UT fan falling from upper deck? (Merged)

By Mike Morris and Doug Roberson

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A football fan has died after falling 35 feet from the first row of the upper deck Friday night at the Georgia Dome, landing on a patron and sending both to the hospital, the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office said early Saturday.

The 20-year-old man who fell later died at Grady Memorial Hospital, Medical Examiner’s office Investigator Leon Harrison told the AJC just before 1 a.m. Saturday.

The incident happened about 8:40 p.m. Friday during the Chick-fil-A kickoff game between Tennessee and North Carolina State.

The man who fell, who was wearing a Tennessee shirt, was taken to Grady, and the the person he landed on in the mezzanine area was transported to Atlanta Medical Center. There was no immediate word on the second person’s conditions.

Fan dies after fall at Georgia Dome | www.ajc.com

Unbelievably tragic.

I'm not a litigious person, but if the stadium personnel handled it as poorly as some of you said they did, I hope the kids family sues the **** out of the georgia dome.

Unbelievably tragic.

I'm not a litigious person, but if the stadium personnel handled it as poorly as some of you said they did, I hope the kids family sues the **** out of the georgia dome.

10+ for first medical response

15-20 before actual medical team with backboard

20-25 for stretcher and removal

30-35 for 2nd stretcher and backboard

40-45 min for 2nd removal

Kid fell around 8:20. By 8:40 he wasn't even on a backboard. Most of the initial 'response' was stadium security taking a peek. First cop showed well well after the fall. Fans were yelling and pleading for stadium staff to get medical attention. No excuse.

10+ for first medical response

15-20 before actual medical team with backboard

20-25 for stretcher and removal

30-35 for 2nd stretcher and backboard

40-45 min for 2nd removal

Kid fell around 8:20. By 8:40 he wasn't even on a backboard. Most of the initial 'response' was stadium security taking a peek. First cop showed well well after the fall. Fans were yelling and pleading for stadium staff to get medical attention. No excuse.

OMG! That is unacceptable!

Wow. I met this guy before. Friend of a friend. Really sad news. I can't imagine anything like this. Stuff like this is terrible. Precautionary steps should be put in place with this thing happening back to back nights.

I know this is sad, but how do you accidentally fall off of a railed balcony, hope they have video cameras.

I'm 5'6'', the railing doesn't come up to my waist, very esay to fall over if you aren't paying attention

I was just telling someone earlier how I almost fell off taking a pic after a falcons game there last year. That place needs some serious remodeling.. Sending prayers to the families involved.

Guys, ease up on the responders. I'm sure it's easy to want to take your frustrations out and vocalize them, especially if you happened to witness the events as they transpired. But, honestly, from witness accounts/media stories/and even the VN posts on here, it really wouldn't have made a difference if he were "on a backboard" in 2 minutes as opposed to the reported "20-minutes."

Purely speculative and from a medical-based point of view, a 40-foot fall onto a concrete surface below, in which he had to tumble OVER the railing (i.e. head first), and the reports of him being unconscious, unresponsive, and someone here stated "his chest was moving a little bit," (more than like describing agonal respirations--which, in the medical field, is very telling of significant injury--significant head injury specifically), all of that would lead me to believe that he suffered a significant traumatic head injury. I say this to drive home the point that once this occurred, his outcome (and unfortunately his fate) were basically sealed--no matter the care he received immediately following.

The only thing that would lead me to believe otherwise would be if there were accounts of the victim being alert, talking, conscious, etc...after the fall. In that scenario, the head injury would not have been the cause for him passing away--it would have been severe internal injury--in which case the only "fix" for this would be immediate definitive care (i.e. quick response and transport to Grady Shock/Trauma and more than likely directly to surgery to correct the internal bleeding). Delay in THIS timeframe (what we call the "Golden Hour") would negatively impact his chance of survival--if that were the case. But, this does not seem to match up with what was/is being reported.

Again, I am just trying to bring some medical basis and reason to this conversation. I don't know all of the facts and I am just going on what I have read/heard and from that, forging my own beliefs on what happened. Speculative, yes; but backed by experience and medical fact.

Also, I am not saying that he could not have sustained severe head injury AND internal bleeding, because in all actuality, this is most likely what his injuries were--a combination. All I am trying to point out is that for someone that suffers a severe head injury, no matter what other injuries may be present, the prognosis is rarely good. Try to take it easy on the responders.

It's tragic and terrible. Prayers for the young man's family and friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I am truly deflated over this news. Very sorry to his family, friends, and everyone it affected. I hope he is with god, and watching the decade of dominance with him. We will miss you bro. God speed my friend.

Reactions: 3 people
Honestly, it doesn't matter now whether he was drunk, careless, or just slipped on something. No one deserves to die like that. No one.

Sure it might've mattered regarding the fan he hit in terms of liability had he been drunk but it would STILL be a tragedy. Almost every one of us goes to a game to have a good time and a good portion of that good time involves losing ourselves in the moment and not always paying attention to our surrounding.

I find this all very, very, sad and frankly don't think it matters one whit to his family whether or not it was his legal fault in some way. It won't ease the pain. Heck, it won't even ease the pain for the fan he hit who has to live with seeing a young man so very injured and know he died from it while s/he got lucky. Accidents happen.

Just to be clear. He was sober. Just a terrible accident.

I get that. I'm just saying it wouldn't matter. A fan dying during a celebration like this is just terrible and the circumstances wouldn't make his life any less or ease his loved ones' pain.

Reactions: 2 people
I hate when ppl fall. I work with heights everyday. Falling, the thought of falling and being so helpless.... Just effed up.

VN Store

Back