Food and stuff in Atlanta

ladyvolinbama

Do you guys know of any great "hidden" dining gems in or around Atlanta. Any cool stuff to do other than Coke, Aquarium, CNN, or the normal stuff??

Do you guys know of any great "hidden" dining gems in or around Atlanta. Any cool stuff to do other than Coke, Aquarium, CNN, or the normal stuff??
If you're in need of a good "cleansing" meal, I highly recommend the Varsity on North Avenue. Orange soda, chili dogs, onion rings, and fried pies will get you where you need to go in a hurry! :)

In seriousness, what type of food do you like and what's your budget?

Underground Atlanta is pretty cool. You can take a tour of Turner Field. The Varsity is a world famous spot for hot dogs.

There's a diner somewhere called "The Majestic" It's been open since 1929. I went the other night, and it was good. Nothing fancy, just nice, tasty diner food. I spent ~13.00 for a Burger, fries, extra fries and coke, with tip.

There's a place called the Park Tavern, too..down in Piedmont Park. Has their own brewed beer, and a pretty good home-cookin' style menu. Someone said the same people that do the Riverside Tavern here in Knoxville run it, but I'm not sure the truth of that. Pretty reasonable..casual dining.

If you like Indian food, Haveli is my favorite..hands down...over any I've been to in Knoxville, Nashville, DC, Boston, and...of course..Atlanta.

The Virginia Highlands area (near the Majestic) off of Ponce De Leon and North Highland Avenue has a bunch of great dining spots. Midtown does as well.

Again, if you'll give me a price range, I might be able to steer you to certain places.

Speaking of the Majestic, I have a good friend that used to be a Dekalb County police officer. He recalls fondly when he would pick up drunks that had wandered into Dekalb County, and then drop them off at the parking lot of the Majestic (this is right inside the City of Atlanta). He would then tell them that they're now the City of Atlanta's problem. :)

If you like Indian food, Haveli is my favorite..hands down...over any I've been to in Knoxville, Nashville, DC, Boston, and...of course..Atlanta.
Urrggh ... I like Indian food, but if you're speaking of the Haveli off of S. Marietta Pkwy, I've seen roaches at that place.

If you want an experience along with incredible food, head for Fogo de Chao. It's a Brazilian steakhouse on Piedmont in Buckhead.

There's a bar called the Claremont Lounge that I think you'd appreciate. It's on Ponce de Leon, near Green's Liquor.

Urrggh ... I like Indian food, but if you're speaking of the Haveli off of S. Marietta Pkwy, I've seen roaches at that place.

That establishment is owned by the same family, but that is not the one that I am speaking of....it is downtown. Who knows though, I haven't been there in about 5 years - which I should have said in my post.

There is a restaurant here in Boston called Punjab's, though, that is my 2nd favorite...if you are ever in town and are looking for Indian food.

If you want an experience along with incredible food, head for Fogo de Chao. It's a Brazilian steakhouse on Piedmont in Buckhead.
Man, those Brazilian Steakhouses ought to offer free coupons for stomach pumpings at the local hospital. Don't get me wrong, the food is excellent, but you won't want to see any form of meat for about a month afterwards.

The only good thing about Atl is I-75 leading out of town...in either direction...

I eat the Varsity at least once every time I'm in town. Usually bring 8 or 12 chili dogs home with me too. Just get anything with chili and you're fine.

The Vortex has the best burgers in town.

Papa Deaux's is a great seafood/cajun chain that isn't around here. There's a couple in ATL. Solid every time I've been there.

Sidelines on Roswell road is a good bar outside the city. Lots of pool tables, mega touchs, video games, beer, and a batting cage.

If you ever need a cheap room in ATL, you can priceline your own price and get the Marietta Hyatt for $35. Been doing this one for years. All suits, so your room is 2 rooms with tvs in each. Hotel is right off Windy Hill exit on 75, about 15 min from I-75/85 merge. (priceline, select only Marietta, 3-stars, $35 and 9 times out of 10 you'll be accepted at the Hyatt)

For real though. If you want a "hidden gem", I'd suggest getting a burger at The Earl in East Atlanta. It's easily the best burger in town. (THE EARL)

For barbecue, I'd suggest Daddy D'z (http://daddydz.com/).

For sushi, go to MF. (Sushi Restaurant Bar, Midtown, Atlanta, Georgia, GA, 30308)

For French, try Anis (Anis Cafe & Bistro - Atlanta, GA, 30305 - Citysearch.

For margaritas and new Mexican, go to Sala (http://sala-atlanta.com/).

For pizza and drinks, try Fritti (http://www.americascuisine.com/atlanta/fritti.htm).

For a good pub with a cheap burger, either Moe's & Joe's (Moe's & Joe's - Atlanta, GA, 30306-3550 - Citysearch) or the Righteous Room (http://atlanta.citysearch.com/profile/2997449).

It's hard to go wrong with any of these.

If you want something to do, go for a tour of the Sweetwater brewery (http://www.sweetwaterbrew.com/about.asp?section=tours).

I eat the Varsity at least once every time I'm in town. Usually bring 8 or 12 chili dogs home with me too. Just get anything with chili and you're fine.

The Vortex has the best burgers in town.

Papa Deaux's is a great seafood/cajun chain that isn't around here. There's a couple in ATL. Solid every time I've been there.

Sidelines on Roswell road is a good bar outside the city. Lots of pool tables, mega touchs, video games, beer, and a batting cage.

If you ever need a cheap room in ATL, you can priceline your own price and get the Marietta Hyatt for $35. Been doing this one for years. All suits, so your room is 2 rooms with tvs in each. Hotel is right off Windy Hill exit on 75, about 15 min from I-75/85 merge. (priceline, select only Marietta, 3-stars, $35 and 9 times out of 10 you'll be accepted at the Hyatt)
The Vortex does have killer burgers...

Also, if you choose the Marietta Hyatt, and like Sushi, check out Ru San's on the corner of Windy Hill and Cobb Parkway. Unbelieveable sushi menu along with the traditional Japanese staples (Teryaki chicken, tempura, etc).

The Vortex does have killer burgers...

Also, if you choose the Marietta Hyatt, and like Sushi, check out Ru San's on the corner of Windy Hill and Cobb Parkway. Unbelieveable sushi menu along with the traditional Japanese staples (Teryaki chicken, tempura, etc).

Vol fans who would prefer sushi to steak, ribs, burgers, etc... should have their license to wear the power "T" suspended until they see the error of their ways....
:shades:

VN Store

Back