Clearinghouse Updates

It doesn't really make sense that Edwards reported yesterday and is going to practice with the team but Walls didn't. Why did Edwards report and Walls didn't, when neither of them have been cleared yet? Is it a personal choice if you want to go ahead and practice with the team until you find out? If so, Walls needs to be there too, IMO.

possible the same circumstance as Williams, remember he practiced for about a week or so and we all thought he was fine until they pulled him off the field.

yes, and the same thing happend to leonard little.

They were very late in clearing Brandon Warren last year. All hope is not lost for Walls just yet.

hypothetically, assume I have no idea about what you are talking about when you say, "clearinghouse"....how would you explain this to a person who doesn't know what you're talking about?

If that doesn't work....I've got a "friend" that doesn't know about the "clearinghouse", could you tell me how to explain it to "him"?

I'm a little iffy on it myself, but essentially the NCAA reviews borderline academic cases and says yay or nay about whether or not they're allowed to play in the NCAA. They don't like anomalies like too many internet courses or a big jump in ACT scores from a re-take. So these players are trying to get through the clearinghouse and if they're approved they can play for UT. If they're not they have to go the JUCO route.

I'm not 100% sure what triggers a clearinghouse review.

Looks like Walls has been admitted for Fall '09 and his status is active.

Marlon Walls , hit search after link opens.

Last edited:
poster on volquest (tennstud) says he spoke to Walls dad and marlon has a 2.41 and needs a 2.5 and they are faxing in additional documentation right now to raise it to 2.5...

he also says Orgeron told Walls dad he will "most definitely" get in this year

Last edited:
poster on volquest (tennstud) says walls has a 2.41 and needs a 2.5 and they are faxing in additional documentation right now to raise it to 2.5...

he also says Orgeron told Walls dad he will "most definitely" get in this year

I hope Coach O is right. We'll have a good DL this year, but we can't afford to lose depth, and Walls can provide that.

CJ Fleming is gone for good IIRC. Rogan may be back but he's still got some issues.

I just get the feeling we're gonna get butt****ed on all 3 of these guys though

I remember when Hubbs said that about Fleming being gone for good, but everything points to Hubbs being wrong. NewVol has been saying the whole time that Fleming will be here and has never stopped practicing...

I am very surprised about Marlon Walls...horrible news if he doesn't get cleared.

The clearinghouse is just not in any hurry. He had to take some kind of class this summer and I've heard that is the delay. But that is just hear-say. I do think Walls will make it in..

Coach O getting him to take any classes at BYU? ;)

I was missing 1 class to graduate so I picked a random Sport Psych class because it looked easy (it was). On the first screen it specifically says per NCAA rules, student athletes from other institutions may not take Independent Study classes for credit from BYU.

Shame too... you only need like a 34% to pass... I was thinking I was going to end up with a B and ended up with an A.

BYU Independent Study - Distance Education Courses - Online Learning

Exception: College athletes from schools other than BYU are not allowed to enroll in BYU Independent Study university-level courses. This restriction applies to students who are currently eligible as well as those seeking eligibility to participate in any collegiate athletic program (e.g. NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA).
High school student athletes may enroll in any NCAA approved high school-level courses.

I understand that he has been admitted into school. Therefore, I guess is the clearinghouse is going to clear him. Why would he not be practicing with the team? just like Edward's is doing.

Well, they were saying on the radio this morning, that things don't look good for Green at all. My understanding is that Green is Juco bound.

Apparently the coaches are confident Walls will not get cleared or he would be there practicing anyways, just like Edwards is. Not a good sign. If he does get cleared, he will have a lot of time to make up from missing camp.

Agreed, I think Walls would be at practice if there was a good chance of him making it. You really can't put much in what TennStud says. He is all over the place.

Plus if he does get cleared he has to do the 4 day no full pads acclamation period the NCAA makes mandatory. I just thought it was only 2 days last year.

I posted this on the Eddie Lacy thread. Lacy was cleared today by the Clearinghouse to play this season at Bama. Maybe Walls and Edwards will hear something soon.

VN Store

Back