When will we see teams refusing to play?

GoVols9800

Serious question….when we see large number of athletes refusing to play because of money? For example we are seeing positions like QB, WR, DL making the high NIL dollar amounts. Will we ever see entire units like offensive linemen, kickers, etc. make a statement about the huge gap? They practice just as much, work as hard and don’t reap the benefits. If this has already been discussed frequently, please forgive me.

Reactions: Golf freak
Lets hope things don't get to that level but I do agree that if some restrictions or changes, not a $ cap, are not put on the NIL program, getting out of control is a real possibility. Who knows what that means.

Reactions: alavolfan
Serious question….when we see large number of athletes refusing to play because of money? For example we are seeing positions like QB, WR, DL making the high NIL dollar amounts. Will we ever see entire units like offensive linemen, kickers, etc. make a statement about the huge gap? They practice just as much, work as hard and don’t reap the benefits. If this has already been discussed frequently, please forgive me.
Players will need to understand (and I think they probably do) that some positions get paid more. Just like in the NFL positions like QB, OT and DE are getting rewarded the most in the NIL world. If a place kicker is upset he’s not making as much as the QB, he’s not paying attention to the way the football world works

Lets hope things don't get to that level but I do agree that if some restrictions or changes, not a $ cap, are not put on the NIL program, getting out of control is a real possibility. Who knows what that means.
I’d be interested in “restrictions” that would prove legal. Until colleges give up this farcical myth of student athletes in a multibillion dollar industry and share the loot, athletes will get theirs in NIL.

OP, do you mean like a player strike for all the players that aren't making any money? That is an interesting concept.

Reactions: GoVols9800
I agree, it's a legit concern. It's turning into professional football, and should be treated as such. At some point, there will be salary caps, contracts, transfer limits, etc. There has to be.

It's probably going to happen

Reactions: GoVols9800
You're worrying about this too much
Maybe he isn't. After decades of massive success it seems like college football is facing an existential threat. We have portal havoc, players getting paid, and historic conferences dissolving all at the same time. I'm sure everything will be fine, but it's going to be different. Some governing body has to grab the reins and sort through this so we'll have a fair and reasonable path forward for everyone involved.

I have thought about this and even mentioned it in a post weeks ago. It's already happened to a lesser degree just last year when Banks caused the dust up late in the season and didn't play a game. Folks are acting like this can't or won't happen, but just a few years ago we'd never thought that players would be getting paid ( above the table ) to play. Nothing would surprise me anymore now that we've introduced money and the portal into the game. I can't wait till a player transfers while a game is going on, changes jersey during half time and plays for the opponents

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Hopefully soon….the world loves chaos.

No restrictions will ever hold up in court. You can’t restrict someone’s ability to earn money on the free market.

Maybe they’ll start putting incentives into NIL deals for bowl games? Not sure if that’s something they can do or not

Maybe they’ll start putting incentives into NIL deals for bowl games? Not sure if that’s something they can do or not
They can’t do that for a NIL deal. However, once players become employees, then schools could write language into a contract that would require participation in all post season games.

They can’t do that for a NIL deal. However, once players become employees, then schools could write language into a contract that would require participation in all post season games.

Why can’t they? A player’s likeness is more valuable with more exposure. The contract is supposed to be between the 3rd party collective and the player so why couldn’t there be a ballon payment made after meeting all expectations (including participating in the post season)?

Reactions: onthehill71
No restrictions will ever hold up in court. You can’t restrict someone’s ability to earn money on the free market.
Sure you can. Companies have non-compete clauses, limitations on outside employment by employees, and restrictions on running a side business that could be awarded contracts with the company.

Never.

Seen Missouri win last night with no opt outs. Their player said brothehood. Lane Kiffen like him or not said basically never seen a game where there was free agency during the season. NIL and portal going to make this game only about money. You will have 10 ish good teams every year. Teams who spend the most. Go Vols

Reactions: MaTaLa and volfeeva

VN Store

Back