Recruiting diminishing returns under Heupel's system?

tennesseekilt

First of all, I realize this is a Georgia media guy of some sort, so we have to automatically take what he says with a grain of salt for a lot of reasons. However, I'm also wondering if there is any sort of grain of truth to what he says. If the answer is 'no,' please explain your rationale with something besides a blanket dismissal or blind trust. My instinct is that he's wrong as well, but I want to know some solid reasons for why that's the case.

Here's a link to the first tweet (there are several). For those of you on the platform, probably worth looking at the responses and some of his answers to those.

And for those of you who don't Twitter, here is what he says:

The ironic part of Tennessee beginning to recruit well is that Tennessee is running a system that is designed to dramatically lessen the need for talent at OT and QB… It’s a law of diminishing returns. Over time, Heupel will actually be minimizing the talent advantage he’s built

I see UT fans don’t understand…

Guess what guys? The best way to use blue-chips isn’t to run a offense with 4 patterns in the tree. There’s a reason nobody is running the old Baylor stuff anymore. If the Vols recruit 5* OL one day, Heupel’s system will hold back their potential

There is a reason that teams with elite lines aren’t hiring someone to run this offense for them. Good DL’s have shredded it for 20 yrs.

You don’t like hearing it, but if UT starts to recruit like an elite program you’ll soon find yourselves calling for changes in the scheme

There’s a lot of you going the “you don’t understand Heupel’s offense” route… I promise you I do. That’s why I picked UT to lose by 21 in Athens last fall

One could also say that with better talent you can run the system better with even more explosive plays 🤷‍♂️

Everyone is just scared that Tennessee is back. Georgia finally got to the mountaintop and they are threatened by us. They are going to say anything to diminish our program. And it’s funny they bring up the OL because we literally just had one drafted top 10 😂

Nearly any team is going to have trouble beating UGA in a pure rock fight with recruiting talent, so I don't see his point.

The system has worked so far, when it doesn't then tweak it, but I really find it ironic taking advice from someone whose state allows it to be one of the most talent rich in the nation on the topic of maximizing returns.

Makes zero sense. Better players will amplify the system. If it helps equalize the playing field for teams with less skill, it will separate teams with equal skill. That's the spread offense in general, not just the Veer N Shoot. The system helps OL by having closer splits. They won't have Jalen Carter every year.

Nobody else runs Baylor's system because it's not a traditional way of thinking, just like everyone use to run I Formation and thought Spread was a gimmick.

We were outgunned by UGA last year and their fanbase operating off of a collective singular brain cell is trying to make it out to be them shutting the offense down like they've figured it out.

Deliberate (hate to use this word due to political misuse) misinformation. Pseudo intellectuals with an investment in UGA, Bama and other traditional programs with no schematic answers to Heupel’s baby are desperately trying to gaslight in an attempt to get ahead of it. Interesting it’s posted after Matthews picked UT. 😏

IMO, I think he is claiming that Hyp's offense is a gimmick and the NFL does not run a offense like this so elite QB's and OL are not inclined to come to TN to play in this system. OL have to be great at pass protection in this system which is a must for the NFL. And if he thinks putting up big passing numbers does not get the NFL's attention he is full of crap.

This past NFL draft has already debunked his article.

First of all, I realize this is a Georgia media guy of some sort, so we have to automatically take what he says with a grain of salt for a lot of reasons. However, I'm also wondering if there is any sort of grain of truth to what he says. If the answer is 'no,' please explain your rationale with something besides a blanket dismissal or blind trust. My instinct is that he's wrong as well, but I want to know some solid reasons for why that's the case.

Here's a link to the first tweet (there are several). For those of you on the platform, probably worth looking at the responses and some of his answers to those.

The ironic part of Tennessee beginning to recruit well is that Tennessee is running a system that is designed to dramatically lessen the need for talent at OT and QB… It’s a law of diminishing returns. Over time, Heupel will actually be minimizing the talent advantage he’s built

Guess what guys? The best way to use blue-chips isn’t to run a offense with 4 patterns in the tree. There’s a reason nobody is running the old Baylor stuff anymore. If the Vols recruit 5* OL one day, Heupel’s system will hold back their potential

There is a reason that teams with elite lines aren’t hiring someone to run this offense for them. Good DL’s have shredded it for 20 yrs.

You don’t like hearing it, but if UT starts to recruit like an elite program you’ll soon find yourselves calling for changes in the scheme

There’s a lot of you going the “you don’t understand Heupel’s offense” route… I promise you I do. That’s why I picked UT to lose by 21 in Athens last fall

Darnell Wright says hello.

They are concerned or they wouldn't bother to mention anything. Not being able to have an elite defense is dumb. An elite defense will get you off the field fast if they stop the other team to 3 and out..

Reactions: VolPack22
That is a stupid argument. Every system runs better with better players. It’s always been about the jimmy’s and joes and that isn’t about to change. I think he’s actually saying that elite players won’t reach their true potential here because the system doesn’t require them to actually advance to a higher level. I don’t agree. If you are an elite athlete with some intelligence you can figure out a new system. This guy is saying that 3-4 years in Heupel’s system will turn these players into mental midgets and Tennessee doesn’t need elite guy’s cause it’s so easy that cave folk could do it. Nope. At the end of the day he’s just a fan of another program that is butt hurt because an elite player went to another team.

What's being used to determine a "top 15 defense"? Scoring, yards, turnovers, time of possession? The #1 goal for a defense should be to stop the other team from scoring.

Tennessee's much criticized defense was 30th in scoring defense in 2022. For comparison, UGA was 5th behind Air Force, Illinois, Iowa and Minnesota.

I'll worry about that when we do have a talent advantage on all other SEC teams

Last edited:
Reactions: Teeman

VN Store

Back