Vols #17 in final AP poll.

The good news is that right now, the Vols are better than at least 5 teams ranked ahead of them. That is very encouraging. I'd even like their chances against Bama and Missouri again....

These rankings are somewhat of a joke. Just because Georgia didn't make the college football playoffs don't mean they are #4. It doesn't add up if they still have Florida State ranked #8 after giving up about 9 touchdowns. Oklahoma State ranking is a farce as well. These ranking don't mean much at this point anyway.

Great end to the season, we finished about where i expected after the bowl win. I expect we start next year in the top15. Unless we fix our OL we will struggle against the better competition on our schedule next year.
Well if our opponents have a better defense than Iowa it's a good chance we struggle. I don't see us running into those types of defenses on a regular, even with our schedule. UGA and Bama will be the closest comparable defenses.

Reactions: VolBricks
The good news is that right now, the Vols are better than at least 5 teams ranked ahead of them. That is very encouraging. I'd even like their chances against Bama and Missouri again....
Luckily we only play one of them next year.

These rankings are somewhat of a joke. Just because Georgia didn't make the college football playoffs don't mean they are #4. It doesn't add up if they still have Florida State ranked #8 after giving up about 9 touchdowns. Oklahoma State ranking is a farce as well. These ranking don't mean much at this point anyway.
Yeah, when you consider how many players sat out of the bowl games because they going pro or the portal, I can't see how they can place teams by rank unless they got one hella software that can factor in what each player meant to their respective teams and how much their absence hurt them. Rankings today are kind of a joke much like the bowl games have become.

I hate Georgia, but they were the best team in 2023.

Solid end to a year. I think next year if we can finish around the same we should be poised for a National Championship run come Nico’s Sophmore-Junior year. I look forward to it for sure!!
so much will depend on the transfer portal and recruiting IMO to get there

going to need to redo most of the oline for one

I also wonder if Heupel will ever be willing to fire an assistant to get someone better

It doesn’t matter, but I don’t quite get Ok State moving up 6 spots for beating ATM by 1 score.
I’m presuming it’s related to the 6 teams above them losing (those 6 teams ahead of them in the previous AP poll were Louisville (10-4, Loss 42-28), SMU (11-3, Lost 23-14), Liberty (13-1, Loss 45-6), NC State (10-4, Loss 28-19), Iowa (10-4, Loss 35-0), and Oregon State (8-5, Loss 40-8)).

considering it was a "down year" a final ranking of 17 is not bad.

If Nico starts lighting them up next year like the bowl game and we can get receivers to catch and OL to protect. Next year we will surely be in the 12 man playoffs. Not sure we have talent to be able to reload with Georgia, etc for the top slot but anything is possible - and if CJH gets us in the playoffs every year, what a major improvement we have made from the dumpster fire we were in.

VN Store

Back