people there. Hopefully they can build on the success they have had the past couple of years and become relevant.

Maybe she didn't want the pressure that being part of a high profile team. I understand if you don't want to be a Lady Vol but if you choose to go to a place where womens basketball is an afterthougt seems very telling. I go to quite a few GT games. You walk up and pay your 4 dollars and walk in. Many times I've sat on the floor in the front row. Maybe Davis can change that but I doubt it. The games I've been to at GT has between 500 to 1500 people there. Hopefully they can build on the success they have had the past couple of years and become relevant.

This. My cousin went to grad school at Ga Tech so I've been to a few games over the years and like you said, it's nothing like going to a Lay Vol game. The atmosphere doesn't come close. The fan support there is pretty weak.

Darth_Vol knows nothing. He or she is just a troll who does not like the Lady Vols and just looks for something negative, even if he or she has to just make it up. From now on I will ignore any posts by this troll - not worth reading or responding.

very surprised she didn't pick Duke (heck i guess didn't even have them in her final 2), but a huge pickup for Georgia Tech.. not quite sure what the appeal is to go there however. seems to be a weird pick.

She'll regret it! Just wait til Eric Berry meets her across the middle.

...........wait, wrong thread.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't know the ins-and-outs of her recruitment, but I understand the decision:

1. Tech just finished a $50mm+ renovation of their basketball arena and facilities (UT spent $48mm on the new football complex everyone is drooling over). For those that say UT has better facilities, you obviously haven't been to Atlanta lately. Tech's stadium is WORLD CLASS. Georgia Tech unveils new basketball arena - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

2. Her chances of success in the working world are greatly enhanced by a Tech diploma. Yes, you can get a very nice education at UT. Tech is better. Thems the facts.

3. Atlanta is a world class town. Knoxville not so much.

4. She will get just as much attention playing in the ACC (if not more) as the SEC.

5. She will be THE big fish in the pond at Tech. At UT, with all our talent year in-and-out, not necessarily so.

6. As great as Holly is (and as much success as I wish for her), at the end of the day, she's not Pat and never will be. Holly is going to have to create her OWN identity for recruiting to pick up.

Last edited:
I don't know the ins-and-outs of her recruitment, but I understand the decision:

1. Tech just finished a $50mm+ renovation of their basketball arena and facilities. For those that say UT has better facilities, you obviously haven't been to Atlanta lately. Tech's stadium is WORLD CLASS. Georgia Tech unveils new basketball arena - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

2. Her chances of success in the working world are greatly enhanced by a Tech diploma. Yes, you can get a very nice education at UT. Tech is better. Thems the facts.

4. She will get just as much attention playing in the ACC (if not more) as the SEC.

5. She will be THE big fish in the pond at Tech. At UT, with all our talent year in-and-out, not necessarily so.

6. As great as Holly is (and as much success as I wish for her), at the end of the day, she's not Pat and never will be. Holly is going to have to create her OWN identity for recruiting to pick up.

These are great and all but I'm pretty sure the young woman would like to win a National Championship during her college career as well. At Ga Tech the chances of that happening are slim to none.

LOL, GA Tech. That is just sad.

If she really is scared of competition then she picked a good place to hide. At least the transition from high school to college should be easier for her since the crowd numbers will be about the same.

I have mixed emotions about this. She has a lot of talent but it is pretty clear she also has a huge amount of baggage. All things considered, I think in the long run we will be better off.

We just need to go out and fill her spot now. Tucker may or may not recover from her injury fully so we are thinner at guard than we would like for this class and we still need another big.

1. Tech just finished a $50mm+ renovation of their basketball arena and facilities. For those that say UT has better facilities, you obviously haven't been to Atlanta lately. Tech's stadium is WORLD CLASS. Georgia Tech unveils new basketball arena - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

1. The facility is nice it's just too bad that it will be mostly empty when the girls play.
2. A diploma from GT is nice but a lot depends on what you want a degree in.
3. World class town? Maybe a wannabe. It is big, world class? Ehh not so much in my opinion or at least compared to some other large cities I've been to.
4. Sorry, but that's just completely wrong. If the team improves and becomes a top notch team it can come close but there are only about 4 schools with the exposure the Lady Vols have.
5. Big fish in a puddle as of now. GT hasn't made it to the pond yet.
6. Time will determine how Holly does. She does have two top recruiters on staff. This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

When the dust settles & after a year or so, she will realize that a mistake was made & transfer to UT because that's where her 1st Love is. But in the meantime, good luck to her showing that #2 rating to nobody at GT & for never being in Orange playing in front of 24,000 fans & on TV playing for a NC. Oh well, people will forget about her this time next year because nobody will hear from her again being at GT except those that are local maybe. Now we may get a shot at Jordan Reynolds who will announce Friday night but who knows what's best for their college choice but these girls.

