Vols 6th in AP Poll

Memphis being in the top 10 is not something I saw coming after Penny’s first few seasons.
They're one of the teams with the biggest gap between the polls and the metrics. 68 in Torvik, 45 in Kenpom, 39 in NET. I think they'll get enough Q1 wins to be fine with the selection committee but they may not get a seed that matches with their poll ranking.

Memphis being in the top 10 is not something I saw coming after Penny’s first few seasons.
Not because of anything Hardaway is doing imo, the difference has been the Stansbury hire. He is increasingly appearing to be the de facto head coach. He’s the one who secured Jones and Tomlin from the portal as well. Jones has been a huge difference maker for them along with Quinerly. And with their marshmallow schedule in the AAC I wouldn’t expect them to lose any more games for a while.

Need to get Deion and Penny lane together for an ego fest....oh my....they were kind keepin' Vols at 6th.

Last edited:
Not because of anything Hardaway is doing imo, the difference has been the Stansbury hire. He is increasingly appearing to be the de facto head coach. He’s the one who secured Jones and Tomlin from the portal as well. Jones has been a huge difference maker for them along with Quinerly. And with their marshmallow schedule in the AAC I wouldn’t expect them to lose any more games for a while.

Keen observation! Stansbury..

I looked at Memphis schedule. They have beaten almost every team that has underachieved. Arky, TAM, UVA. Their best win looks like Clemson who is not in the Top 25 anymore. Overall their conference is weak besides FAU. Besides Houston, they are the only team ranked in the Top 10 that hasn't faced a current or previously ranked Top 10 team so far.

Tennessee has good wins against Wisconsin and Illinois. When 3 of your 4 losses is against the 2nd,3rd,and 4th ranked teams in the country,things could be a lot worse. #6 is a great ranking and I think they'll be alright.

Besides not being happy about the MSU loss, we're about where we should be.

I watch every Memphis game and all his interviews. He is humble in all of them. Gives credit to the staff and players before himself. Nothing about Penny makes me think arrogant or ego. I've done my due diligence on this one
I’ve been around Penny some. Had a very close friend on his staff for 3 years. Few other connections. Humble …isn’t a word I think of when I first think of PH. He CLEARLY should thank his staff…especially Stansberry. Best move the AD made when he hired Stansberry…one of the best strategists in the game…IMO.

Last edited:
I watch every Memphis game and all his interviews. He is humble in all of them. Gives credit to the staff and players before himself. Nothing about Penny makes me think arrogant or ego. I've done my due diligence on this one
Profanity laced rants in pressers and heaving water bottles across the court after a loss are not my idea of a mature person in a position to set the example for young athletes.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back