Recruiting Football Talk VII

Why do we feel the constant need to compare people or ourselves to others? Caitlin Clark is an amazing women's basketball player and should be celebrated for her amazing collegiate career, that isn't even over by the way. She still has several games to play. Why does comparing her to someone from a different sport in a different era of the game make her achievements more amazing or valid?
Because some people latently feel like "women's" (fill in the blank) somehow makes it less of an achievement and they subconsciously need to make a false comparison to give the achievement "true" value?

Just spit-balling here. Work with me.

It says relative to her peers. So it’s hard to argue hes wrong. Does that mean she’s better than lebron or Jokic? Of course not. But in same sense that doesn’t mean Floyd Mayweather isn’t one of the best pound for pound boxers ever just cuz he’d get his ass kicked by Ali or Tyson

Just like Serena Williams, compared to her peers one of if not the best athletes of this generation
1709576237845.png

* Relative to her peers...

Reactions: franklinpence
Guys you want to know something?

We have a better resume than Arizona and it's not actually that close.

Yes they have 8 quad 1 wins to our 6. However, only four of those wins were against teams that would he in the tournament field if it started today. @Duke (N)Michigan St (H)Wisconsin and (N)Bama

Colorado, Utah and Oregon are NIT teams. Colorado and Utah could play their way in, but as of now they are out and Colorado's resume is incredibly fraudulent.

To only have FOUR big wins and losses to Oregon St and Stanford and be so firmly on the 1 line is just absolute BS.

How about the Vols? 6 quad one wins, all against teams in the field plus a quad 2 win over Florida and they will be in the dance.

@bama (H)Bama (H)Auburn (H)Florida (H)Illinois @Wisconsin @kentucky

We have 7 great wins to their 4. Three of them were road games while only one of theirs was on the road. They have two really bad losses to teams with losing records and we don't.

Same number of wins and losses, our schedule has been harder, we have better wins and better losses. There is just bs bias happening, or no one has decided to actually asses both resumes. UNC should be ahead of Arizona too.
Wasn’t Illinois on the road? How is Florida quad 2 and they are ranked?

The greatest stadium ever. Don’t @ me.

View attachment 624739
We had a whiffle ball field similar to this that we played home run derby on. We had some epic games. Played with plastic golf balls with holes and sawed off broom sticks for bats. Outdoor folding chair was the strike zone.

Last edited:
You know you're absolutely correct. Maybe I should live in the world of absolute misery like everyone else does.
Nah believe I will pass on that.
Notice that I made no comment regarding you being overconfident. I discussed the players. Players being that overconfident can set the team up for a loss. Fans being overconfident is irrelevant.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

Yikes. No way she is best athlete in America.

In what world is Caitlin better than Jokic!!!

Not to mention Ohtani who may be the best athlete on the planet - pretty hard to throw baseball 90+ and hit one 400 ft+ … Also Patty Mahomes has no business on this list…

Yikes. No way she is best athlete in America.

In what world is Caitlin better than Jokic!!!

Not to mention Ohtani who may be the best athlete on the planet - pretty hard to throw baseball 90+ and hit one 400 ft+ … Also Patty Mahomes has no business on this list…
It probably would have been more truthful/better to have just posited her as "America's most competitive athlete within their own sport" as opposed to making a brash declaration that is made all but meaningless by its clarifying caveat.

What a fruitcake. It’s just like when Annika Sorenstam was dominating women’s golf, so everybody thought it was a good idea for her to try her hand on the men’s tour. Didn’t fair so well. Let’s not cross compare, can she just get her accolades as a good WOMENs college basketball player, geez.

Well I think the list isn't about sheer athleticism (obviously) but who has been the best in their sport lately.

So the list is probably objectively correct right now.
But it also completely leaves out a ton of sports, despite him claiming "these are the best across any sport"

No Messi? No Katie Ledecky? Akari Fujinami (a Japanese female wrestler who hasn't lost a match since high school (111-0) and 2 Golds in World Championships.

It's just lazy American sports commentary riding the hot news cycle.

VN Store

Back