DK is the best Tennessee player of the 3 point line era

He actually reminds me most of Houston. He’s the best since Houston, that’s for sure. But Houston was on some terrible teams.
I tell my kids all the time about the Houston/O’Neill/Petersen, eras , trying to out the current state of the program in context and help them know my/our suffering. I tell them about how I was one of a few kids who was into Vol bball in late 80’s and 90’s when all the sheep were about Vol football and Duke basketball. I still remember their names .

Richardson having a solid career

It’s a shame JR didn’t win more when he was here. He was legit all we had in Tyndall’s lone season, but there were a lot of pieces on Cuonzo’s teams. Glad he did get to be a part of a Sweet Sixteen team. One of the better two way perimeter players we’ve had.

I posted this in the game thread but DK is definitely one of the best players I have witnessed in a UT jersey. He is a generational talent and there is nothing wrong with saying that. While he doesn’t have the longevity of the players named above, I am enjoying this year and can’t wait to see how far this team goes. Ultimately, that will determine his final legacy.

You lost me with Yarbrough and Tyler Smith.
I’ll concede T.Smith on the fact he didn’t play enough but he was an incredibly versatile player. But Yarbrough was an all around animal that wouldve had even better numbers than he has if not for being handcuffed by a shoot first point guard and a bad coach. If I had to guess, He may be in the top 5 or 10 all time in every major stat (PT’s, Rbs, ast, steals, blocks)

Reactions: Volfan1000
Michael Brooks not bad either, but couldn’t take advantage of the 3 point line. Damn sure acknowledge that DK is special and does not come along often if ever
I’m with you Caz! I forgot about Brooks and Reggie J! Also should mention Nix, Slay, and Watson.

Reactions: Caz
I go all the way back to the Ernie and Bernie Show. Bernard King is the best all around player I’ve ever seen at UT if you include offense, defense and rebounding. Knecht is the best offensive player I’ve seen since King and he’s certainly a better outside shooter than King was. Bernard was just so tough around the basket even against bigger players. Allan Houston was a great offensive player and very smooth but Knecht is a more explosive athlete and can hurt you in more ways from all three levels. Just a guess but I think Knecht goes in the top 10 of the draft.

I don't care if he's only been here one year.

I challenge anyone to post an example of a former UT player that could absolutely take over the game like DK has on multiple occasions, at least in the modern era. No disrespect to Houston, Williams, Lofton, or Harris... all great in their own ways.

Side note: Ellis and King were before my time, so not comparing them, as I don't have a good handle on their impact.

Seriously: he hit a couple of shots tonight in his streak from well beyond the stripe with a hand in his face (and hitting his arm) that didn't even graze the rim.

And that's not unusual.

Reactions: Voltopia
Houston stat padded on bad teams for 4 seasons. Great player, but realistically nowhere near some of the SEC greats he might have better numbers than.
I agree he was in bad teams but it’s hard to pad your stats when every coach, player, and probably the kids that wipe the floor are game planning to stop you imho. I guess Barkley, Person, Wilkins, etc we’re padding theirs as well?

Last edited:
I tell them about how I was one of a few kids who was into Vol bball in late 80’s and 90’s when all the sheep were about Vol football and Duke basketball. I still remember their names .

Lol, I have multiple diehard Vol friends who all grew up in the 80s and 90s with me, who all have the same "but I root for Duke in basketball" thing going on.

What really shocked me about some of them though was - even after Pearl brought UT to life, they still stuck with Duke. Oh, they'd watch Tennessee's games, but they cared about Duke more. Even now, with Barnes and UT being a serious name in the game, most of them are still "but I root for Duke in basketball." The weirdest thing. I can't understand it. I know how lean those years were, but it never occurred to me to just switch to another school like that.

I guess it depends on who you’re talking about. Houston could have been the best player on almost any team he went to. “Stat padded” is an interesting way to out it since he was almost always the junky threat an opposing team had to worry about. It’s not like he was out there scoring on chumps with the benefit of teammates that an opposing defense had to focus on.
Exactly right

Reactions: VolCalls
I meant top 20, my bad. I think he probably will. I think saying he will definitely be a lottery pick is outrageous. Some mocks have him going as low as 28. I think he could sneak into top 15 but I’d expect 17 or so, which is outstanding. I don’t get why that Kansas dude is projected above Knecht.
This draft will provide a lot of variance in mock drafts because there’s no clear cut elite talent in this class. I could definitely see him sneaking into the lottery. He is long and bouncy enough where his age shouldn’t play a big factor on his stock

I don't care if he's only been here one year.

I challenge anyone to post an example of a former UT player that could absolutely take over the game like DK has on multiple occasions, at least in the modern era. No disrespect to Houston, Williams, Lofton, or Harris... all great in their own ways.

Side note: Ellis and King were before my time, so not comparing them, as I don't have a good handle on their impact.
They both could take over games as well, especially King. But I’m not sure I recall anything like we saw tonight. My old brain has a hard time remembering individual games from King’s career but he was unstoppable at times.

So you think Tobias’ 15 & 7 is better than DK’s 20 & 5?
Not better I just wanted to mention that for an 18yo kid to do that in SEC was pretty amazing. No telling what his numbers may have been as a 22yo man
Ron Slay's 21pt 8 rebound SEC player of the year season was pretty special. He did it all that season.
He absolutely deserves a mention. Man those teams were loaded.
He was 2x SEC player of the year wasn’t he ?

I love DK but there's a lot of recency bias at play and it's easy to get caught up after a game like tonight.

We've had some great players since BK left.

Tony White was absolutely amazing. He averaged 24.5ppg his senior season and did it on better percentages from the field and ft line than DK. White was 49% from the field, 41.2 from 3, and 90% from the ft line that season. He was explosive as heck and could drop 50 in a game. His junior year was actually better than his senior year but he averaged two less ppg because he didn't have the 3pt line that year.

Houston averaged more for his career than DK is this season. He did so with absolutely no threat from his teammates and as the one guy everyone focused on every game.

Dale Ellis was a monster. 60 percent from the field for his career. He ended up as the all time NBA 3 point leader. He may have averaged 30 a game here with the 3.

Then you have Grant, Slay, Lofton etc who all won SEC POY or even multiple P.O.Y awards.

Houston was probably the best perimeter scorer ever at UT. He didn’t attack the rim all that often (he didn’t need to) but he could slice up the paint as well. He wasn’t as physical and he was often unstoppable toeing up to the 3PL. He also had one of the best shots of any TN Vol. Michael Brooks. Mike Edwards. Lofton and White were a bit unorthodox but very effective.

Last edited:
Not many UT players were as good at knocking down free throws as Houston. Jimmy England was better. Bill Justus was at Houston’s level. Lofton and White had similar career FT%s.

Michael Brooks was another 85% career FT shooter.

Great shooters and great FT shooting goes hand in hand.

I watched the Bernie/Ernie season. Ernie was great at all 3 levels similar to Knecht.

My "All UT" team since the 70's :
Ernie
Bernie
Houston
Knecht
(Grant/Lofton/Ellis tie)

honorable mention: CJ, Chism, JR

He is the most complete player that we’ve ever had…period. Shoots and scores from outside with ease. He can literally drive to the basket whenever he damn well pleases and cannot be stopped. I wish we had him for more than one season. He’s a generational player
Not EVER. Since the 3 pt line era?

VN Store

Back