Pearl Signing 6 year contract today.

Dickey protege? You've lost your damn mind.
Remind me who groomed Hamilton for the job. He's proving to be nothing more than a clone of the stooge that he succeeded. Give your cronies outsized, unjustified contracts. Same old, same old.

Am I reading that we have some "Pearl Hater's?" I know that the Gator's are UT's biggest foe in football and basketball and the Cat's (KY) are there too. Maybe Pearl should have been signed for only 3 rather than 6. Would that be better. I think Bruce has the Vols going in the right direction. How many years did UT not even make it to the NCAA tournament in the last decade before Bruce came along. He also has the Vols playing tougher teams too(i.e Gonzaga, etc). The Zags are a top 20 team and maybe better at times. Bruce could have had us in the final 4 just 2 years ago.Hey, 30-5 in 2007 was fantastic and we beat Memphis who was runner-up in the NCAA tournament.
GO VOLS!

What coaching (game prep, discipline, mid-game adjustments, etc.) did you see while watching last year’s team that warrants such praise?

My only real complaint about Hambone is getting UT in these long-term extensions with coaches that aren't going anywhere (Fulmer).

Why in the world are we paying this guy so much money for 6 years when he hasn't gotten past the Sweet Sixteen? Good night, Mike. You are going to end up in the same situation with Pearl that you were with Fulmer. This basketball team, if they don't get a point guard soon, could easily be a 12 win team in 2010-2011 season. Then what?

Remind me who groomed Hamilton for the job. He's proving to be nothing more than a clone of the stooge that he succeeded. Give your cronies outsized, unjustified contracts. Same old, same old.

I guess Johnny Majors was in Dickey's doghouse, because he probably would have gotten that raise he wanted before the 1992 season...

6 more years of a non-constructive and totally polarized message board.

It isn't totally polarized. I'm no Bruce fan, but I recognize that he has transitioned the program to nationally competitive and can likely keep it there. I just don't believe he'll win anything of any merit.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It isn't totally polarized. I'm no Bruce fan, but I recognize that he has transitioned the program to nationally competitive and can likely keep it there. I just don't believe he'll win anything of any merit.

Do you feel like with UT being a dominant football school, that the Athletic department is more willing to settle for making the tournament every year and hopefully litter in some SEC titles/sweet sixteens/elite eights? Obviously in the past its always been a case of UT hoops living in the shadow of the football program, kind of like the bastard child so to speak. (as is the reverse in UK).

It seems they are happy to have their basketball program perhaps treading water a bit above average, making some big time TV games while focusing on the bigger picture, which is football.

Otherwise I see no reason for signing the great orange one to a long term 6 year deal.

6 more years of a non-constructive and totally polarized message board.
Not really. A couple of more years of Tanning Bed's act and apathy will have set in to the point that very few people care enough to discuss UT basketball. It'll pretty much be a carbon copy of the end of Uncle Jed Green's tenure.

Totally against long term contracts. Seems as though he would have learned a lesson with signing the last UT football coach with such a lucrative,long term, buy-out contract.Apparently MBA Mike doesn't understand the prinicples of economics.

Coppertone.com

hamilton-mike-630.jpg

Particularly ironic considering that he's a CPA.

Money management and negotiating do not appear to be his strong suits.

Yes, but at least Hamilton had the balls to admit his mistake to firing Fulmer. Do I agree w/ the six year deal a/b Pearl? no, tht's too many years. Two-Three year extension would have done just fine. Also, Hamilton has shown interest in other sports, unlike Dickey.

this i agree w/.

You don't think Kiffin was a good hire?

Particularly ironic considering that he's a CPA.

Money management and negotiating do not appear to be his strong suits.
CPAs tend to know nothing of money management and negotiation. They're bean counters and tax preparers. Some go a little farther, but not many.

Agreed. THe wife is a CPA and she could care less about money management. Doesn't know much about it and doesn't want to...

Wow, I can't believe some many people dislike Pearl. I'm starting to think that since Fulmer was fired, Tennessee fans have been in "firing" mode.

don't think it's that we don't like him. I just have 0 confidence he can take us any farther than he already has.......

Wow, I can't believe some many people dislike Pearl. I'm starting to think that since Fulmer was fired, Tennessee fans have been in "firing" mode.

don't think it's that we don't like him. I just have 0 confidence he can take us any farther than he already has.......

I agree with ATL and I also think off the court Pearl is a slime ball.

I thought you said, when Kiffin was hired, that Hamilton was "two-for-two in big-time hires."

So, now he's a stooge.

I apologize if I'm misquoting you.

Do you feel like with UT being a dominant football school, that the Athletic department is more willing to settle for making the tournament every year and hopefully litter in some SEC titles/sweet sixteens/elite eights? Obviously in the past its always been a case of UT hoops living in the shadow of the football program, kind of like the bastard child so to speak. (as is the reverse in UK).

It seems they are happy to have their basketball program perhaps treading water a bit above average, making some big time TV games while focusing on the bigger picture, which is football.

Otherwise I see no reason for signing the great orange one to a long term 6 year deal.

Is this what KY fans want UT to do? :whistling:

Many fans like Pearl as a coach. You are hearing from a very small group that do not.

Many fans like Pearl as a coach. You are hearing from a very small group that do not.

I like him as a PR guy for the university and the results really. But as a coach he does nothing for me. His half court offense is what I ran in high school.

VN Store

Back