1. Tech just finished a $50mm+ renovation of their basketball arena and facilities (UT spent $48mm on the new football complex everyone is drooling over). For those that say UT has better facilities, you obviously haven't been to Atlanta lately. Tech's stadium is WORLD CLASS. Georgia Tech unveils new basketball arena - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Sorry but I have to argue with some statements here.

1. The new $50m complex is football AND basketball.

2. Depends on what degree you are looking for. Can't just make a blanket statement about this.

3. If you think Atlanta is a world class town then we will agree to disagree. I'm not saying Knox is that great, but Atlanta isn't good either.

4. No she won't because she won't be going to Duke or NC. GaTech is an after thought in the ACC.

5. This one I completely agree with you.

6. Get the #1 to commit and get the #8 to stay committed and all the sudden you can't recruit. Seriously? She still wants 4 more to sign this season and there are still plenty of the top 100 recruits looking at Tennessee. How are we doing bad here in recruiting? Don't understand this thought at all.

#1. Their women's facilities don't compare. You haven't seen the practice facilities apparently. And the new arena still doesn't compare with Thompson-Boling which UT renovated in 2008. Only the Carrier Dome (also a football stadium) seats more. But then, Tech doesn't need that many seats.
#2. Maybe she wants to be an engineer? That diploma might mean more around Atlanta, but in the real world?
#3. Ridiculous. It is larger, period.
#4. She will get less attention at Ga. Tech than on a contender, except at Tech.
#5. That is apparently her goal; to be the big fish.
#6. No one will ever be Pat. Holly and the program will continue to recruit well.
Just because we lost a recruit (and probably baggage to go with it) doesn't mean the curtain closes. After all I'd rather have Mercedes Russell than two Kaelas. We have very good guards and there will be more later.

When the dust settles & after a year or so, she will realize that a mistake was made & transfer to UT because that's where her 1st Love is. But in the meantime, good luck to her showing that #2 rating to nobody at GT & for never being in Orange playing in front of 24,000 fans & on TV playing for a NC. Oh well, people will forget about her this time next year because nobody will hear from her again being at GT except those that are local maybe. Now we may get a shot at Jordan Reynolds who will announce Friday night but who knows what's best for their college choice but these girls.

This is just dumb.

Counter points:
- At UT she'd be on TV more than once per year. She'd be on TV 2 night's per week on average and at minimum 10 times nationally.
- Have a legit shot at winning a trophy. GT won't even win their conference.
- Play her way into the WNBA. Has a year gone by where UT has failed a player to the WNBA?
- Most of the degrees that athletes major in are comparable from one school to the next. It's highly improbable that she's majoring in engineering, GaTech's specialty.

I wish her the best but it's a bit of a head-scratcher. I'm not sure its an inditement on Holly since she chose GT instead of another WCBB power like Uconn, Duke, Stanford, etc. It' totally possible she's just a homebody and didn't want to go away to school. It happens.

The sour grapes expressed in this thread are disappointing. Every player picks the school based on their own personal desires. Kaela’s reasoning is just as valid as anyone else’s. Kaela Davis Blazes New Trail — Nov. 1, 2012

The AP and USA Coaches poll ratings are 20 & 16 for the Vols, and 22 & 20 for Ga Tech respectively. Not much difference between the two teams. Besides, Tennessee has underperformed over the past 4 years even with superior players who were valued in the WNBA draft. That coupled with the management turmoil and new coach uncertainty might convince a recruit to go elsewhere.

One player can make a big difference to a team as shown by Delaware’s success (rated 11 & 10) and widespread public awareness since EDD arrived. Tenn is ranked 4 in the SEC while Tech is ranked 3rd in the ACC.

Tennessee fans would do well to concentrate on the future and not the past. As the Wall St. folks tell us, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

VN Store

Back