The Official #5 Tennessee @ Mississippi State Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network

It was a really bad decision, especially considering it was after a timeout.

To be fair it seemed any time Tennessee had a chance to take the lead someone took terrible shot or dumb turnover.
They did. We easily should’ve won. That’s what’s frustrating but it’s 1 loss in the road. Grand scheme no biggie.

tied or within a bucket several times at the end but couldn't take the lead. Both teams only had 2 players that were going to take the shot. We couldn't stop theirs and they stopped ours. That was the difference. Beat Georgia and then we head back home.

As physical as a game that was, there's no reason they out shot us by like 10 or more at the line. Ridiculous. Win or lose, Barnes should have taken a T.
Yep, both teams were physical but if you say anything about the free throw differential you’ll be called out by the holier than crowd that sucks up to refs.

I agree. ZZ was phenomenal until the last minute. We kept composure and recovered from 15 down. With Aidoo out we couldn’t cover Smith or score down low. It’s hard to win on the road. I expect more offense from Santi and JJJ, but everyone has off nights. Seeing Knecht bounce back and drive well in traffic is a great piece of news. Obviously a bit of a lazy game from the refs, but satisfying to see us play a composed second half.

We just cannot rely on guys that miss wide open shots and layups.

Tell me what this team has that makes you think they will. No depth at the 5. Santi and JJJ play to much. But hey let's continue to recruit top 100 players and let them ride the bench for guys who've had 5 years to show they haven't improved the last 4.
I thought MSU would be our toughest game in January. I still believe that. Sorry it’s not all roses. It’s a tough conference and much tougher away. We’re a good team that will continue to do well.

I’m just so frustrated. We’ve now absolutely wasted two elite Dalton Knecht performances. Just flashbacks to last year where at the U4 timeout in road games we couldn’t even close if it was close.

Very frustrating. A horrible 22 minutes of basketball game gave MSU the game. Extremely frustrating and inexplicable for us to now have two huge road games where nobody (minus ZZ) shows up for the first half.

Well, not a bad loss on the road. I'm not even upset. Kenpom had MSU at # 30 before this game. Proud of the fight in the 2nd half and we didn't wither after getting smacked around in the 1st half. I still like this team alot and we can learn from this effort. Goal is to get everyone contributing consistently. Full court press and up tempo got us back into the game when MSU bullied us in the halfcourt.

ZZ was incredible all game (26 pts and 7 assists) but took some questionable deep shots early late in the game. Knecht showed us what he is capable of again and really is the key player for a deep run later in the year. When he gets on a run, it is a thing of beauty. Needed 2 of those FTs that he missed late however, but otherwise everyone who was giving him grief on this thread in the 1st half.....he made look stupid. 28 pts/6 rebounds/3 steals/1 assist and only 1 TO.

Officials didn't help but too be expected on the road. It is what it is. Next up is Georgia in Athens.

VN Store

Back