NFL executive says former Vols WR Jalin Hyatt is 'naive'

Though I'm not one who thought Hyatt was the best receiver in college football (and for his sake, I wish he had not won the Biletnikoff Award), it's not about where you start, but where you finish.

My only concerns with the labels "naive" and "arrogant" are if they mean he does not seek out and listen to people who know, who have been there, who can prepare him in ways he cannot prepare himself. Those traits never bode well for success in anything.

Peyton Manning was arrogant--in the cocky, self-assured meaning--but it was widely reported that he was always asking questions, always seeking advice from different perspectives, whether from Pat Summit or from NFL announcers.

Sometimes "naive" is simply a trust issue turned sideways.

Learn from everyone, Jalin. Don't worry about how you appear. You have tons of supporters wishing you every success in life!
Winning the Belitnikoff will never be a hindrance to a career…it’s immaterial towards what he accomplishes at this next stage. And to be upfront, Ohio State players have a long history of getting individual awards when the Vols have the better player. Two examples: In 2003, BJ Sander walked away with the Ray Guy when Dustin Colquitt outperformed him in every category. And in 2008, Malcolm Jenkins absconded with what should have been the first of two straight Jim Thorpes won by Eric Berry. Sander wasn’t a successful NFL punter but Malcom Jenkins had a very good career tho nowhere near Berry’s level.

I remember the Dustin debacle. Like Johnny Majors and the Heisman all over again!

I think winning the Biletnikoff gave Hyatt a sense of recognition that works against him. I think he was just maturing as a player (in terms of work, prep, attention to details). To have come in second in the voting would have both encouraged him and spurred him.

Obviously, I'm forming an opinion from a great distance and only a few interviews, but I've always gotten a strong vibe from him.

Pretty much makes me an expert on a sports forum!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I remember the Dustin debacle. Like Johnny Majors and the Heisman all over again!

I think winning the Biletnikoff gave Hyatt a sense of recognition that works against him. I think he was just maturing as a player (in terms of work, prep, attention to details). To have come in second in the voting would have both encouraged him and spurred him.

Obviously, I'm forming an opinion from a great distance and only a few interviews, but I've always gotten a strong vibe from him.

Pretty much makes me an expert on a sports forum!
To come in second after doing everything possible to be recognized would have only soured him imo. Winning the top receiver award a season after a mediocre effort showed him what hard work and dedication can accomplish. If he doesn’t succeed at the next level it won’t be from laziness.

There's a LOT of STUPID "NFL Executives"...

washington-redskins-harassment-daniel-snyder-punishment-report.jpg
That one would have to study hours a day for months just to get to stupid.

Reactions: MackDaddyVol
...and the Cowboys are not amongst the group of well run organizations if priority is placed on being a great team (winning) rather than simply the value of the organization. The Cowboys ownership and executive team can market. They just can't build a championship level football team.
Because their owner is an egomaniac and ran off the good coaches that worked for him in favor of yes men. He’s the least self-aware human on the planet. There probably isn’t a single football fan at this point, at least among those who have even the most basic knowledge of the sport, that has any respect at all for him.

I mean… I think when you are at a job interview you do your best to have some humility… everything is a test for these nfl guys. Reaction, demeanor, presence all matters. The second I saw that cowboys coach interview i said “welp that’s not good”
it’s the NFL.. the best job in the world.. be humble when answering questions no matter what they are
Why do you want a humble wide receiver? He's got to have absolute faith in his ability to beat the guy across from him. I want a wide receiver who is driven to prove he's the best player on the field.

Though I'm not one who thought Hyatt was the best receiver in college football (and for his sake, I wish he had not won the Biletnikoff Award), it's not about where you start, but where you finish.

My only concerns with the labels "naive" and "arrogant" are if they mean he does not seek out and listen to people who know, who have been there, who can prepare him in ways he cannot prepare himself. Those traits never bode well for success in anything.

Peyton Manning was arrogant--in the cocky, self-assured meaning--but it was widely reported that he was always asking questions, always seeking advice from different perspectives, whether from Pat Summit or from NFL announcers.

Learn from everyone, Jalin. Don't worry about how you appear. You have tons of supporters wishing you every success in life!
Tell us, what would be the benefit to him had he not won the Biletnikoff?

Y'all got to get AtoZ out of your browser's history.
Any sports journalist who can get these kinds of details but can only says sources, an owner, an executive, or a coach said this but not a single one is verifiable or attributable by name, then it's BS.
Hyatt did nothing during his time here to indicate that he would fit the naive or arrogant label. I will trust his earned reputation instead of the made up ego-maniac persona he is alleged to have.

IMO you are reading too much into a ridiculous article that is more than likely made up from whole cloth. IE..total fabrication

The writer of the article needs to learn that arrogant does not mean “extremely confident”.

Peyton Manning, Hendon Hooker, etc. are not arrogant. That doesn’t mean they are not extremely confident.

I mean… I think when you are at a job interview you do your best to have some humility… everything is a test for these nfl guys. Reaction, demeanor, presence all matters. The second I saw that cowboys coach interview i said “welp that’s not good”
it’s the NFL.. the best job in the world.. be humble when answering questions no matter what they are
That coach was out of line with his comments. Completely disrespectful. There's 31 other teams. He doesn't have to bend the knee to 1 WR coach. If you constantly had people saying what you can or can't do and that perception had an impact on your future, I doubt you'd just let them continue to do it and not say anything.

That coach was out of line with his comments. Completely disrespectful. There's 31 other teams. He doesn't have to bend the knee to 1 WR coach. If you constantly had people saying what you can or can't do and that perception had an impact on your future, I doubt you'd just let them continue to do it and not say anything.
Again… as much as I agree with you
he was a 3rd round pick for a reason… after the blintenkoff

Reactions: volfaninky
Again… as much as I agree with you
he was a 3rd round pick for a reason… after the blintenkoff
And it wasn’t because ONE DUDE didn’t like his interview. More likely (as I expressed after his Combine 40) it’s due to him being a slighter speed guy who didn’t post a 4.2 or 4.3 time in shorts. Something that will never be timed again. He’ll earn or not everything from here on out where it really counts. Developing a science around the glorified dog and pony show that is the Combine is an exercise in futility imo.

Reactions: RockyTopTexas
This might be an unpopular opinion: but I think Hyatt is more of an unknown than Tillman - but that's only because Tillman poses prototypical size and exhibited more "strength" than Hyatt. That said, Hyatt only having one great year is an asset -- it means he's only scratched the surface of his potential. I think he has a lot of work to do and I prefer a humble player, but if he continues working like he did last season, he'll be just fine. They need to look at what UT did and emulate it -- create mismatches for him and he will shine.

Yeah and that reason could've been numerous things. Alvin Kamara was a 3rd round pick. JaMarcus Russell was a 1st round pick. They don't exactly have it down to a science.
He won a national award my guy… all the others have been 1st round picks besides James Washington and that’s because he went to osu… technically a gimmicky offense

VN Store

Back