High school football rules discussion

on the "selling it" issue. I dont subscribe to it. I think we, as football officials look better when we make the tough, close call exactly the same way we make the easy no-brainer. I think you can look overly officious. I know some officials who have developed a reputation as being "big-time" by trying to "sell" a number of calls.

When i think of that situation though, and this may be what you mean, I think of a wing man coming in with confidence and sticking a spot. Nothing out of the ordinary. Now, the wing man who comes in pointing to his foot yelling "here! here!" (which I am sad to say I have seen) or the official that comes up and slaps the ground to show that the pass was trapped and not caught, is over the top in my opinion. It just brings attention to the official which is unwarranted and unnecessary.This is all my opinion of course.

On the flip side, if you come in and look lost or hesitate. you're toast.

on the "selling it" issue. I dont subscribe to it. I think we, as football officials look better when we make the tough, close call exactly the same way we make the easy no-brainer. I think you can look overly officious. I know some officials who have developed a reputation as being "big-time" by trying to "sell" a number of calls.

When i think of that situation though, and this may be what you mean, I think of a wing man coming in with confidence and sticking a spot. Nothing out of the ordinary. Now, the wing man who comes in pointing to his foot yelling "here! here!" (which I am sad to say I have seen) or the official that comes up and slaps the ground to show that the pass was trapped and not caught, is over the top in my opinion. It just brings attention to the official which is unwarranted and unnecessary.This is all my opinion of course.

On the flip side, if you come in and look lost or hesitate. you're toast.

I do not think that I would have been assigned to work into the semi-final round of the state football playoffs at the age of 22 if I was out there to "big time" it. I was always in position and sure of my calls, that is all.

I do not think that I would have been assigned to work into the semi-final round of the state football playoffs at the age of 22 if I was out there to "big time" it. I was always in position and sure of my calls, that is all.

That is not what I said at all. You've taken what I said way out of context. I'm sure you're a fine official. Maybe you suck. I don't know. Never worked with you. THEREFORE, I was not calling you "big-time". If you will reread my post all I said was that "some officials I know have developed a reputation as big time". I thought I was pretty clear that this was only my opinion, of which I am completely entitled to and which has, by the way worked well for me in my officiating career.

T-Town, I don't know you but take this bit of advice. Going around throwing your playoff schedule in other people's faces is absolutley big timing it. I won't go down that road with you and bore you with my games (regular season and postseason) that I've worked at and at what levels. All I will tell you is this, be careful when you start comparing your officiating resume with others, especially ones you dont know, because you may be sorely disappointed.

I apologize to the OP for this post. I know this was not the original direction of this thread but maybe something can be learned through this as well.

I was trained by the best in the state and was begged not to leave officiating by the Executive Director of the TSSAA and many coaches. It is officials like you that caused me to give it up. Always giving "advise" when it is not asked for or needed. I can take and always asked for constructive criticism. You have offerred none only judgement.

Nice close to the last post by the way. "Maybe something can be learned through this".......really.....talk about Mr. BIg Time!

Last edited:
I worked a 3rd round game at Maryville once and a semi at Baylor. We usually go west and south for playoffs so not many chances to go east. I've heard there are some great places to work out east though.

Wait......I can not mention ONE of the playoff games that I worked as the youngest official in TSSAA history to do so........but you can list some of yours and "I" am the one that needs to watch the "rubbing it in peoples face" or "big timing".......Pot....meet.....Kettle

I was trained by the best in the state and was begged not to leave officiating by the Executive Director of the TSSAA and many coaches. It is officials like you that caused me to give it up. Always giving "advise" when it is not asked for or needed. I can take and always asked for constructive criticism. You have offerred none only judgement.

Nice close to the last post by the way. "Maybe something can be learned through this".......really.....talk about Mr. BIg Time![/QUOTE

Say whatever you need to make yourself feel better. You've twisted everything i said.
From your rant i can tell that the TSSAA is much better without you. If you cannot take advice and get upset so quick about things, you have no business wearing stripes. And yes, NOW I am judging you.
You know something, I ALWAYS accept advice from other officials without getting upset whether I feel like their advice is helpful or not. Common courtesy. And I know guys like you too, the ones who think they know everything and were "trained by the best" and "coaches love them". Most of those guys will call HS ball for a few years and quit like you. wondering why they couldn't make it to the next level.

