Recruiting Football Talk VII

At this point I'd say OL is still a concern, secondary we have the talent/players just don't have much experience.

Crawford, Dayne, Lampley, Lane are all gone

Cooper & Spraggins could return, but haven't announced

So you bring back Campbell, Mincey, and Karic who started some last year... the rest of the guys left are inexperienced and young

Lang - Freshman
Bussell - Freshman
Shamurad - Freshman
Grant - RS Freshman
Reddick - RS Freshman
Johnson III - Sophomore

I mean none of the above except Sham were high rated guys so how sure are we that they're ready to contribute next year?
Based on this argument, it is exactly why you crush the portal for DBs. Who knows what we have in the young secondary and we lost more there than the OL. And even with all the losses, we were playing a walk on at nickel to end the year. We need a lot of DBs even if the young ones turn out ok as we get hit there every season with injuries.

They say Cooper is....

Yeah if Cooper and/or Spraggins both return then I'd be shocked if they bring in a transfer OL guy.

But we've had poor secondary play for 3 years, still able to win. I think the talent and speed in the younger guys will help overcome their lack of experience so I'm not too concerned unless you can land an obvious day 1 starter. But we need the OL to be good/great in Nico's first year with replacing our 2 previous starting RBs and breaking in new TEs.

Reactions: jlawso21 and DD4ME
This season will have no bearing on next year as we are turning over the entire secondary of the past three years. There is some talent in the underclassmen. Heck Boo may start at corner or safety next year.
All unproven talent. Our OL likely returns 4 starters. That would make it way less of an issue than an entire secondary losing it’s starters

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Florida will hardly be on my radar once they rotate off the permanent schedule. That rivalry hasn’t really meant anything since the mid-2000s, anyway.

It’s better for us if they become just another SEC team that we play from time to time.

And it appears that’s what it will be going forward, and I am fine with it. They won’t make the cut for a hypothetical 1-3 permanent opponent list, if the SEC opts for it after 2024. The same goes for Georgia and South Carolina.

I may not be logical, but if Nico can be 90% of what Hooker was I think we can make a playoff.
I'm not agreeing with Jack, I think a championship is in the realm of possibility. But it depends on a lot of things coming together. That said, making a 12-team playoff and actually being in contention for a championship are two different things.

I read we saved 4.6 million. 12.6 million buyout - 8 million in fines (not even sure that includes expenses/billable hours). I wanted Pruitt fired as much as the next guy, but what exactly did he do that lacked integrity? Firing him in the circus show way we did set an extremely high bar for college administration stupidity.
How was our firing him in anyway a circus show? Dude Pruitt was turning our university into a clown show. Putting money in Chick Fil a bags? The idiot didn’t even know how to cheat right. How would you have fired him?

Reactions: Volunteer821
I'm not agreeing with Jack, I think a championship is in the realm of possibility. But it depends on a lot of things coming together. That said, making a 12-team playoff and actually being in contention for a championship are two different things.
We know... we suck

He should. Their schedule is a joke

Also tho, how’s he recruiting? Have they landed anyone noteworthy? Or just had visits?
They're 20th in recruiting. They did nab Kam Franklin, who we were pursuing. They landed Chris Paul from the transfer portal. He was the top-rated LB in the portal. Also got a commitment from Key Lawrence. He's using the portal to try and retool his defense. We'll see where he ends up. I can't stand the guy, but he's making moves.

They're 20th in recruiting. They did nab Kam Franklin, who we were pursuing. They landed Chris Paul from the transfer portal. He was the top-rated LB in the portal. Also got a commitment from Key Lawrence. He's using the portal to try and retool his defense. We'll see where he ends up. I can't stand the guy, but he's making moves.
The portal is not going to make a championship team, championship teams supplement with the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volunteer821
Let's hope he takes up the art of joke telling and can work you in his schedule.
cbb2-cbbus2.gif

Coaches have managed to get almost everybody back they wanted so it looks like they'll focus on a plug and play WR, TE, safety, corner and edge rusher, plus depth along the lines. Think there's lingering concern about Karic at LG, and with Nichols gone, that's something to address. It looked like they would take two TEs, and they still might, but probably not two higher profile guys.

VN Store

Back