Bama's new coach named - Kalen DeBoer

Saban was the huge draw for AL. I imagine with him gone, UGA will have their pick of the litter and the rest will filter out over the rest of the SEC. I think we have a good shot at getting some big recruits, though. We'll be on a huge upward trend. I feel like some championships are in our future.

It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. I personally think that whoever got the job would be out after 3-4 years. It’s really hard to follow a legend and the boosters and fan base have been spoiled rotten. We’ll find out how patient they are. He doesn’t seem to have the recruiting chops that Saban had, but he’s a program builder. Also no ties to the south or the SEC which could be difficult initially.

Reactions: kcvols1
Let’s see how he does recruiting and coaching in the SEC. How many hostile road environments did he face in the PAC 12? Because it’s every one of them (besides Vandy) in the SEC. Year 1, he’s going to Madison (OOC), Norman, Knoxville, Death Valley plus UGA at home. Insane gauntlet.

Did he maximize Penix or vice versa?
I personally think Lanning was a better candidate just by having coached under Saban at Bama.
Lanning is a great coach, but I don’t think ties with Saban will help the new hire. I know Saban’s top choice was the man they hired. De Boer does a lot more with a lot less.

I disagree. He seems like a good coach. But Sark/Lanning was the best possible scatter scenario for them, imo.

But as I continually say, it doesn't matter who they hire. They probably won't be there in 4 years.
If you’re continually saying that, someone should restart you.

De Boer has more wins against talent than any coach. He beat Lanning twice with lesser players.

Sark and Kiffin weren’t even contacted.

Lanning is a great coach, but I don’t think ties with Saban will help the new hire. I know Saban’s top choice was the man they hired. De Boer does a lot more with a lot less.
Exactly. This guy beat Lanning twice this year, wins everywhere he's been, and maximizes talent. It's not like Washington had a top 15 ranking. Penix helped, but he'll be able to pull 5 start talent more frequently than when he was with Washington. Me personally, he was the only one I did not want them to hire. Hope I'm wrong

Guess he wanted the SEC over playing in the Big 10...12...16 or whatever the hell it is now.

You come to Bama and you are pretty much assured you will be in the playoffs...Washington in the Big 10 not so much.

Probably true, but not exactly a move-the-needle, sit-up-and-take notice hire.

VN Store

Back