Wait......I can not mention ONE of the playoff games that I worked as the youngest official in TSSAA history to do so........but you can list some of yours and "I" am the one that needs to watch the "rubbing it in peoples face" or "big timing".......Pot....meet.....Kettle

Again, twisting my words. This was in a discussion with the other guy about places we've worked. I didn't throw it in his face to "prove" I was a good official.

And since we will never meet to hash this out in person and compare game films, we will never know if your the great (former) official you claim to be. Frankly I don't care.

Nice close to the last post by the way. "Maybe something can be learned through this".......really.....talk about Mr. BIg Time![/QUOTE

Say whatever you need to make yourself feel better. You've twisted everything i said.
From your rant i can tell that the TSSAA is much better without you. If you cannot take advice and get upset so quick about things, you have no business wearing stripes. And yes, NOW I am judging you.
You know something, I ALWAYS accept advice from other officials without getting upset whether I feel like their advice is helpful or not. Common courtesy. And I know guys like you too, the ones who think they know everything and were "trained by the best" and "coaches love them". Most of those guys will call HS ball for a few years and quit like you. wondering why they couldn't make it to the next level.

I did make the next level before I got out. I worked D1 games for 5 years. So you can keep your theories about "guys like me".
I took all advise from my fellow officials and learned from it. If that is what you think you are doing here, you are sadly mistaken.
You do not know me and to make the "think they know every thing" comment in my direction is so far from describing my officiating career that it makes you sound like the fool that you are. All I was doing was giving the credit where it is due, to my supervising officials and mentors.

As for the "TSSAA is better off with out you" comment, RC said the exact opposite when he called me to ask me to stay.

Last edited:
Again, twisting my words. This was in a discussion with the other guy about places we've worked. I didn't throw it in his face to "prove" I was a good official.

And since we will never meet to hash this out in person and compare game films, we will never know if your the great (former) official you claim to be. Frankly I don't care.

All evidence to the contrary.

[/B]

All evidence to the contrary.

I'm done with this. If I have offended you, I apologize. That was not my original intention. I should not have said those things in my last two posts. I was wrong. This conversation has taken a turn that I did not want. I am partly to blame and will accept my responibility for it. I'm sure you were a fine official and from what you have said you had a great career that very few officials have the chance to experience.

If you would like discuss this further please feel free to send me a private message.

I'm done with this. If I have offended you, I apologize. That was not my original intention. I should not have said those things in my last two posts. I was wrong. This conversation has taken a turn that I did not want. I am partly to blame and will accept my responibility for it. I'm sure you were a fine official and from what you have said you had a great career that very few officials have the chance to experience.

If you would like discuss this further please feel free to send me a private message.

Now I know that you are a good official. This post is the definition of "selling it".
You do not owe me an apology. I was the antagonist. It is hard to interpret tone on a forum like this.
Have a good day.

Do you agree that if the ball passes the plane of the goal line on a kickoff, that it cannot be returned? I've never understood the purpose of the rule.

Do you agree that if the ball passes the plane of the goal line on a kickoff, that it cannot be returned? I've never understood the purpose of the rule.
Yeah, I agree. It is a rule in high school.

If you are asking should it be that way? I don't care one way or the other. If would probably making officiating easier if they could return it. We wouldn't have to be on our toes thinking at that point. We could just let the play continue and go from there.

I watched a college game yesterday and saw something I have never seen: a point after touchdown was blocked, scooped up by the defending team and returned to the endzone. The defending team was given two points.

Can this be done in Tennessee high school football as well?

Last edited:
I watched a college game yesterday and saw something I have never seen: a point after touchdown was blocked, scooped up by the defending team and returned to the endzone. The defending team was given two points.

Can this be done in Tennessee high school football as well?

No. If the team kicks the extra point once it is apparent the kick is no good the play is dead. If they go for 2 and throw an interception or fumble once the defense gains possession it is dead.

Thank you footballref for your reply. I didn't think it was even allowed in the college ranks.

Also, if you are still an active referee, THANK YOU for doing a thankless job.

Thank you footballref for your reply. I didn't think it was even allowed in the college ranks.

Also, if you are still an active referee, THANK YOU for doing a thankless job.
I won't comment on the rules for college and/or the NFL since they play by different rules.

Thank you for your kind words. It is usually a pretty fun being on the field.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back